Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-20-2008, 04:51 AM   #1
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
Smile Kindle is back in stock!

The loooooooong wait is over! Grab one if you haven't.
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:45 PM   #2
XK143
XK143 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage - Back again after trying them all!
And with free expedited shipping as well (maybe they always did that for this thing). Ordered mine late Sunday night and it was on the doorstep by Wednesday at lunchtime. Well, Amazon, it worked...I'm already buying!
XK143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2008, 03:14 PM   #3
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by XK143 View Post
And with free expedited shipping as well (maybe they always did that for this thing). Ordered mine late Sunday night and it was on the doorstep by Wednesday at lunchtime. Well, Amazon, it worked...I'm already buying!
Ain't it a shame that they make it so easy to spend money?

Taking a clue from Amazon, our friends over at FeedBooks have done something similar which allows you to download directly from their site to the Kindle. Use the experimental browser to connect to http://feedbooks.mobi/ or download the Kindle Guide from http://www.feedbooks.com/kindleguide Open the Kindle Guide on the Kindle, and when you find a book that you want, use the cursor on the Kindle to select it for downloading over the WhisperNet connection.

Welcome to the community of Kindle users.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 04:05 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by XK143 View Post
Same here. Ordered Sunday afternoon, arrived Wednesday with free 2 day shipping.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 04:53 PM   #5
XK143
XK143 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage - Back again after trying them all!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post

Taking a clue from Amazon, our friends over at FeedBooks have done something similar which allows you to download directly from their site to the Kindle. Use the experimental browser to connect to http://feedbooks.mobi/ or download the Kindle Guide from http://www.feedbooks.com/kindleguide Open the Kindle Guide on the Kindle, and when you find a book that you want, use the cursor on the Kindle to select it for downloading over the WhisperNet connection.

I've seen the site but didn't know I could download wirelessly to my Kindle. Thanx for the info. And thanx for the welcome!
XK143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2008, 07:51 PM   #6
Shenzhov
Enthusiast
Shenzhov began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I received my Kindle today and I have to say that so far I love it. As many have said in these forums, it looks much nicer in person than in the pictures. I've owned a Sony 505 for about 3 months and I have had more fun with my Kindle in several hours than all the months with the Sony. I really like the Kindle page buttons as I find the Sony buttons much to hard to push and way too small. They become a distraction for me on the Sony. I can see how you can accidently push the Kindle page forward if you are not careful, but after using it a few minutes I found it no problem at all. I'm sure being left handed may have helped me.

The ability to download right from the Kindle store without the need of a computer really makes the device much more useful in my opinion. I could not quite figure out at first why I was enjoying the Kindle so much more than the Sony and then I realized it just feels like a more complete reading experience.

Mac users will understand what I mean by this. When you boot your Mac, it's a totally different feeling than when you have to boot up a PC. I smile when I'm on my Mac, I never smile when I have to boot my PC. The Kindle vs. The Sony reminds me of that feeling. There is nothing wrong with the Sony, it's a fine device, but sometimes there is more to the experience than just getting the job done.

So I'd say if you are sitting on the fence thinking about what device to get, go ahead and try the Kindle, I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Shenzhov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:46 AM   #7
MoSo
Crankier than average
MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MoSo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle #1, Kindle #2; internet appliance - The Chumby.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post

Welcome to the community of Kindle users.
I tried this and kept getting "internal server error" so I used my laptop to go to the main site and got the same error. I'd say feedbooks is having a slight problem currently. Doubtless it will be fixed shortly.
MoSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 01:13 PM   #8
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I hear so many criticisms of the Kindle along the lines of "You don't really NEED a dictionary. You can just grab a dictionary and look stuff up. You don't really NEED to search. If I want to search my books, or the web or Wikipedia I just do it on the computer. You don't really NEED to access the store from the device. It's easy to go online from your computer, download the books and transfer them via USB." Yeah. I don't NEED any of this stuff but put it all together and it enhances my reading experience. I'm not a technophobe. I'm quite capable of managing my devices without everything being done for me. But when you have something that just works and works elegantly, it's a joy to behold, like your Mac. (Ubuntu, for me.)
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote