Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-01-2010, 05:30 PM   #1
Mohammad Reza
Mohammad Reza began at the beginning.

Device: IREX-DR800SG
porting iLiad games to dr800

Hi,

I wonder if there is a easy way to porting iLaid's applications (like chess) to dr800 ?
Mohammad Reza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:52 PM   #2
dima_tr
Groupie
dima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-books

Device: Iliad v2, DR800S (inlove)
I've tried Xmahjongg and Ace of Penguins. Compilation went fine, but I still should solve the problem with repaint for these are not gtk applications. GnuChess - have to check.
dima_tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:54 PM   #3
Mohammad Reza

Quote:
Originally Posted by dima_tr View Post
I've tried Xmahjongg and Ace of Penguins. Compilation went fine, but I still should solve the problem with repaint for these are not gtk applications. GnuChess - have to check.
nice

if you were successful, please let us know a brief description about the whole process of compilation and adjustment.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:01 PM   #4
Iņigo
Guru
Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.Iņigo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: iRex iLiad, iRex DR800S. K4NT. Kobo Aura, Aura One, Libra 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohammad Reza View Post
Hi,

I wonder if there is a easy way to porting iLaid's applications (like chess) to dr800 ?
I tried to port a chess program to DR800 some months ago, but with no luck.

Linux chess programs usually consist in 2 parts, the backend (engine) and the frontend (user interface).

- backend:
gnuchess v5.07: successfully compiled, not so difficult
crafty v23.2: crafty is a popular and powerful engine, but it needs some advanced CPU's registers and instructions not available in ARM CPUs.

- frontend:
Some alternatives here:
xboard: the canonical gnuchess frontend, it uses old Xaw/Xmu/Xat widgets, which I was able to compile, but they are too old to make screen refreshes easy to add
eboard: powerful, but uses gnomecanvas (already ported to DR) but screen refreshes are hard
gnome-chess: interesting option but uses some gnome libraries (libgnome[ui], libbonobo[ui]...) so porting would be not easy

And then I stopped...

IMO the way would be to work on eboard and port all that gnomecanvas stuff to support refreshes. Btw, we/you could use gnomecanvas or goocanvas (more modern), as I successfully compiled both for DR devices. Tell me if you want them.

Iņigo
Iņigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:40 AM   #5
Mohammad Reza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iņigo View Post
I tried to port a chess program to DR800 some months ago, but with no luck.

Linux chess programs usually consist in 2 parts, the backend (engine) and the frontend (user interface).

- backend:
gnuchess v5.07: successfully compiled, not so difficult
crafty v23.2: crafty is a popular and powerful engine, but it needs some advanced CPU's registers and instructions not available in ARM CPUs.

- frontend:
Some alternatives here:
xboard: the canonical gnuchess frontend, it uses old Xaw/Xmu/Xat widgets, which I was able to compile, but they are too old to make screen refreshes easy to add
eboard: powerful, but uses gnomecanvas (already ported to DR) but screen refreshes are hard
gnome-chess: interesting option but uses some gnome libraries (libgnome[ui], libbonobo[ui]...) so porting would be not easy

And then I stopped...

IMO the way would be to work on eboard and port all that gnomecanvas stuff to support refreshes. Btw, we/you could use gnomecanvas or goocanvas (more modern), as I successfully compiled both for DR devices. Tell me if you want them.

Iņigo

so the problem is not the engine. even if we want to use crafty, I think there would be a translator for converting some not supported instructions to ARM instructions (although it's a guess)

Iņigo, I think you are far far a head of me . Instead of using DR1000 virtual machine for DR800, I wanted to install the whole SDK and simulator on UBUNTU 10.4 myself !!! and guess what => I stopped there

although I am looking for a new free time to start over

anyway, nice work Iņigo
Old 09-07-2010, 02:26 AM   #6
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iņigo View Post
- frontend:
Some alternatives here:

Can the gtk_label-trick, that I used for xournal, be used to easily trigger a screen refresh?
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 03:48 AM   #7
joepsichip
joepsichip has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Cybook Odyssey HD FrontLight & Opus White • iRex DR800SG & iLiad 2 Ed.
And the gnugo? is possible?
joepsichip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:21 AM   #8
dima_tr
Groupie
dima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-books

Device: Iliad v2, DR800S (inlove)
Teaser: I have gnugo running (yoohoo!), but very unstable .. Will proceed with stabilizing. Keep your fingers crossed
dima_tr is offline   Reply With Quote