Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-20-2008, 05:01 AM   #1
searcher
Connoisseur
searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505
Amazon Kindle out of stock again - back in a few weeks

Today, on Amazon's frontpage:

Quote:
Dear Customers, We had high hopes for Kindle before its launch, but we didn't expect the demand that actually materialized. We sold out in the first 5 ½ hours and have been scrambling to increase our manufacturing capacity ever since. We've been shipping on a first-come, first-served basis, but many customers have had to wait as long as six weeks after ordering. We hope to be able to announce to you within the next few weeks that we are back in stock and that when you order a Kindle, we'll ship it to you that very same day. That's our goal: order today, and we ship today. Until then, customers can order now, and they'll be first in line. For those of you who've waited six weeks to get your Kindle, you have our sincere thanks for your patience. Many of you have written detailed and thoughtful customer reviews, and we're grateful for that too.

I found this delectable-looking Kindle cake on the web - it's the ultimate geek compliment!

Happy reading.
Jeff Bezos
Founder & CEO
Btw, the cake Jeff is talking about can be found here.

Last edited by searcher; 03-20-2008 at 05:26 AM.
searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:38 AM   #2
guguy
Groupie
guguy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Considering the launch of the PRS-505 in two weeks in the UK... Well, it may be linked
with a possible european launch of a Kindle+, don't you think so?
guguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2008, 11:04 AM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
still no numbers on how many were actually sold
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 01:00 PM   #4
JAcheson
Tech Writer
JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Nook Color, Nook Simple Touch, Vizio Tablet, Nexus 10
At the very least, the "giggle factor" regarding ebook readers should be dying down.

Though, the fractured nature of the market with all the competing file formats is still an issue.
JAcheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 01:04 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
still no numbers on how many were actually sold
How many what? Kindles?

Bookeen seem to be being supplied with 2000-3000 units per month by PVI. It's probably reasonable to "guesstimate" that Amazon are getting around about the same number.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2008, 01:13 PM   #6
searcher
Connoisseur
searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.searcher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Actually the big news is that Amazon promises enough supply within the "next few weeks". Maybe PVI will start to manufacture more displays.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:36 PM   #7
guguy
Groupie
guguy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
How many what? Kindles?

Bookeen seem to be being supplied with 2000-3000 units per month by PVI. It's probably reasonable to "guesstimate" that Amazon are getting around about the same number.
Amazon is a much more important customer for PVI than bookeen so just
like Intel supply in priority their processors to Apple and Dell I guess PVI
supply in priority their e-ink screens to Amazon!

So I reckon 5000-6000 units per month is much more realistic.
guguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 01:49 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The fact that the Kindle is out of stock is not newsworthy. Bookeen and Sony and iRex have all been out of stock and it's just as not newsworthy.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:43 PM   #9
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by searcher View Post
Actually the big news is that Amazon promises enough supply within the "next few weeks". Maybe PVI will start to manufacture more displays.
I don't think saying that he "hopes" to be back in stock in a few weeks can really be taken as a promise. I know they've gotten a lot of criticism from people waiting on their orders for not being more specific about exact shipping dates but this is why they avoid it. If they say they "hope" to have something, people do start taking it as a promise. When they fail to meet an "estimated" delivery date on an order people get their noses out of joint because they somehow construed "estimated" as "guaranteed".
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:44 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I don't think saying that he "hopes" to be back in stock in a few weeks can really be taken as a promise.
Of course it's not a promise. I could say "I hope to win the lottery next week. That doesn't (unfortunately) mean that I will do so .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:02 PM   #11
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Of course it's not a promise. I could say "I hope to win the lottery next week. That doesn't (unfortunately) mean that I will do so .
Just remember that if you ever do win the lottery Harry, you aren't allowed to retire to some beach somewhere and enjoy all your time reading e-books. I would hope that you stay home and post even more ebooks because of all the extra spare time you would have. That way we could benefit from your lottery as well.

I'm just sayin....
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:24 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is just silly. Amazon says we hope to have more units and everyone goes nuts. Other companies like Bookeen say it and nobody feels it's newsworthy. To be honest, it's not newsworthy. The Kindle is no more special then the Gen3, the 505, the iLiad, V3, or whatever.

Now if this was "We HAVE all the units needed to fill ALL the backorders" and it meant that PVI has ramped up production or some such then yes it would would worthy of all the attention.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:24 PM   #13
searcher
Connoisseur

Quote:
I don't think saying that he "hopes" to be back in stock in a few weeks can really be taken as a promise.
Back in stock for immediate purchase. This is something new for Kindle. We'll see that.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:36 PM   #14
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I think that was always their plan: to have them always in stock for immediate purchase. I don't see that as being anything extraordinary. Still, hope != promise.

Jon - I don't see that everyone is going nuts here. It seems a pretty tepid response to tepid news IMO.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 05:31 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I think that was always their plan: to have them always in stock for immediate purchase. I don't see that as being anything extraordinary. Still, hope != promise.

Jon - I don't see that everyone is going nuts here. It seems a pretty tepid response to tepid news IMO.
Well there is also another thread in the Kindle forum on the very same topic.