Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-17-2010, 11:39 AM   #46
Samantha45
Connoisseur
Samantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajoob View Post
We're not allowed to give you explicit directions on this site. Here are some terms to Google: 'mobidedrm' and 'inept decrypter'
No I know you aren't. I'm just trying to confirm if the DRM has to be broken before I can do it. I can only find PC instructions anyhow.
Samantha45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 04:58 PM   #47
bmacaskill
Enthusiast
bmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheese

I just emailed a friend on the same subject. As I said to him:

After several days it's clear that speed is such a factor: with the Kobo, you hesitate to back up a page because of how long it'll take; with the K3, you fling yourself about with abandon, leaping from book to Wiki to email to book to table of contents to list of characters... it's a wonder the book gets read at all ;-)
bmacaskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2010, 05:06 PM   #48
bmacaskill
Enthusiast
bmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheesebmacaskill can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
I don't have k3 and am eager to ask question that is obvious to you, who
have the device. Does it run any kind of data base to have information,
like kobo? How long it takes to handle new books? Does usb cable connect
to any power charger, aside native kindle one? Some issue with battery
indicator, or it shows state without jumps?
A little comparison kobo vs k3 would be fine. Pics and user experience.
It looks to me like there is no database equivalent; books are stored under \documents\author in .mobi format (I don't have any non-mobi content). Books are indexed instead, but the indexes are stored separately.

New books are added instantaneously; no delay like the Kobo.

The USB cable charges when attached to the PC (like the Kobo). The cable also attaches to a plug that goes into the wall.

It has an excellent battery indicator, and the K3 with WiFi on seems to last much longer on batter than the Kobo.
bmacaskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 05:21 PM   #49
ZombWii
Enthusiast
ZombWii began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
Wow!!!!!
. People should not follow the way to an abyss.
My point is that nobody could go after Calibre for they convert formats.
Just as nobody could go after me for breaking my LP into 2 pieces.
To clarify. My understanding is that you own the physical media...be it the eReader hardware, DVD disc, LP...etc. But you do not own the soft-contents.
The LP, DVD etc..is just the way in which it it delivered to you.
If you want to smash your LPs, great...feel free. However, you may not replicate that LP (or whatever) and distribute it or especially sell those copies for profit. That is the big no-no.
If you choose to sell the original LP, it is understood that you sell the rights to the contents as well. So although making a single personal 'back-up' is a generally accepted right these days (though I think it remains a legal grey area) you would not be legally allowed to keep any back-ups of material you no longer own the original of.

I looked this morning, and my Kobo had about 121 pages of credits, but mainly legalese in the "About" section regarding licenses and rights and whatnot. Much credit to the Kobo people for trying to forward an open format existence but even they don't own some of the software on the Kobo. It's largely licensed. Some of it is free-to-distribute and some of it is not i.e. Adobe.

As for other matters, I don't know a whole lot about Calibre, but have used it a bit here and there and think it's a wonderfully versatile and powerful program. To the person who said that Calibre does not "strip" DRM, I am only going on what I have read, but if the DRM applied to an ePub follows the conversion to Mobi and back to ePub then you are indeed correct. You are merely circumventing the DRM. Somehow, though, I imagine that when eBook is, as some of you idealistically say "liberated" of it's DRM, the change is permanent. If that is not the case then I guess I've learned something new today.

That's it, I'm done on this...it's OT.
ZombWii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:47 PM   #50
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacaskill View Post
After several days it's clear that speed is such a factor: with the Kobo, you hesitate to back up a page because of how long it'll take; with the K3, you fling yourself about with abandon, leaping from book to Wiki to email to book to table of contents to list of characters... it's a wonder the book gets read at all ;-)
Yes, exactly -- but even so, despite these defects you mention, I still like the Kindle 3.

But the Kobo is much less distracting since I'm not "leaping" about to Wiki and e-mail ... I'm just enjoying the read. As Kobo demonstrates, sometimes "simple" is a feature, not a bug!
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2010, 08:50 PM   #51
newfiekat
newfiekat began at the beginning.

Im waiting for my Kobo to arrive next week and I cant wait ...but to me getting Wifi is not that important for my ereader. I have a laptop, and a smartphone for that stuff. I just want my ebook to read...I hope I dont change my mind on that lol
newfiekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:28 PM   #52
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfiekat View Post
Im waiting for my Kobo to arrive next week and I cant wait ...but to me getting Wifi is not that important for my ereader. I have a laptop, and a smartphone for that stuff. I just want my ebook to read...I hope I dont change my mind on that lol
I think the same way.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:59 PM   #53
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfiekat View Post
you can still read Kobo books on both those things as well. I use the (NEW AND IMPROVED) Kobo Android app for most of my reading and purchasing, but switch to the Kobo eReader during times when I want to read outside.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:19 PM   #54
JPenguin
Connoisseur
JPenguin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader, Kobo for Palm Pre
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
you can still read Kobo books on both those things as well. I use the (NEW AND IMPROVED) Kobo Android app for most of my reading and purchasing, but switch to the Kobo eReader during times when I want to read outside.
Wanna update the webOS app too?? I realize that the webOS app probably does get a lot less users than iOS, Android or BlackBerry OS but it'd be nice to have an update too. At least we do have an app while I don't think Amazon or B&N offer one for webOS.

Although wouldn't the eInk be better for reading outside I have used the Kobo app on my Pre several times when I'm waiting for appointments or queuing etc, it's great for the moments when you wouldn't have thought to have brought a book.
JPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:25 PM   #55
Zyzomys
Hooked on Phonics
Zyzomys began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I am only going on what I have read, but if the DRM applied to an ePub follows the conversion to Mobi and back to ePub then you are indeed correct. You are merely circumventing the DRM.
calibre does not work with ebooks that have DRM restriction - at least it will not convert it to any other format if there is DRM. I buy the majority of my ebooks from KoboBooks, remove DRM, and then load them into calibre for conversion to mobi. Some people will read this sentence and focus on the fact that I removed DRM, I instead focus on that I purchased the book from KoboBooks. Bookstores and publishers need sales growth - worrying about what I read my purchase on does not help KoboBooks bottom line.
Zyzomys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:38 AM   #56
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Some interesting discussion on the Kobo and K3--I bought a netbook right before the price of K3 went to 139. I just traveled with the netbook and it did GREAT as a reader.

I briefly considered Kobo because of the price, but I buy most of my books on Amazon (because of price) and wasn't sure if the epub was DRM'd or not and so on. I also found very little feedback on people who owned one, so this is good info to have. I get asked a lot about which reader I have and prefer...and since I only have the netbook, I like to be able to point people to reviews/discussions.

When I was on the plane, TWICE the flight attendants mentioned kindle specifically: "All electronic devices must be turned off...this includes the Kindle..."

I don't know why, but that made me smile.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:33 AM   #57
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

If you think kobo has some glitches, you should take a look at
k3 forums. Seems that performance problem was solved with
alpha 3.0.2 firmware. Or it is too early to show up. My first impres-
sion was that communities were different, but after a bit of reading,
I have to confirm that people are the same all around the world.
Luckily.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:41 AM   #58
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
I've been doing a lot of flying also lately and the flight crew has not mentioned kindle, but they do say "electronic books" and "ipads" must be turned off. I have seen mostly ipads, kindles and nooks, but no one with a sony or kobo on any of the flights and our airport even has a Borders with kobos and micro cruz in the the store. Don't like the cruz much after trying it. The touch screen does not seem very sensitive to touch like the ipad and kobo screen was much easier to read.
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 02:27 PM   #59
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by peitsao View Post
I've been doing a lot of flying also lately and the flight crew has not mentioned kindle, but they do say "electronic books" and "ipads" must be turned off. I have seen mostly ipads, kindles and nooks, but no one with a sony or kobo on any of the flights and our airport even has a Borders with kobos and micro cruz in the the store. Don't like the cruz much after trying it. The touch screen does not seem very sensitive to touch like the ipad and kobo screen was much easier to read.
I don't fly much so it was the first time I had heard it.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:34 AM   #60
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzomys View Post
calibre does not work with ebooks that have DRM restriction - at least it will not convert it to any other format if there is DRM. I buy the majority of my ebooks from KoboBooks, remove DRM, and then load them into calibre for conversion to mobi. Some people will read this sentence and focus on the fact that I removed DRM, I instead focus on that I purchased the book from KoboBooks. Bookstores and publishers need sales growth - worrying about what I read my purchase on does not help KoboBooks bottom line.
I do the exact same thing, but without converting to Mobi. I strip the DRM so I can change the margins and so that later on if I change readers I can easily convert them to whatever format I want/need.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo kindle 3 k3 switch