Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-30-2012, 03:42 AM   #1
fvzwieten
fvzwieten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fvzwieten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fvzwieten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fvzwieten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fvzwieten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Bebook Neo
Question Award management

Hi,

I am an avid SF literature reader and collector. I am managing all my e-books with Calibre. In the SF scene there are quite a few awards to be won. The 2 most well known are the Nebula and the Hugo awards, but there are plenty more. I would like to put this info into Calibre, but I am having a hard time on how to do this. A book can be "nominated" or "have won" an award, in a certain category (Novel, Novelette, Novella, Short Story) and in a certain year. All awards agree on the category, so I made a seperate column with fixed values for that. However, there could be a situation like this:

Won the "Nebula" Award for best "Novel" in "1987"
Won the "Hugo" Award for best "Novel" in "1988"
Nominated the "Arthur C. Clark" Award for best "Novel" in "1987"

Typically, an award has a number of nominees, and one or sometimes two win the award in a certain year.

Now, how to put all this into Calibre is the task at hand!
fvzwieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:10 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Two things came to my mind with this:

- Use a series-like column. So a series could be "Nebula for Novel" with the year used as the series index. The decimal could be used to indicate the winner and nominees. The problem with this is what to do with multiple award winners.

- The other way is to use a tag type column. In this case, the tags would be hierarchical. So, "Nebula.Novel.1987" and "Hugo.Novel.1988". For the nominees, maybe "Nebula.Novel.1987.Nominee". With this, you can search for any part of the tag and the tag browser can show these as a hierarchy.

I sort of like the first one, but I think the second is more flexible and extendable.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:54 AM   #3
fvzwieten
fvzwieten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fvzwieten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fvzwieten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fvzwieten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fvzwieten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I like the second one. I made a custom field called Awards and made it hierarchical. Works nice. Now struggeling with searching in it. How to search for all Nebula Winners when the structure is "Nebula.1988.Winner"? I read about regexp but can't seem to get it right.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:03 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The following found all Hugos for 1985 for my small test set.

Quote:
#awards:"Hugo" and #awards:"1985"
So, try:
Quote:
#awards:"Nebula" and #awards:"Winner"
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:52 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fvzwieten View Post
I like the second one. I made a custom field called Awards and made it hierarchical. Works nice. Now struggeling with searching in it. How to search for all Nebula Winners when the structure is "Nebula.1988.Winner"? I read about regexp but can't seem to get it right.
The easiest way to learn how to build searches on hierarchical columns is to use the tag browser. It will show you the syntax to do a full match and to match items in the front of the hierarchy. For example, in your case click on the "1988" in the Awards section of the tag browser. Each click will show you a different search. IIRC: there will be 5.

There is one search that the tag browser doesn't show: how to search for an internal match. For example, to find all 1988 regardless of the award, use
Code:
#award:=..1988
Note the 2 periods. One period there means that the text must be a prefix. Two periods means that the text must match an internal item in the hierarchy. The equals means it must match the entire prefix or item.

To summarize: to find all Nebula winners (not runner-up or whatever else there can be) use:
Code:
#award:=.Nebula and #award:=..Winner
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:51 AM   #6
fvzwieten

Both solutions work well. Thank you very much!

Just out of curiousity: Would it be possible to have some sort of positional search, where the position in the hierarchy is part of the search criteria. Also wildcarding is would be nice. Someting like #award:="Nebula.20*.Winner". This would then give all Nebula Winners from the last century.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:59 AM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fvzwieten View Post
Both solutions work well. Thank you very much!

Just out of curiousity: Would it be possible to have some sort of positional search, where the position in the hierarchy is part of the search criteria. Also wildcarding is would be nice. Someting like #award:="Nebula.20*.Winner". This would then give all Nebula Winners from the last century.
The first one, positional searches, is only possible using regular expressions. The second, wildcarding, also can be done with regular expression searches. For example, your search would be written
Code:
#award:"~^Nebula\.20.*\.Winner$"
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:32 AM   #8
fvzwieten

Great! Thank you all for your help!

Tags
awards, custom columns