Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-25-2007, 02:16 AM   #1
zhopudey
Noobie
zhopudey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (coming soon)
Some basic questions from a noob.

I'll be getting my reader next week. I have a few doubts regarding how to get my ebooks onto the reader.
Currently, I read ebooks on my PC, using ICE Reader Professional. I also use it to organise all my ebooks, and fill in info about author, title, genre etc. But, Ice reader can only export to txt format The exported files are named properly though; as "Author - Title.txt". I downloaded the Connect software, and added a few of these txt files into it, but it does not seem to pick up the author and title from the filename. Is there any software which can batch-convert these txt files to LRC, while taking author and titles from the filenames?

TIA
zhopudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 04:09 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Hmmm - interesting question.

Obviously, text files have no "metadata", so there's little that the Reader can sensibly do with them. What it will do is use the filename as the title, and the file date as the "author", in "Connect" (and on the Reader, too).

Your best bet is probably to find a method of converting to RTF. RTF is a pretty reasonable format for the Reader, and does support title, author, etc.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2007, 07:07 AM   #3
zhopudey
Noobie

Thanks for the reply. But isn't there something which can go thru the filenames, generate the metadata, and save as RTF or something? There are so many utilities which do this for music.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:29 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I take your point, but how vital is a "batch convert"? With music, one might listen to 100 tracks in a day. With a book, you're (probably) only going to read one every few days, so I'd suggest just converting them as you want to read them. Only takes a few second to load into "Word", select "File/Properties", set the author and title, and then save as RTF.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 07:33 AM   #5
zhopudey
Noobie

Yeah, thats probably what I'll do later on.... but this is my first ebook reader, and I was all excited about stuffing it full of books :P
Advert
Old 05-25-2007, 08:38 AM   #6
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Z. I stuffed mine full of books. Its not a problem fro me finding anything. In the light of how long it used to take me to find a new book to read, (Go to library/bookstore... a 30 minutes drive, browse, another 20 to 30 minutes, then drive home put book on shelf etc...) I have 134 books on my reader so far and am planning on getting a ton more. (I added a 2 gig sd card) It takes me less than one minute to browse through all 134 books at ten books per page in the menu section. When I finally choose a book to read, (I read 10 to 15 at once.. I'm an addict!) I bookmark it. When i want to find it, go to bookmarks and there it is.
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 08:51 AM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
The way bookmarks are handle on the Reader is probably one of its best software features, in my opinion.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 09:02 AM   #8
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
I take your point, but how vital is a "batch convert"? With music, one might listen to 100 tracks in a day. With a book, you're (probably) only going to read one every few days, so I'd suggest just converting them as you want to read them. Only takes a few second to load into "Word", select "File/Properties", set the author and title, and then save as RTF.
Here here!
Patience and reading belong to one another! I know we're all avid gadget freaks but taking to a book has to be done with slow pleasure.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 02:29 PM   #9
safin
ebook drooler
safin began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500
I think you should try http://www.bookdesigner.org/wordpress/(book designer)
Although taking 1 book at a time and adding author info is little time consuming, you will still get to format it with more control plus get a far better reading experience.
safin is offline   Reply With Quote