Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-18-2011, 02:56 PM   #136
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I don't know for $60 less you lose out on the gorilla glass but you get a microUSB card.

You don't have access to Amazon or Google but if your willing to convert the device in about 1hrs(total to collect the files and read the instructions). The process is 15min. you can have a full Android device. That has both access to Amazon, B&N, and Google.

Heck I'm going to pick one of these up for myself it's a great deal. I was thinking of buying my kids a 4" Galaxy Player or Kindle but for the price this can't be beat.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:16 PM   #137
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I'm a bit wary of the fact that the Fire comes only with a WiFi network connection. I have a problem with keeping my Kindle Keyboard connected to my WiFi network. When I do get it working, it seems to only last for a few days, then I lose it again. For some reason my network doesn't show up on the Kindle's network scan, and when it does, it rarely accepts my password on the first take. I have no such problems with any of my other devices, such as my iPad, but as the Kindle Keyboard also has 3G, I've taken to saying to heck with the WiFi and just doing everything via the 3G.

I wonder if they'll come out with a 3G Fire? That would probably be worth it, even if you had to pay a monthly charge for the 3G.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2011, 03:33 PM   #138
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I have 3G on my Xoom which I'm paying a hefty amount for and have never really used other than testing it a couple of times. (also a free upgrade to 4G which I'm not likely to take advantage of simply because I don't use it) The Wi-fi works great at home and at work.

on a related note, I had a problem with my previous wireless router with some computers it simply would not connect. Have not had a problem since I replaced it.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:38 PM   #139
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilikins View Post
... it'll be like the ice cubes at the bottom of your cup. You're tilting it up, they're all hanging in the back (hold it, hold it ...), and then one ice cube releases (someone fire sales just before Christmas), and then they all tumble after.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:22 PM   #140
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I have 3G on my Xoom which I'm paying a hefty amount for and have never really used other than testing it a couple of times. (also a free upgrade to 4G which I'm not likely to take advantage of simply because I don't use it) The Wi-fi works great at home and at work.

on a related note, I had a problem with my previous wireless router with some computers it simply would not connect. Have not had a problem since I replaced it.
I've never had a problem with the iPad. I put the info in once, and it's worked ever since. Good thing, too: My iPad is Wifi only. I wonder if there's a problem with my Kindle's WiFi, or if the 3G and WiFi interfere with each other? The Kindle works fine, but only on 3G.
Advert
Old 10-18-2011, 04:28 PM   #141
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I've never had a problem with the iPad. I put the info in once, and it's worked ever since. Good thing, too: My iPad is Wifi only. I wonder if there's a problem with my Kindle's WiFi, or if the 3G and WiFi interfere with each other? The Kindle works fine, but only on 3G.
Funny...or not really. Definitely seems associated with the Kindle, but like in my situation, the same computer that had trouble connecting worked fine with the new router so...not sure what to tell you. I assume you can disable the 3G and it still does the same thing?
Old 10-18-2011, 04:35 PM   #142
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

When I disconnect the 3G, I have no connection at all, and it won't let me check the WiFi connection without turning on the 3G. Strange.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 10-18-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:39 PM   #143
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
When I disconnect the 3G, I have no connection at all, and it won't let me check the WiFi connection without turning on the 3G. Strange.
That sounds broke (or as we say here at work when using the technical term: Broke-as*-s*it)

Last edited by kennyc; 10-18-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:42 PM   #144
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Oh, well. As long as the 3G works, I'm happy.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:14 PM   #145
slkissinger
Connoisseur
slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Multiple Kindles, Pocketbook Touch HD3, Kobo Clara HD, Xiaomi InkPalm
WT Sharpe: literally last week my brother had a similar issue. It was with a new laptop vs. other devices connecting to his home wireless router. the new thing would connect for a few minutes, then not. But other devices were rock solid. He returned that particular laptop and got a completely different one (different manufacturer even), and the same issue.

Replaced the router, and everything was fine. All I'm saying is... can't hurt to replace your wireless router. I think I've gone through at least 3 over the years. They just go flakey over time (at least for me, and apparently, my brother)
slkissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:40 PM   #146
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by slkissinger View Post
WT Sharpe: literally last week my brother had a similar issue. It was with a new laptop vs. other devices connecting to his home wireless router. the new thing would connect for a few minutes, then not. But other devices were rock solid. He returned that particular laptop and got a completely different one (different manufacturer even), and the same issue.

Replaced the router, and everything was fine. All I'm saying is... can't hurt to replace your wireless router. I think I've gone through at least 3 over the years. They just go flakey over time (at least for me, and apparently, my brother)
Ive gone through 4 wireless routers (3 of them Linksys) in last 5 years i dont they last as good as they used to, id go get a router for under $100 before returning computers and such.
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:47 PM   #147
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by covfam View Post
Ive gone through 4 wireless routers (3 of them Linksys) in last 5 years i dont they last as good as they used to, id go get a router for under $100 before returning computers and such.
Agreed. I don't think they last as long as they used to either. Before buying another one though, I would probably try to reset it. Especially if it's fairly new.
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:46 PM   #148
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Agreed. I don't think they last as long as they used to either. Before buying another one though, I would probably try to reset it. Especially if it's fairly new.
I have an old one and a reset every now and then keeps it running fine. I just unplug it for a few seconds and plug it back in whenever there is a problem connecting wirelessly.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:15 PM   #149
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I have a cheap Walmart Linksys router that I bought in 2005. I upgraded the firmware and that helped some. I live in an apartment settings so I find changing the channel frequency helped alot with Kindle 3 connection issues. There's a program called inSSIDer 2 you can download for free that will show what channels your neighbors are using. Just choose the one that isn't overlapped as much and gives you a strong signal. Most people never mess with this setting but it's really helps if all your neighbors are using default 6 and your network keeps dropping. I can't use channels 1-4 or my signal drops completely and five of my neighbors use default 6 with one neighbor using 11 so I went with Channel 8 because some microwaves interfere with Channel 9.

So before you throw out your router, Try changing the channel first.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:22 PM   #150
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I have an old one and a reset every now and then keeps it running fine. I just unplug it for a few seconds and plug it back in whenever there is a problem connecting wirelessly.

Dale
I unplug mine every now and then too.

Actually what I was talking about was resetting it through the reset button found on the back of the router. Resets everything to factory defaults.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote