Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 12-08-2013, 07:03 AM   #1
martienne
.~^пиратка^~.
martienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Onyx Boox M92
[SOLVED] Firmware not updating (M92)

Hi all, I downloaded the latest firmware and put on an empty SD card that is recognised by the M92. I rebooted as per instructions, but nothing.
Firmware remains the release from May which was on the device when I got it.

The takes on naming convention seems to vary, manual says update_onyx.upd and Onyx site says update-2012xxxx.zip in zip format.

Well, nothing works!

Any tips appreciated!

Last edited by martienne; 12-09-2013 at 10:22 AM.
martienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:44 AM   #2
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by martienne View Post
Hi all, I downloaded the latest firmware and put on an empty SD card that is recognised by the M92. I rebooted as per instructions, but nothing.
Firmware remains the release from May which was on the device when I got it.

The takes on naming convention seems to vary, manual says update_onyx.upd and Onyx site says update-2012xxxx.zip in zip format.

Well, nothing works!

Any tips appreciated!
Hi,

are you sure you did it exactly as instruction says:

Don't rename the update file. Just copy it as is to your SD Card.

M92 shuold be powered off, before starting the process.
Press joystick OK button and hold it, then press power button.

When it shows “software update request detected, Checking updates” at the bottom of the screen, release OK button. It takes around 5-7 minutes to finish the updating. The device will shut down automatically after the update is completed

If update failures

Please check whether there is firmware in SD/TF card; whether the firmware is correct; whether the CD Card is recognized by M92.

If it still does not work, please contact me.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:44 AM   #3
JHarry
Connoisseur
JHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Hi,

When it shows “software update request detected, Checking updates” at the bottom of the screen, release OK button. It takes around 5-7 minutes to finish the updating. The device will shut down automatically after the update is completed

If update failures

Please check whether there is firmware in SD/TF card; whether the firmware is correct; whether the CD Card is recognized by M92.

Hi!
First I'd like to thank for what you done !

My question is M92 stopped when updating and said "Update Complete.Starting up..."(for a long time,maybe 10mintues?),I reseted and it seemed I have installed the 20131204 successfully, what does it mean when it stopped?Is there anything wrong or just ...?
(I have installed 201304XX.zip for my M92 over Onyx-international.com)

Last edited by JHarry; 12-09-2013 at 07:47 AM.
JHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:21 AM   #4
martienne
.~^пиратка^~.
martienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshesmartienne can read faster than his screen refreshes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
Hi,

If update failures

(Hi, yeah I bought it from you shop actually :-)

Your tip solved the problem.
It worked after I held down the Joystick OK button at startup. Somehow I missed that I was supposed to do that.

But once I did, it recognised the new update and everything went well.
martienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:38 AM   #5
Buecherwurm92
Buecherwurm92 began at the beginning.

Can't update to 20131204

I am having the same problem described earlier in this thread, with the most recent update (20131204).

When I reboot the Boox with the update on the SD card, and joystick button pressed, it says "Software update request detected, checking updates) at the bottom of the screen. And then... nothing happens until I reset the reader. Yesterday I waited for two hours to make sure it's not just slow.

I have installed updates in the past without any trouble. Suspecting a problem with my SD card, I took a fresh one, erased it completely, reformatted it with a single FAT partition, and copied just the update file on it. The Boox recognizes the card and shows the file, but doesn't recognize it as an update.

I am out of ideas - what can I do to make some progress on this issues?
Buecherwurm92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:10 AM   #6
Buecherwurm92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buecherwurm92 View Post
I am out of ideas - what can I do to make some progress on this issues?
I saw Booxtor's reference to a flashing tool for the M92 (MfgTool) in another thread, so I downloaded it... to find out that it's Windows software. I don't have any Windows machine, so it's useless for me. Is there similar software for Mac or Linux?
Old 01-23-2014, 09:45 AM   #7
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Do you have try to use Wine under Linux to use the tool ?

I don't know how the USB is managed under Wine ...
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:57 AM   #8
Buecherwurm92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
Do you have try to use Wine under Linux to use the tool ?

I don't know how the USB is managed under Wine ...
As far as I know, Wine doesn't manage hardware at all. It's just an application-level simulation of the Windows API. Device drivers and systems stuff don't work under Wine.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:52 AM   #9
ledmike
ledmike began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox m92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buecherwurm92 View Post
I am having the same problem described earlier in this thread, with the most recent update (20131204).

When I reboot the Boox with the update on the SD card, and joystick button pressed, it says "Software update request detected, checking updates) at the bottom of the screen. And then... nothing happens until I reset the reader.
Same problem but instead of frozing the device simply start without making any installation after showing the message "Software update request detected, checking updates". When i check the device information the firmware is always 1.8 20130407.

I used two SD cards, formatted but nothing changes from card to card.
Someone has some useful advice?
Thanks
ledmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:03 AM   #10
nhld
nhld began at the beginning.

Device: M92
Same problem here. Current firmware version is 1.8 20121224 which is the version device was shipped with. Both 2013.07.17 and 2013.12.04 updates are being ignored by device (it just shows message "checking updates" and then boots as usual). I've tried formatting sdcard through Linux and Windows with the same result. Once M92 boots, sdcard is recognized just fine.

Is there some dubugging procedure or manual way to install updates? Can I ssh to device and check install logs or something along those lines?

Also, the only problem I want to fix by updating is that web-browser doesn't remember "Full refresh" mode. Maybe I can fix it without doing full update?
nhld is offline   Reply With Quote