Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-26-2013, 07:31 PM   #1
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Samsung Galaxy Note 8 Discussion/Questions

Well I thought I'd start a new thread for discussion and questions and hints on the Galaxy Note 8. I'm really liking this tablet the more I use it.

I do have a few questions. I'm sure I'll have more as I go along.

1. I got my promotion for the Watch On. Are all these videos free? I don't see a price anyplace.

2. Is there a way to exclude certain folders from the Gallery? If I have it to include my Dropbox account, it picks up all my ebook covers.

3. Is anyone using a screen protector on it? I'm not. Don't have one on my iPad either.

Carol

Last edited by sadievan; 08-27-2013 at 12:25 AM.
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:45 PM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Well I thought I'd start a new thread for discussion and questions and hints on the Galaxy Note 8. I'm really liking this tablet the more I use it.

I do have a few questions. I'm sure I'll have more as I go along.

1. I got my promotion for the Watch On. Are all these videos free? I don't see a price anyplace.

2. Is there a way to exclude certain folders from the Gallery? If I have it to include my Dropbox account, it picks up all me ebook covers.

3. Is anyone using a screen protector on it? I'm not. Don't have one on my iPad either.

Carol
For (2), try creating an empty file called ".nomedia" (note the starting ".") inside the folder you want to have excluded.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2013, 12:26 AM   #3
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
For (2), try creating an empty file called ".nomedia" (note the starting ".") inside the folder you want to have excluded.
Will that goof up my Calibre library. I have my Calibre library in Dropbox and that is what the Gallery is accessing.

Carol

Last edited by sadievan; 08-27-2013 at 01:15 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:16 AM   #4
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Will that goof up my Calibre library. I have my Calibre library in Dropbox and that is what the Gallery is accessing.

Carol
No, that's just a dummy file used to tell the media server to ignore that folder and its contents. Calibre will just ignore it.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:13 AM   #5
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
For 3. : no, I am not. I never had one on any of my tablets, nor on my Galaxy phone, nothing happened (fingers crossed).
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2013, 08:20 AM   #6
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
No, that's just a dummy file used to tell the media server to ignore that folder and its contents. Calibre will just ignore it.
Thanks. Will give it a try.

Carol
Old 08-27-2013, 08:22 AM   #7
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
For 3. : no, I am not. I never had one on any of my tablets, nor on my Galaxy phone, nothing happened (fingers crossed).
I do have one for my phone, but not my tablets.

Carol
Old 08-27-2013, 09:48 PM   #8
sadievan
Wizard

Anyone know anything about the Watch On app
Old 08-28-2013, 03:21 AM   #9
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Sorry no, it was not part of our package in France.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:41 AM   #10
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
OK. That didn't work. I created a blank .docx file with the name '.nomedia' and put it in my 'My Calibre Library' folder. They still show up in the Gallery. What am I doing wrong?

Carol
Old 08-28-2013, 11:48 AM   #11
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
OK. That didn't work. I created a blank .docx file with the name '.nomedia' and put it in my 'My Calibre Library' folder. They still show up in the Gallery. What am I doing wrong?

Carol
It has to be ".nomedia", make sure it's not called ".nomedia.docx" or something else.

Also, you may need to restart the device after adding the file, and it may take a bit of time for the media server to reparse the folders after boot.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:36 PM   #12
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
It has to be ".nomedia", make sure it's not called ".nomedia.docx" or something else.

Also, you may need to restart the device after adding the file, and it may take a bit of time for the media server to reparse the folders after boot.
It is called '.nomedia.docx' It won't let me add the file without an extension. Is there another file extension I can use?
Old 08-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #13
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:

OK. Just double checked and need to clarify. They are not showing up in the Gallery app. Where they show up is when I go to settings and select Wallpaper and then select Gallery is where they show up.

Sorry for the confusion.

Carol
Old 08-28-2013, 03:47 PM   #14
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
It is called '.nomedia.docx' It won't let me add the file without an extension. Is there another file extension I can use?
No, it has to be ".nomedia". Use something else to create the file, or just rename it. You have to show the extensions in File Explorer, I believe windows hides them by default.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:26 PM   #15
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
OK. Just double checked and need to clarify. They are not showing up in the Gallery app. Where they show up is when I go to settings and select Wallpaper and then select Gallery is where they show up.

Sorry for the confusion.

Carol
Quote:
No, it has to be ".nomedia". Use something else to create the file, or just rename it. You have to show the extensions in File Explorer, I believe windows hides them by default.
I have my Windows Explorer to show the file extensions. I cannot add a file without an extension.

I quoted my other post to you because this is only happening when I go to my settings to add a wallpaper and select 'Gallery'. If I just go to view the Gallery App the books don't show up.

Carol