Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-30-2012, 05:48 PM   #61
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
Midst Trial and Tribulation by David Weber to be released on September 18th.

Jim
This.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:53 PM   #62
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
Crazy. A book published in 1966 just being sold this year for $10.

Just FYI there are already digital copies around.
Not sure what you mean by crazy. At least 40% of the books I have read in the last year and a half (208 ot of 512 since I have been keeping track in calibre) were published prior to 1997. Probaly more as the dates ae oftennot the dates first published.

A reasonably good book does not have a sell-by date. For me a Nero Wolfe novel reads as good today as the day it was published. Margerie Allingham died in 1966 and her books are timeless as well IMO.

IIRC I have never even checked the first published date before buying a book or borrowing from a library. And I am totally missing the connection between enjoyment/value and first published date. But perhaps I am misunderstanding your post?

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #63
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What is being said is that $10 for an old book is just too high. I agree. A backlist book from 1966 should be no more then $4.99.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:36 PM   #64
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What is being said is that $10 for an old book is just too high. I agree. A backlist book from 1966 should be no more then $4.99.
I guess... Perhaps age equates to quality of writing and words fall of the page.

Sometimes new is better and sometimes it is not, like fine wine and vintage cars. With a lot of stuff value appreciates or depreciates with age. Not books IMO.

Of course there is a growing school of thought that feels that because x people have perhaps bought a book they should get it cheaper, (freeloaders perhaps) but this should have nothing to do with age as some bestsellers gross more in their first few months than most older books ever have. Inflation and peer pressure.

Still if you feel that old books are less enjoyable or less prestigious to own, then you are perfectly within your rights to set the price you will pay or not buy them at all. Stating that the are only worth a price of your choosing seems a bit arbitrary and presumptious. A bit like walking into a restaurant and paying them whatever amount you feel will break them even for the day.

Helen
Old 08-30-2012, 07:42 PM   #65
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I guess... Perhaps age equates to quality of writing and words fall of the page.

Sometimes new is better and sometimes it is not, like fine wine and vintage cars. With a lot of stuff value appreciates or depreciates with age. Not books IMO.

Of course there is a growing school of thought that feels that because x people have perhaps bought a book they should get it cheaper, (freeloaders perhaps) but this should have nothing to do with age as some bestsellers gross more in their first few months than most older books ever have. Inflation and peer pressure.

Still if you feel that old books are less enjoyable or less prestigious to own, then you are perfectly within your rights to set the price you will pay or not buy them at all. Stating that the are only worth a price of your choosing seems a bit arbitrary and presumptious. A bit like walking into a restaurant and paying them whatever amount you feel will break them even for the day.

Helen
Given how eBooks are made these days, paying $10 for an eBook full of OCR/dictionary replace errors is not a good thing. A lot of backlist eBooks are made by scanning then OCRing and not properly proofreading. I just read Sharpe's Tiger and it had a number of errors that would have been caught in a proper proofread. It's a backlist book and It was either a PDF source or a scan/OCR and it showed. One of the characters had his name botched in a number of places. R for it in a few places and other stupid errors. So do you want to pay $10 for an eBook with stupid errors created by someone too lazy to do any proofing?

It's pathetic how backlist eBooks are created. They come through very poor (overall).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2012, 09:29 AM   #66
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Not sure what you mean by crazy. At least 40% of the books I have read in the last year and a half (208 ot of 512 since I have been keeping track in calibre) were published prior to 1997. Probaly more as the dates ae oftennot the dates first published.

A reasonably good book does not have a sell-by date. For me a Nero Wolfe novel reads as good today as the day it was published. Margerie Allingham died in 1966 and her books are timeless as well IMO.

IIRC I have never even checked the first published date before buying a book or borrowing from a library. And I am totally missing the connection between enjoyment/value and first published date. But perhaps I am misunderstanding your post?

Helen
There is lot that's crazy in this story, none of which has to do with the quality of the book, which is independent of its age.

It's crazy that a book published over half a century ago is selling for the same price as a new work, not because it's inferior, but because there are no capital costs to recover for its production.

It's crazy that the book is already available in the UK but not in North America. In the age of digital distribution, it boggles the mind that antiquated laws meant to preserve this kind of artificial scarcity still exist.

Finally, it's crazy that a book written in 1966 by an author who died seven years ago will continue to be sold for profit until 2075. You may not have a problem giving money to publishers and the grandchildren of dead men for doing no work. I do.

Thankfully, fans have already created their own eBook version of The Magus which has been circulating online for some time.

Last edited by holymadness; 08-31-2012 at 09:32 AM.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:01 AM   #67
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You have to bear in mind that I'm a (former) astronomer, and astronomers define seasons by the equinoxes and solstices (that way they work for any planet).

The UK Met Office, on the other hand, follow your view and start the seasons on the 1st of March, June, September, December.

Either way, it's just a convention.
And for book publishers, the Fall season would last until the start of the holiday buying season, which in the US starts the day after Thanksgiving.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:14 PM   #68
Paul Levine
Connoisseur
Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Okay, let's loosen up, people. Whether it's Fall or Winter or whenever....what books are you awaiting with Great Expectations?

Paul Levine
Paul Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:20 PM   #69
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
What? There's a new release of Dickens' - Great Expectations? I'm all for that!

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:20 PM   #70
Prepper
Connoisseur
Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Forma
I pre-ordered Two Graves by Preston & Child, The Racketeer by John Grisham, and Trapped & Two Ravens and One Crow by Kevin Hearne.
Prepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:51 PM   #71
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Levine View Post
Okay, let's loosen up, people. Whether it's Fall or Winter or whenever....what books are you awaiting with Great Expectations?

Paul Levine
My apologies for driving the thread off topic with my responses to posts equating worth of a book to when it was published. Now I am stuck with a headful of replies and no place to put them

Helen
Old 08-31-2012, 10:39 PM   #72
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Has anyone mentioned the new JK Rowling book? I'm excited for that one! Hopes it's good.

sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:02 PM   #73
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
My pick is Cold Days - The Dresden Files (Book #14) by Jim Butcher! Its due out in November & I've already pre-ordered the Kindle version.
Just posting to throw in a "Me too!"
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 02:16 AM   #74
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Has anyone mentioned the new JK Rowling book?
Yes.

I hope it's good, too! Although I'm getting it in hardback, not ebook (with the ebook being so pricey, and with it potentially being something I'll want to have in my shelf, I decided to go for the hardback), so I'll have to wait another two weeks or so after the release date to get it.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 02:29 AM   #75
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I am excited about Winter of the World by Ken Follet, Book Two of the Century Trilogy which is released in a few weeks.

I also am looking forward to Citadel by Kate Mosse, Book Three of the Languedoc Trilogy. It's out in the UK on Sept 13th but not in the US until Oct 25th.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote