Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-21-2011, 06:08 AM   #136
StokieSam
StokieSam began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader
New poster here, so hi!

Maybe I'm unusual, but I believe that publishers have ebook pricing completely wrong compared with print. I seldom read any book more than once (if we limit this argument to fiction or non-fiction other than instructional books). I also cannot remember the last time I bought a new book in those categories. If I want to read a new(ish) book, I borrow it from the library. If I want to buy a book, I buy it second-hand, usually at a price point around £2.50 to £3.00. I can then sell that book back to the dealer for half the price I bought it for, resulting in a net price of £1.25 to £1.50.

I cannot buy a used ebook, nor can I sell it when I have finished with it, so I have an expenditure of maybe £6 or £7 for an item that I will read and, essentially, discard!

I refuse to do this, largely because I am a voracious reader and I would be penniless in a very short time. For example, if I go on a 2 week holiday in the summer, I would typically take around 8 paperbacks with me. (Obviously, the ereader is a massive boon to me!) When I get back, I take these books back to the bookstall and hand them in at 50% part-exchange against some more.

Where is the economic sense in me paying the prices asked for ebooks? I realise that publishers need to make a profit, and authors need to make a living, but the business model needs to change massively before they make a penny from me.

Once ebooks can be traded in exactly the same way as paper books, with prices to match, then that is fair. To charge almost the same price as for a paper book for something that essentially has absolutely no value the moment you download it is tantamount to robbery for me.
StokieSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:31 AM   #137
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Welcome Sam. I mostly agree, but the issue with 'used' ebooks is that there is no method in place to provide you with a unique copy of the product which can be used and treated in the same manner as a physical product. Thus the manufacturer must rely on trust to treat it as a product and that just simply isn't there in the current environment.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:45 AM   #138
StokieSam

Thanks Kenny, but that doesn't alter the fact that I am asked to pay £6 or £7 for a book that I will, in all probability, read in 2 or 3 days and will then be useless. I would have to be crazy to even contemplate such a thing.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:49 AM   #139
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I know, I'm not making excuses. Just stating the 'obvious' and the arguments the dinosaur publishers make...
Old 10-21-2011, 06:54 AM   #140
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Welcome Sam. I mostly agree, but the issue with 'used' ebooks is that there is no method in place to provide you with a unique copy of the product which can be used and treated in the same manner as a physical product. Thus the manufacturer must rely on trust to treat it as a product and that just simply isn't there in the current environment.
Amazon (and others) already have DRM solutions that allow an eBook to be loaned. No technical reason this couldn't also allow them to be resold. Obviously not in their interests to allow that to happen though.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:00 AM   #141
StokieSam

It's obviously a more difficult task to arrange for a trade in used ebooks. With a printed book, you have bought a discrete copy which is yours to do with as you will, whereas an ebook is just bytes stored on a reader and possibly a hard disk and is more difficult to make discrete'

None of this, however, alters the fact that publishers are not taking this into account when they set their price points and are, essentially, taking the mickey!
Old 10-21-2011, 07:05 AM   #142
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Amazon (and others) already have DRM solutions that allow an eBook to be loaned. No technical reason this couldn't also allow them to be resold. Obviously not in their interests to allow that to happen though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StokieSam View Post
It's obviously a more difficult task to arrange for a trade in used ebooks. With a printed book, you have bought a discrete copy which is yours to do with as you will, whereas an ebook is just bytes stored on a reader and possibly a hard disk and is more difficult to make discrete'

None of this, however, alters the fact that publishers are not taking this into account when they set their price points and are, essentially, taking the mickey!
Yes. Clearly they could provide a "used book sell/exchange" for their products that would remove the product from the original purchaser and re-assign it to the new owner....but.....hmmmm....
Old 10-21-2011, 01:18 PM   #143
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
They could even work out a deal where the used ebook sale gives a small chunk of the money to the publisher... say $.50... so, when a book first comes out, the MUST HAVE NOW pre-order people order a bunch of copies... then over time the used market price could go down... so...

eBook released for $20 when new to maximize the profit on the MUST HAVE NOW crowd. After 2-6 months the new price drops to a more reasonable $10 to reflect the paperback price, and the used market is opened up and the used price could be $5. Amazon keeps $.50 for their trouble (keeping track of licensing), and the publisher gets $.50. People who must have it and can't find a used copy online could get it for $10.

Each used copy could foreseeably be resold 100 times, meaning that the publisher gets the original sale, plus $50, whereas with paper books now they only get the original sale. This should help account for the fact that an easier to use used market would impact new sales.

Moreover, the new buyer is out $14 at most, more likely $6. The used buyer is only out $1 and has sufficient budget to buy more books than they already do! At this price point most downloaders would probably say that it wasn't worth the trouble to torrent the book and worry about quality/legal issues. Even if they implemented a "wear and tear, 25 resells" this would be better for everybody, but it seems that the last buyer should get an even better price since they can't resell it.

Last edited by twowheels; 10-21-2011 at 01:23 PM.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:56 PM   #144
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I agree with the sliding scale for the ebook price - $15-20 when the hardcover is released, going down to $10 when the paperback is released and then settling at $5-$6 after a year or so. A price of $10 for an ebook that is a few years old when the paperback is $6.99 is wrong. What are the ways to protest this other than to write the publisher?
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:39 PM   #145
allinhi/
Connoisseur
allinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfoldedallinhi/ reads XML... blindfolded

Device: nook color
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
They could even work out a deal where the used ebook sale gives a small chunk of the money to the publisher... say $.50... so, when a book first comes out, the MUST HAVE NOW pre-order people order a bunch of copies... then over time the used market price could go down... so...

eBook released for $20 when new to maximize the profit on the MUST HAVE NOW crowd. After 2-6 months the new price drops to a more reasonable $10 to reflect the paperback price, and the used market is opened up and the used price could be $5. Amazon keeps $.50 for their trouble (keeping track of licensing), and the publisher gets $.50. People who must have it and can't find a used copy online could get it for $10.

Each used copy could foreseeably be resold 100 times, meaning that the publisher gets the original sale, plus $50, whereas with paper books now they only get the original sale. This should help account for the fact that an easier to use used market would impact new sales.

Moreover, the new buyer is out $14 at most, more likely $6. The used buyer is only out $1 and has sufficient budget to buy more books than they already do! At this price point most downloaders would probably say that it wasn't worth the trouble to torrent the book and worry about quality/legal issues. Even if they implemented a "wear and tear, 25 resells" this would be better for everybody, but it seems that the last buyer should get an even better price since they can't resell it.
I think you are on the right track. The transaction price is to low to satisfy some of the parties. How would you keep the original buyer from keeping a copy on a SD card etc? Perhaps a transfer/license charge? How would it be collected? Which party is responsible to pay the fee? What about transfers of a book I receive second hand and wish to transfer again? Clearly all this is possible, but with so many players involved it would require a separate org. I just don't believe there will be agreement by everyone limiting their autonomy and additional levels of complexity.
allinhi/ is offline   Reply With Quote