Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-06-2010, 12:53 PM   #1
ChrisR1970
ChrisR1970 plays well with othersChrisR1970 plays well with othersChrisR1970 plays well with othersChrisR1970 plays well with othersChrisR1970 plays well with othersChrisR1970 plays well with othersChrisR1970 plays well with othersChrisR1970 plays well with othersChrisR1970 plays well with othersChrisR1970 plays well with othersChrisR1970 plays well with others

Device: Sony 505
Whats happening to Sony?

I was out shopping with my wife last week and I was looking for Sony accessories. I noticed that Target Stores clearanced out their Sony Merchandise and replaced it with a Kindle display. Best Buy removed their Sony Display also They still sell the Sony but I was told any accessories would have to be ordered online and that they were switching to selling the Barnes and Noble Reader at Best Buy. The Borders where I live is clearancing out Sony devices and the manager said she thought they were going to stop carrying them in stores after the first of the year and sell the KOBO and Cruz readers in store and possibly still have the Sony available online. My question; Is Sony on the way out? The other readers do the same thing and at a fraction of the price and they all read e-pub formats. Is there any advantage to sticking with a Sony if I replace my 505? Has anyone read anything about Sony's future plans?
ChrisR1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:54 PM   #2
devilsadvocate
Complicated Warlock
devilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role model

Device: HP Mini 1101, Droid X rooted, GTab rooted/VEGAnTAB Ginger Edition/CM7
The Best Buy in DeKalb still had Sonys as of this last weekend, including the new 650.
devilsadvocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2010, 02:02 PM   #3
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Well, I'm hoping that there will be new displays when they get the new Readers out there. I've not found any of the new Sony's out yet, but I think it's because they don't have enough manufactured yet. Perhaps the announcement was a little premature.
Just my guess.

The new Readers are their best ever (from what I've heard) and when they get displayed in the stores, like Best Buy, their features and quality will be obvious!

There will always be those willing to pay more for quality and style, just as there will always be those who won't pay any more than they have to.

Really-- they have the 650's in DeKalb?! That's not a bad drive! When I have a working vehicle, that is. Good to know, but I'll make sure and call first!
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:20 PM   #4
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Sorry hon, mistaken part number. Dekalb had a 900, but no 650's yet. I keep looking, because even though I'm happy with my 600, I want to SEE a 650 and compare screens.

ETA: Everywhere we've been in this area except Borders still has their Sony displays. Target's is in a different place than the Kindle display, but it's there. The Best Buy in Bolingbrook just redid theirs...Sony is front and center, along with Nook, but no Kindles when we were there. I don't think Sony is going anywhere at all, I just think they're being really slow getting the new models out there, and if the retail stores don't have any product to work with, what are they supposed to do?

Last edited by phenomshel; 10-06-2010 at 02:24 PM. Reason: clarification.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:22 PM   #5
devilsadvocate
Complicated Warlock
devilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role model

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Sorry hon, mistaken part number. Dekalb had a 900, but no 650's yet. I keep looking, because even though I'm happy with my 600, I want to SEE a 650 and compare screens.
Duuurrr @ Sony model numbers. Sorry for getting anyone's hopes up.
Advert
Old 10-06-2010, 02:34 PM   #6
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post

ETA: Everywhere we've been in this area except Borders still has their Sony displays. Target's is in a different place than the Kindle display, but it's there. The Best Buy in Bolingbrook just redid theirs...Sony is front and center, along with Nook, but no Kindles when we were there. I don't think Sony is going anywhere at all, I just think they're being really slow getting the new models out there, and if the retail stores don't have any product to work with, what are they supposed to do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsadvocate View Post
Duuurrr @ Sony model numbers. Sorry for getting anyone's hopes up.
That's okay! I can be patient. If nothing else, this barn has taught me the meaning of patience! I just would love to see them out in the stores too. But, I'm saving my Sony Rewards points up for the 650. It's on my Sony Rewards wishlist, but they still show them as "Temporarily Out of Stock" there too. So, I'm hoping to have enough points by the time they are available in the Sony Rewards catalog!
Old 10-06-2010, 03:24 PM   #7
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebarnmom View Post
But, I'm saving my Sony Rewards points up for the 650. It's on my Sony Rewards wishlist, but they still show them as "Temporarily Out of Stock" there too. So, I'm hoping to have enough points by the time they are available in the Sony Rewards catalog!
Last time I looked, they had the points (price) for the 350 on the 650 on the Sony Rewards site. Wonder if they'll catch that when they make it live?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:52 PM   #8
rebarnmom
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Last time I looked, they had the points (price) for the 350 on the 650 on the Sony Rewards site. Wonder if they'll catch that when they make it live?
Shhh! I noticed that too! I'm hoping they don't!
Old 10-06-2010, 04:42 PM   #9
lord_blackfang
Enthusiast
lord_blackfang has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisR1970 View Post
Is there any advantage to sticking with a Sony if I replace my 505? Has anyone read anything about Sony's future plans?
Who cares about Sony's future plans? The readers are out now and they're awesome. They won't suddenly stop working because Best Buy doesn't carry them anymore. If you get one now, the e-reader market will be so different by the time you need to replace it that it's pointless to plan ahead.
lord_blackfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:54 PM   #10
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
If you're concerned about being in the popular crowd, go with a Kindle.

It's common for stores like Target to take down displays as inventory is cleared. They won't leave up a display if the inventory isn't there. They also shift inventory to stores where they know that particular product will sell. Not all Targets carry the same stock.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:05 AM   #11
ChrisR1970
ChrisR1970 plays well with othersChrisR1970 plays well with othersChrisR1970 plays well with othersChrisR1970 plays well with othersChrisR1970 plays well with othersChrisR1970 plays well with othersChrisR1970 plays well with othersChrisR1970 plays well with othersChrisR1970 plays well with othersChrisR1970 plays well with othersChrisR1970 plays well with others

Device: Sony 505
I am not concerned with being popular in the crowd. I simply noticed that the device was dissappearing where I live and I was concerned about support for the product. Sony's customer service and support for their products stinks as it is. I just did not want a device that will be hard to get accessories, or support for should something go wrong. I refuse to buy products that I can not hold in my hand and evaluate first, so I rarely order anything online. I was just concerned about the availability of the product and its accessories.
ChrisR1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:37 AM   #12
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
I think we can expect Sony Readers to be around for a while. Sony has traditionally kept product lines going even in the face of swift competition-- see their PC lines and Playstations, plus they are pushing it hard in Japan.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:03 AM   #13
devilsadvocate
Complicated Warlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryWes View Post
I think we can expect Sony Readers to be around for a while. Sony has traditionally kept product lines going even in the face of swift competition-- see their PC lines and Playstations, plus they are pushing it hard in Japan.
Well, yeah, but there's also the Betamax and MiniDisc thing. I don't think support will disappear anytime soon, but they may have to pull a rabbit out of their hat to stay competitive.

Last edited by devilsadvocate; 10-07-2010 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:38 PM   #14
SaraD
Groupie
SaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with others

Device: Sony 650, Basic Kindle 7th generation
I think it is just taking more time than anticipated to stock the retailers. Yesterday morning Newegg.com had no Sony units at all for sale. Then last night for whatever reason I looked again and the 350 was available in pink. So I now expect to see the silver one shortly and then finally the 650 and some covers. Target's website says the units won't ship for 2 to weeks if you try to put a 650 in the shopping cart, but it is there now. Best Buy where I live has the silver 350 for sale, but still the old demo units. Then again, they are still trying to sell off the last of the old models. The wait is frustrating, but given how many more countries Sony is now officially selling readers in I wonder if they properly estimated demand. I just hope supply levels are fixed by November and the start of the US's holiday shopping season.
SaraD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:07 PM   #15
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
It has looked to me as though Sony is going for worldwide sales on their reader line, so I'm not concerned by anecdotal retail movements in the US. I think they'll support the product for a long time.

When it comes to support, btw, I have ALWAYS had a good response when I email them. The online chat and phone reps are terrible though.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote