Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 02-10-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
asnider123
Connoisseur
asnider123 is on a distinguished road

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge Golden-Allmine-Ermine-rc3
Internal/External SDCARD ??

Please, can someone tell me how the PE actually switches the SDCARD data to EXTSDCARD? I know it copies existing data to the external card, but does it then rename your external card to SDCARD or what?? I am a little fuzzy on this. Thanks
asnider123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by asnider123 View Post
Please, can someone tell me how the PE actually switches the SDCARD data to EXTSDCARD? I know it copies existing data to the external card, but does it then rename your external card to SDCARD or what?? I am a little fuzzy on this. Thanks

If an SD card is installed it will appear as SDCard under ES File Explorer and the Library App.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2012, 08:21 PM   #3
asnider123
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
No. If no SD card exists it refers to storage as Internal Storage. If and SD card is installed it will appear as SD Card under ES File Explorer and the Library App.
Hmmm .. then when there's a card inserted, is the internal storage no longer available or does it take on a different name? I know that once I commit to using the external SDCARD, there's no going back (according to my PE at least) to it's a commitment that's not easily reversed.

Thanks for the useful info
Old 02-10-2012, 09:07 PM   #4
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asnider123 View Post
Hmmm .. then when there's a card inserted, is the internal storage no longer available or does it take on a different name? I know that once I commit to using the external SDCARD, there's no going back (according to my PE at least) to it's a commitment that's not easily reversed.

Thanks for the useful info
I'm using Internal Storage and an SDCard with my EE. Both show up under Settings --> Device Storage. I recommend you hold onto Internal Storage as long as possible and use the SDCard to store things like pictures, music, documents etc. Your'e right, once you move your library to the SDCard you lose the use of Internal Storage.

Last edited by obsessed2; 02-10-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:57 PM   #5
asnider123
Connoisseur

Well, I made these mods (after reflashing with rc3 and reinstalling all my apps):

1. I copied everything from sdcard to extsdcard (including hidden folders)
2. I modded the two fstab files (located in /system/etc) as per instructions in another thread here (about moving apps to sdcard)
3. I shutdown and restarted.

And look at the results, cool, huh? Also, this did not involve setting data for external card (which is not reversible) .. I think 2.3 gb of app space is prob adequate, and 15g of "SDCARD" is plenty of data, for me at least.

Advert
Old 02-11-2012, 12:26 AM   #6
webbsk8r
webbsk8r began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Okay guys & gals - here's a stumper, for me at least. I installed the Golden Allmine and it worked fine. I also backed up all the books and other stuff from internal storage (photos & music) to reinstall later - I could see the internal and SD card when I connected my USB wire to my Laptop (WIN 7) but after the install, win explorer only shows an external disk and it asks me to insert a disk - the internal and SD PE disks are nowhere to be found - and I don't get a "USB connected" message any where. So what Am I doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS Had trouble installing upgrade until I read taking off the "zip" extension might solve it and it did.
webbsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:36 AM   #7
asnider123
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbsk8r View Post
Okay guys & gals - here's a stumper, for me at least. I installed the Golden Allmine and it worked fine. I also backed up all the books and other stuff from internal storage (photos & music) to reinstall later - I could see the internal and SD card when I connected my USB wire to my Laptop (WIN 7) but after the install, win explorer only shows an external disk and it asks me to insert a disk - the internal and SD PE disks are nowhere to be found - and I don't get a "USB connected" message any where. So what Am I doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS Had trouble installing upgrade until I read taking off the "zip" extension might solve it and it did.
Can't help you on tethering your PE to your PC, never tried it. I copy everything I want into my Dropbox from the PC, then access my dropbox from my PE and retrieve my stuff. With my dropbox I dont have any reason to figure out all that USB cabale stuff. Maybe you should get an online HD like dropbox, it's free!
Old 02-11-2012, 12:49 PM   #8
Erminio Mostacci
Connoisseur
Erminio Mostacci began at the beginning.

Device: enTourage eDGe, iRex DR 1000, Cybook Gen3
@ asnider123

Can you write a detailed process to modify the two fstab files (located in /system/etc)?
Or, in alternative, can you write exact link of instructions of other thread about moving apps to sdcard?

Many thanks
Erminio Mostacci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:18 PM   #9
webbsk8r
webbsk8r began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Okay, I do have a Dropbox account but the USB wire thing is a snap and the frustrating thing is I was able to see both the internal storage and the SD card before I did the Allmine update and now nothing. I can load the SD card using a card reader but not sure how I get my photos and music into the PE unless everything goes on the SD card (it does have 16 GB!). Thoughts

Also, how do I get Dropbox for PE?
webbsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:06 PM   #10
glow
Book and Gadget Fan
glow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nooks GL3, ST w/GL, Color, HD+; Kindles Voyage & Paperwhite; PE, EE
Dropbox should be available on the Market or on Amazon Appstore. There is a similar app called Box on Market. Very handy.
glow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:44 PM   #11
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:

http://www.1mobile.com/dropbox-70041.html
Old 02-11-2012, 10:43 PM   #12
asnider123
Connoisseur

Quote:
Okay, I do have a Dropbox account but the USB wire thing is a snap and the frustrating thing is I was able to see both the internal storage and the SD card before I did the Allmine update and now nothing. I can load the SD card using a card reader but not sure how I get my photos and music into the PE unless everything goes on the SD card (it does have 16 GB!). Thoughts

You can download Android Dropbox at:
https://www.dropbox.com/android
Old 02-11-2012, 11:09 PM   #13
asnider123
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erminio Mostacci View Post
@ asnider123

Can you write a detailed process to modify the two fstab files (located in /system/etc)?
Or, in alternative, can you write exact link of instructions of other thread about moving apps to sdcard?

Many thanks
This is not for the weak of heart, though you could always use the Golden Allmine Update and Gapps update again if it messes up.

Actually quite simple if you have rooted your PE. See http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...0&postcount=82 for directions.

I originally unsuccessfully tried this technique for making more app space: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=138124 .. then I heard about the rc3 Ermine golden update and went for it instead. Plenty of app space but little data space, so I put in a 16g microsd and used the same fstab changes made in both of the links above. Worked like a champ.

Note: when modifying the fstab files, it is a good idea to back up the originals just in case you mess them up. Also, you can ignore any line starting with a # (pound sign), as they are simply remark statements (remember programming in BASIC? Same idea) .. If I remember, you will change 2 lines in the Internal file, 1 in the External.

I must stress that I am not responsible if you mess up your PE, but it worked fine for me.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:29 AM   #14
Erminio Mostacci
Connoisseur

Talking Pocket Edge - Swap EXT_INT SD Card.doc

@ asnider123 and everyone interested.
THANKS!!!

For trying on my PE, I summarize in a file doc, the essential things for swapping SD card. I hope that it can be useful for those users, like me, not too much clever about android systems.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Pocket Edge - Swap EXT_INT SD Card.doc (44.5 KB, 405 views)
Old 02-12-2012, 07:12 AM   #15
Erminio Mostacci
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by asnider123
Well, I made these mods (after reflashing with rc3 and reinstalling all my apps):

1. I copied everything from sdcard to extsdcard (including hidden folders)
2. I modded the two fstab files (located in /system/etc) as per instructions in another thread here (about moving apps to sdcard)
3. I shutdown and restarted.

And look at the results, cool, huh? Also, this did not involve setting data for external card (which is not reversible) .. I think 2.3 gb of app space is prob adequate, and 15g of "SDCARD" is plenty of data, for me at least.
Hi asnider123,
I wish to know if step 1 is possible with a data full external SD Card.
If possible, is it necessary to move data in a some_name_personal_dir before copying everything from sdcard to extsdcard (including hidden folders)?