Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-28-2011, 01:52 AM   #16
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post

While ebooks probably aren't outselling paper by other measures (e.g. total revenues, profits, all ebooks vs all paper) this is pretty danged impressive, especially given how many more titles are available in paper than as ebooks.
Yep, although the number of ebook only titles or ebooks where paper sales could be used as kindergarten counting exercises are likely to be growing very rapidly.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:48 AM   #17
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
These figures suggest that Amazon only sells 2.6 paperbacks for every hardback. This is quite interesting, since it confirms reports from a few years ago that the age of the MMPB blockbuster is over.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2011, 08:11 AM   #18
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
The next press release from Amazon on this issue is almost certainly to be: "More ebooks sold than paper printed books ... period."

I don't know whether, in aggregate, margins are higher or lower on ebooks vs printed books, but there are certainly tremendous savings to Amazon in handling, storage and distribution for ebooks vs printed books.

On a related note, it continues to astound me that smaller publishers drag their feet preparing ebook editions of their current, near current and backlist titles. Perhaps in 2011, they'll "get with the program".
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:52 AM   #19
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Amazon's excluded free books, but how about all the sharply discounted promotional e-books (under a dollar)? How about the collections of public domain e-books they repackage and sell for a buck or two?

I'd like to know the dollar amount of sales from e-books vs. paperbacks, and/or the average cost per unit sold for the e-books and the paperbacks. I bet if e-books outsold paperbacks by any other measure, we'd hear about it.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:58 AM   #20
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
These numbers are good for everyone. The more ebooks sold, the more pressure on the Publishers to put out new books in ebook format and to speed up the release of older titles in ebook format. That will benefit everyone regardless of what ereader they are using.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2011, 10:22 AM   #21
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
115 ebooks : 100 paperback books

At first it sounds impressive then I realize I never have or would ever buy a paperback from Amazon. Most paperbacks are less expensive elsewhere.

So now it doesn't impress me.
Fair enough.

But Amazon is the world's largest book retailer, so this is obviously significant.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:03 AM   #22
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Looks like it was for 2010 after reading the press release. Secondhand info...

Interesting that most are saying Amazon paperbacks are the cheapest. They seem to be here in the UK - but any pointers to anyone selling them cheaper. (Ok, I don't really comparison shop paperbacks often - much too easy just to click and have it the next day...)
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:59 AM   #23
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
....there are certainly tremendous savings to Amazon in handling, storage and distribution for ebooks vs printed books.
Not as much as you'd think.

They aren't losing money on the overnight delivery, and they routinely use the "Free shipping, just buy more stuff" and "buy Prime" to get people to buy more and use their services more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet
On a related note, it continues to astound me that smaller publishers drag their feet preparing ebook editions of their current, near current and backlist titles.
Smaller publishers have fewer resources. Securing digital rights for older books in particular tends to slow down this process.

However, I do suspect that the economics of ebooks are getting more persuasive as ebooks pick up steam.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:07 PM   #24
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Which may possibly suggest they are overpaying for their paperback books.

That is one buying habit I won't join in.

Still not impressed.
? Where do you buy your books, and what genres do you read? For new pbooks, Amazon is consistently (I hesitate to say always) the same or cheaper for my location. If I want a used pbook (which again, I can usually get on Amazon for cheaper), I can travel 20 minutes one-way to my local used book store, pay for parking, and pray they have the used book in stock for a decent price. Hasn't been my experience though.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:58 PM   #25
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Same here, I stopped buying at bookstores years ago because even if the price is the same I don't have to pay sales tax or use gasoline when I order from Amazon.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:34 PM   #26
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
115 ebooks : 100 paperback books

At first it sounds impressive then I realize I never have or would ever buy a paperback from Amazon. Most paperbacks are less expensive elsewhere.

So now it doesn't impress me.
115 ebooks : 100 paperback : 38 hardback (roughly)

Other things that don't impress Fbone:

Tap dancing cats.

Snow in Florida in July.

Flying pigs. (Note: Not falling with style.)
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:41 PM   #27
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Well, I'm quite impressed. (Although I admit that I'm often easily impressed!)
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:18 PM   #28
C.I.Bond
I need to clean this tub!
C.I.Bond began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I'd like to know the dollar amount of sales from e-books vs. paperbacks, and/or the average cost per unit sold for the e-books and the paperbacks. I bet if e-books outsold paperbacks by any other measure, we'd hear about it.
Yes. There are lots of .99 cent books and 8 of those would have the same total dollar figure as a paperback. It would be interesting to see how much in actual $$ was brought in for each catagory. It would be even more interesting to find out about profit margins for each but I doubt that will happen.
C.I.Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:36 PM   #29
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
? Where do you buy your books, and what genres do you read? For new pbooks, Amazon is consistently (I hesitate to say always) the same or cheaper for my location.
Your situation may be different than mine but I comparison shop very thoroughly with stores I have available to me. I have B&N, Border's, Kmart and Target all within 10 min drive and on my way home from everywhere. Plus local grocery stores. I've found these other retailers to be less expensive for MMPBs than Amazon consistently.
Currently Kmart and Target offer 25% off paperbacks. My local grocery is 20% off and they have several hundred books available. B&N and Border's email discount codes/coupons almost weekly for as much as 33% off. Plus, there is their membership discounts to consider.

I dug out the receipts for my last 3 books purchased. Sales tax included.
Book ... Amazon's Price ... Purchased Price
1 ) ..... $26.75............... $21.94 (B&N)
2 ) ..... $8.55 ................ $5.13 (Border's)
3 ) ..... $8.55 ................ $5.73 (Border's)

Total savings $11.05
I would have needed to pay shipping on books 2 & 3 from Amazon since I didn't hit $25. I could have saved an add'l 10% off B&N and Border's if I had a membership.

For hardcovers Amazon is competitively priced. And Kindle books are also. But for MMPBs I have more options. My tastes are general mostly. (no romances, vampires, zombies, paranormal or demonic subjects)

Also, there are so many inexpensive ebooks (0.99 to 2.99) available that people can be buying these in greater quantity than pbooks. I believe Catlady mentions this also.

Pricier paperbacks + $0.99 ebooks = not impressed.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:48 PM   #30
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Your situation may be different than mine but I comparison shop very thoroughly with stores I have available to me. I have B&N, Border's, Kmart and Target all within 10 min drive and on my way home from everywhere. Plus local grocery stores. I've found these other retailers to be less expensive for MMPBs than Amazon consistently.
Currently Kmart and Target offer 25% off paperbacks. My local grocery is 20% off and they have several hundred books available. B&N and Border's email discount codes/coupons almost weekly for as much as 33% off. Plus, there is their membership discounts to consider.

I dug out the receipts for my last 3 books purchased. Sales tax included.
Book ... Amazon's Price ... Purchased Price
1 ) ..... $26.75............... $21.94 (B&N)
2 ) ..... $8.55 ................ $5.13 (Border's)
3 ) ..... $8.55 ................ $5.73 (Border's)

Total savings $11.05
I would have needed to pay shipping on books 2 & 3 from Amazon since I didn't hit $25. I could have saved an add'l 10% off B&N and Border's if I had a membership.

For hardcovers Amazon is competitively priced. And Kindle books are also. But for MMPBs I have more options. My tastes are general mostly. (no romances, vampires, zombies, paranormal or demonic subjects)

Also, there are so many inexpensive ebooks (0.99 to 2.99) available that people can be buying these in greater quantity than pbooks. I believe Catlady mentions this also.

Pricier paperbacks + $0.99 ebooks = not impressed.
This works for you because of what you choose to read. Your reading choices don't reflect others' choices. So it doesn't make sense to say that others are overpaying for their choice of books.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote