Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-02-2009, 07:15 AM   #1
emi
emi began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 600
Downloading e books from public libraries

:Well I finally received my Sony 600 e reader yesterday.

I am trying to understand how to download an e book from the public library. The county I live in does not have any e books in their system, however, neighboring counties do. Does that mean I am out of luck?

Also, if you download an e book from a library how do you return it. Please excuse me if I sound dumb, but this is all a new experience for me.

Emi
emi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:43 AM   #2
Treadstone71
Treadstone71 doesn't litterTreadstone71 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-300, iPhone 4, iPad 1, Kindle 3rd Gen., Kindle Fire, Nook STR
I've had my 300 for a week. I haven't done this yet, but I'm pretty sure of how it's supposed to work.

You should first check with the neighboring county libraries to see if you can get a library card; chance are that you can. That should give you access to their ebook catalog.

As for the actual downloading, I think you need Adobe Digital Editions installed and authorized, in addition to the Sony software. (This is the part I don't know well yet.)

You don't actually have to "return" borrowed ebooks; the files just expire and become inaccessible. They may stay on your computer and reader until you delete them; you're just not able to read them.
Treadstone71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2009, 09:07 AM   #3
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadstone71 View Post
I've had my 300 for a week. I haven't done this yet, but I'm pretty sure of how it's supposed to work.

You should first check with the neighboring county libraries to see if you can get a library card; chance are that you can. That should give you access to their ebook catalog.

As for the actual downloading, I think you need Adobe Digital Editions installed and authorized, in addition to the Sony software. (This is the part I don't know well yet.)
I needed to install ADE, plus the Overdrive software which handles the borrowing.
Quote:
You don't actually have to "return" borrowed ebooks; the files just expire and become inaccessible. They may stay on your computer and reader until you delete them; you're just not able to read them.
If you return the book early, it frees up that copy for another borower.

WDE.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:47 PM   #4
BookishMom
Connoisseur
BookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheese

Device: K1, K2, and iPad. :)
You may not need to install Adobe Digital Editions anymore. Since Sony released their new eStore software, library books are downloading in the Sony eStore library instead of Digital Editions.
BookishMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:10 PM   #5
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
You need the library card for that county. Example, I live in Dekalb County in Atlanta no ebooks but I used to live in Gwinnett County and have a library card and a pin and they have library ebooks (I'm not interested in their selection so I probably won't use it). Anyway, just sign in into their digital section using your library card number and pin. Choose the PDF or Epud version if they have it. Make sure the new Sony software is downloaded to your computer. When you're ready to check out, there's a download button and it automatically adds it to your Sony library; just move it to your reader from the software. It will expire on it's own or you can send it back early from the software. If you send it back early, it will still remain on your reader until it expire (14 days or 21 days, depending on the library).
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2009, 02:32 PM   #6
emi
emi began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 600
Downloading e books from libraries

Thanks to all who replied to my question about downloading books from libraries.

I only have a library card for my county which does not have e books. However, me son lives a couple of counties away and I will use his card. I do plan on stopping by my local library and asking them if they are ever going to have ebooks.

I love my Sony e reader and plan on buying some books this weekend from Sony's e library. I am sure The Mobilereader Forum is going to be a big help for newbies like myself.

Emi
emi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:39 PM   #7
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Don't forget that Mobileread has many out-of-copyright books available for free here. Make sure you choose either LRF or EPUB.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:27 PM   #8
rjfarrell
Zealot
rjfarrell doesn't litterrjfarrell doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Iphone, Ipad
If your son will share his library card with you, you can check out books using his card from his library.

That is why we have children....to take care of OUR needs when they grow up
rjfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote