Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-25-2013, 04:50 AM   #346
Akirainblack
abibliophobic
Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV jailbroken
@KillerKlown
This will not remove adds.
Akirainblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:24 AM   #347
PeterBr
Enthusiast
PeterBr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Mini Retina, iBooks on Mavrericks
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerKlown View Post
Damn! It doesn't work... I'm still getting ads after turning off.
I installed python 0.3.N, restarted, installed linkss 0.7.N, restarted, made *.png file (greyscale 600x800), did everything as described, put it next to some other file in the screensaver folder, restarted and... nothing

Yes, it is in the first post:

„Note for Kindle Special Offers Users:

This doesn't, and won't ever, help you bypass something you agreed to (screensaver ads), so please stop asking.“
PeterBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2013, 06:27 AM   #348
PeterBr
Enthusiast
PeterBr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Mini Retina, iBooks on Mavrericks
As far as I understand the process, the hack watches an “open a book”-event and does his stuff, i.e. creating (if necessary) and copying the cover to the screensavers image. Is the a a „leave a book“ event?

In that case, it would be possible to implement yet another feature: Having both book covers and custom images as screen savers. Would be useful sometimes, I think.
PeterBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:47 AM   #349
damirah
damirah began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
@damirah, you can relatively easy replace Waterstone screensaver with your own if you have basic Unix shell skills and install USBNetwork.
Thanks a lot, this helped!
damirah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:33 AM   #350
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenH View Post
...And now no matter how long I wait in various books, I can't seem to get the screensaver to update. Using black option and cover.
Did you empty the cover cache folder of previous cover screensavers? It seems it will not make new cover images of books that already have a cover image in the folder. (also, if you change your personal info, you need to delete the pinfo image in the cover cache folder so that it will generate a new pinfo image with the new information).
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2013, 03:17 PM   #351
fotyc
fotyc began at the beginning.

I am getting ready to pay off Amazon for the special offers thing for my PW, update to 5.3.3, etc. (I have 5.3.1 currently). I'd like to install the screensaver hack too - what order would you recommend I do these in? I saw a couple of threads where people paid to do away with the special offers, then installed the hack and had to call Amazon because the special offers came back... I think.
If I have the hack running on my PW, will a future firmware upgrade mess it up, or get messed up?
Thanks for some advice on this! I would like to do these things in the optimum order.
fotyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:22 PM   #352
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Install the jailbreak for the paperwhite 5.3.1 **NOW**.
Before you go even close to disabling the airplane mode!
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:25 PM   #353
peterbruells
peterbruells doesn't litterpeterbruells doesn't litter

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Install the jailbreak for the paperwhite 5.3.1 **NOW**.
Before you go even close to disabling the airplane mode!
Why is that, if I may ask?

Does the latest update install itself automatically?

If so, can this feature get disabled?
peterbruells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #354
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbruells View Post
Why is that, if I may ask?

Does the latest update install itself automatically?

If so, can this feature get disabled?
You may.
Yes.
Keep in airplane mode.

Since you will have to connect to Amazon to get the special offers removed, you want the Jailbreak to be in-place before you do that.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:45 PM   #355
urbster1
urbster1 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.urbster1 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.urbster1 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.urbster1 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.urbster1 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.urbster1 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.urbster1 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.urbster1 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.urbster1 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.urbster1 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.urbster1 can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kindle Touch
I installed this on my KT today with 5.3.2 update (already jailbroken, first python then linkss). I have paid to remove SO. Unfortunately no photos seem to be showing up or if they do they are taking forever. I don't want covers, just my own custom images. I have restarted a couple times but the only screensaver images I saw were the stock Amazon photos, so I deleted those images out of the /linkss/screensavers folder. Since then nothing else has shown up, the book is just open and no images are appearing. I have also both used "Restart" from the Kindle menu as well as the 'reboot' method from the linkss folder. I see the message "checking screensavers" but still no images are showing up over the open book. Should I uninstall and then reinstall? Not sure what is going wrong.

edit: I uninstalled it and reinstalled it, same thing. I have figured out that instead of displaying a picture, it just shows the page or the front screen, although it is technically asleep. So I need to press the power button first to wake it back up, but there are no images being shown on the screen.

Last edited by urbster1; 01-25-2013 at 07:51 PM.
urbster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:17 PM   #356
AllenH
Enthusiast
AllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
Did you empty the cover cache folder of previous cover screensavers? It seems it will not make new cover images of books that already have a cover image in the folder. (also, if you change your personal info, you need to delete the pinfo image in the cover cache folder so that it will generate a new pinfo image with the new information).
Hi GoSharks!

Yup- I removed the generated covers (to my hard-drive as they were nice)- but left the basics there of course (blanks for other features). Not using pinfo yet, just cover and black.

The strange thing is everything was working before, so I'm suspicious of either necessary rebooting or perhaps a bad update somehow. Note that I didn't see changes in folder modification dates or files with a cursory glance. Python however did show a newer folder date when updated.

Thanks for all suggestions!

ps- if there's a method for uninstall that doesn't lose the stock screen-savers, I guess I could go that route?

QUESTION: Is an ASIN embedded into the book necessary for the screensaver hack to work? I see that it uses the ASIN to name the screensaver it makes, but what if it doesn't have an ASIN (i.e. converted via Calibre)?

Last edited by AllenH; 01-25-2013 at 10:42 PM. Reason: added question
AllenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:10 PM   #357
AllenH
Enthusiast
AllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenAllenH has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Confirmation: culprit was a bad update (on my end) - the "info" file shows it was at 0.6N- something about my update broke the process. So, I'm going to uninstall 0.6N and update with 0.7N and see how it works.

See above for how I updated- I simply added the .bin updates, first for python, installed the update (saw the folder date change), then updated the linkss using the .bin, and didn't see a folder change.

Update: Well, the 0.6N uninstaller did not work. So, that means something was changed, but not apparently a full update to 0.7N, or else I'd assume I'd see changes and the 0.7N info file update. So, is there a manual way to remove this one? I've attempted another 0.7N update ontop of this one, and it still does not take.

Last edited by AllenH; 01-26-2013 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Update
Old 01-26-2013, 01:28 AM   #358
peterbruells

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
You may.
Yes.
Keep in airplane mode.

Since you will have to connect to Amazon to get the special offers removed, you want the Jailbreak to be in-place before you do that.
I don't have a special offers Paperwhite, but a regular German one. The ad-supported version isn't even sold over here).

The screensavers hack is the only one of interest to me, but one I'd hate to lose, thus my concern.

Personally, I can do with further updates from Amazon, so if there's a way to prevent this by installing something on an already jailbroken Paperwhite, that would be relevant to my interests. :-)
Old 01-26-2013, 01:36 AM   #359
peterbruells

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenH View Post
QUESTION: Is an ASIN embedded into the book necessary for the screensaver hack to work? I see that it uses the ASIN to name the screensaver it makes, but what if it doesn't have an ASIN (i.e. converted via Calibre)?

Books I convert with calibre do have as asin, though a fake one. I use simple scripts to embed a cover in an otherwise empty file to use that as a custom sceensaver when I feel like it, and calibe ads an uuid if it needs an identifier, like this:

mobi-asin:96ceeed1-7741-42a6-b75c-95f5a1ae7c96

And the covers of these otherwise empty files show up as a screensaver.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:57 AM   #360
AllenH
Enthusiast

Update!!

Well - I started to realize after a bit of reading and finding that my latest read was not first on the kindle (sorted by newest read) - that it might have all been caused by my lack of updating to 5.3.3 and lack of wifi connection.

So... I updated to 5.3.3, re-applied the python and linkss updates, and had some snafu's for a bit - but it appears as though it's working now. Black background took, and latest book read also appears to have taken. Not sure if it's actually properly at 0.7N right now- as the info.txt shows 0.6N and previous attempt to remove it failed, so I fear I have a mixup of 0.7N and 0.6N somehow! But, so far so good at the moment.

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch