Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-22-2013, 12:56 PM   #16
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I have been taking notes on my iPad since the iPad1, and am a bit of a stylus geek - always looking for something better. I have more styli in my home than regular pens, since I never use paper any more.
In terms of cheaper ones, I found these iHome ones at Marshalls and TJ Maxx, usually they cost $10 there, but I found some on sale for $5. They are woderful, and if you ever want to also write with them, they are great for that as well. The tip is among the smallest.
There is also the Adonit Jot stylus, which has a very fine tip and a cLear plastic circle around it - I have it, but it's not my favorite, and it's a bit overkill for what you are looking for.

Last edited by xendula; 09-22-2013 at 12:58 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:08 PM   #17
Kythe42
Zealot
Kythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Android tablet
Thanks for the suggestions. I looked at them and neither seem to be quite what I'm looking for. Neither seem to have anywhere to attach a lanyard, plus I've looked at styluses like the Adonit and that plastic disc type thing just looks really flimsy. I want something where I don't have to be afraid the tip is going to accidentally get ripped off if I just toss it in my bag. Thanks anyway.

So far pendragginp's suggestion seems to be closest to what I'm looking for.
Kythe42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:00 AM   #18
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0,Asus TF700T, K1-2-3-Fire
oops wrong stylus thread... heck wrong forum... sign...

Last edited by rkw; 09-24-2013 at 07:02 AM.
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:37 AM   #19
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Pendragginp or Cheeky1,
If you've been using one of these mesh tipped styli for awhile, does it scratch your device screen? After the comment from the Walmart rep about hazing/scratching, it makes me a bit worried about random testing the things.

Last edited by Sabardeyn; 09-24-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:40 AM   #20
Kythe42
Zealot
Kythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipseKythe42 can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Android tablet
Hmm yeah that's a good point, I hadn't thought about that. Also do they work well with screen protectors? I've been meaning to get some.
Kythe42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:10 PM   #21
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kythe42,
Reading through another Android website, I came across a discussion about styli and this one (on Amazon) was suggested.

The contact nibs seem to be skinnier than images I've seen of other styli but as no specs are given, it's a guess at best.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:21 AM   #22
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0,Asus TF700T, K1-2-3-Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabardeyn View Post
Pendragginp or Cheeky1,
If you've been using one of these mesh tipped styli for awhile, does it scratch your device screen? After the comment from the Walmart rep about hazing/scratching, it makes me a bit worried about random testing the things.
not exactly the place I'd go for educated info... I've never read of mesh tips harming a screen rubber tips are probably far more abrasive especially after a period of use. See the rubber surface wears off down to the foamy inside making it quite "grabby" and thus potentially more abrasive.

Only possibility I sense is if the user holds pen at extreme angle allowing the nib collar to contact screen. now that could cause scratches. Too much pressure could allow that collar to touch the screen as well. Otherwise the pen is not gonna harm your screen. Well, unless xhetip gets full of something gritty and abrasive but that happening would hardly be the fault of the stylus.

Last edited by rkw; 01-17-2014 at 08:40 AM. Reason: d'oh priceless typo
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:52 PM   #23
Sabardeyn
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkw View Post
not exactly the place I'd go for educated info...
In general I agree with the sentiment; your average department store isn't the best place for in-depth advice. However in this case the rep made me aware of a possibility I had not even considered.

Since the mesh tipped styli are metallic, the possibility of scratching the screen seems like a reasonable concern. I would hate to be the user that bought and used one, without a screen protector, and then have everyone saying "what did you expect using a metallic tip directly on the glass?"
Old 09-29-2013, 08:38 PM   #24
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
I haven't had mine very long, which is why I didn't try to answer this question. It does seem to me to be a fabric mesh though, and so far I haven't noticed a problem. This is what the description says:
Quote:
The FiberMesh tip is precisely engineered with an extremely soft yet durable conductive woven fiber.
I think if I was worried I would add a screen protector.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote