Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-07-2006, 09:15 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
E-book: hype or not?

Boston Globe columnist Alex Beam hits us with a thought-provoking article in which he argues that e-books don't live up to their hype and that pulp books are still way more convenient.

Quote:
As it happens, the e-book is the solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Check out my Personalized Literacy Unit, a 2003 release from the Bantam Dell labs. It's an $8 paperback called "Persuader" by Lee Child , and it weighs the same as my stripped-down cellphone and less than my Palm Pilot . (A friend's reaction upon learning that I carry a Pilot: "How 1997!") I've used my PLU on an airplane, in the car, and in a few other places where you wouldn't take electronic equipment.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:50 PM   #2
Snappy!
Addict
Snappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura about

Device: SHARP Zaurus C1000
Interesting ... but me thinks ebooks will ultimately supercede pbooks, and if anyone wants to speed it up, start replacing kid's books with them. That will grow the next generation of ebook readers and the need for pbook experience will slowly go away.

The only gripe I have right now is cost and lifespan of the device *and* ebooks. I don't really care about DRM, feel of flipping the pages, smell of book etc. I care just a little for anotation though it would be a bonus. If a DRM format can last say 5 yrs or 10 yrs, that's good enough for me. If it can convert itself to future DRM format, even better!

For me, if the cost of each device is low, then I don't mind having to change devices every 2 yrs, but only if the format on the old and new device is either a) convertible or b) useable without conversion.
Snappy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert