Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-22-2010, 06:43 AM   #31
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifermcb View Post
I'm having major issues with ADE and library books. Nook is authorized but when I drag books onto it, the software is putting them in the /digital editions folder on my nook instead of the My Documents folder. When I check for new content, it doesn't show up. I've also tried copying the downloaded book directly to the My Documents folder on the nook, but it still doesn't show up when I check for new content. This is a bit frustrating.
ADE transfers the book to the Digital Editions folder by default - nook firmware version 1.0.0 and 1.1.1 reads this folder, but versions 1.1.0 does not.

The work around is to move the book to your nook through Adobe Digital Editions. Then open the nook on your PC (it appears as an external drive), and then drag and drop the book from the Digital Editions folder to My Documents.

Then make sure you safely eject the nook from the PC.

Your book should show up and be readable when you check for new content on My Documents.
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:59 PM   #32
petechan
Connoisseur
petechan doesn't litterpetechan doesn't litter

Device: Aluratek libre
Question to the nook owners out there. I have an Aluratek Libre but since the nook has dropped in price I am thinking of getting one. My question is about the library lending period.

On my Libre, after I tranfer the Adobe DRM library book to the device, since the device does not have an internal clock, I can read it pretty much for as long as I want. I have to "return" the book on my PC using ADE within the lending period but the book does not deactivate on the device until I "synch" the device to my PC again. This is important for me since I don't have time to read everyday.

Does the Nook deactivate the library book by itself promptly after the lending period passes? Thanks for any replies
petechan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2010, 11:14 PM   #33
wandalynn
Addict
wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by petechan View Post
Does the Nook deactivate the library book by itself promptly after the lending period passes? Thanks for any replies
Yes it does. The only way around this is to keep the book open on the device and don't sync it with ADE. Let it go into 'sleep' mode when you aren't reading instead of shutting it off. It limits you to reading just that one book until you're finished. After it's expired, if you close the ebook to go to any other file it won't reopen. You'll get an error message. I don't know if the 3G or wireless connection would have any effect on the expired book.
wandalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:49 PM   #34
iBeth
Enthusiast
iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ebw1150, nook, kindle oasis, kobo libra2
Quote:
No, it doesn't; not for me, at least. I am currently reading a library book that expired yesterday. It shows as expired in ADE on my computer, but the nook happily lets me read it. I'm hoping to finish it today.

Then I'll experiment to see whether I can close the expired book, open something else, then re-open the expired book; also to see whether I can open books that expired while I didn't have them open (in the "currently reading") spot. I'll let you know what happens.
iBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:20 PM   #35
iBeth
Enthusiast
iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.iBeth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

library books do expire

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeth View Post
No, it doesn't; not for me, at least. I am currently reading a library book that expired yesterday.
Whoops, the earlier commenter was right--the books do expire even if you haven't synced your nook.

I finished my expired open book, closed it, tried another expired book, and got an error message. Then I went back to the book I'd just finished, tried to reopen it, and got an error message.

So, the books do expire without syncing. Fortunately they can be checked out again.
Advert
Old 06-24-2010, 06:10 AM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Question to the nook owners out there. I have an Aluratek Libre but since the nook has dropped in price I am thinking of getting one. My question is about the library lending period.

On my Libre, after I tranfer the Adobe DRM library book to the device, since the device does not have an internal clock, I can read it pretty much for as long as I want. I have to "return" the book on my PC using ADE within the lending period but the book does not deactivate on the device until I "synch" the device to my PC again. This is important for me since I don't have time to read everyday.

You get a maximum of 14 or 21 days depending on the library. If you have not finished by then, you would have to try to borrow the eBook again.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:44 AM   #37
robslp
Enthusiast
robslp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1 & 3, Nook, Android Razr, Fire, Transformer Prime.
I had an e-book that I didn't finish from my library. I tried an experiment by just allowing my Nook to sleep and never closed the book until it was finished. I was able to finish the book after the expiration date. So, my recommendation is if you have a book coming due and not done, charge your Nook and just let it sleep.
robslp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 03:21 PM   #38
petechan
Connoisseur

Thank you to all who replied to my question. I don't know if you are aware of this, but the Libre also, in general, does not turn off when you push the power button, it just goes to sleep, that's why it can show the page back in a few seconds. This is probably why I have been getting away with reading a book past its expiration date.

How long does the nook last in the sleep mode?
Old 06-24-2010, 09:42 PM   #39
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
How long does the nook last in the sleep mode?
Assuming you keep the nook charged, nearly forever. Unless it freezes or crashes, which happens to me maybe once every 3 weeks.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:26 AM   #40
ks-man
ks-man began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
ADE transfers the book to the Digital Editions folder by default - nook firmware version 1.0.0 and 1.1.1 reads this folder, but versions 1.1.0 does not.

The work around is to move the book to your nook through Adobe Digital Editions. Then open the nook on your PC (it appears as an external drive), and then drag and drop the book from the Digital Editions folder to My Documents.

Then make sure you safely eject the nook from the PC.

Your book should show up and be readable when you check for new content on My Documents.
Is this workaround still necessary? It was posted a number of months ago so I don't know if software updates has made it more straightforward.
ks-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:29 PM   #41
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks-man View Post
Is this workaround still necessary? It was posted a number of months ago so I don't know if software updates has made it more straightforward.
Technically it is not a workaround. ADE is required to authorize the DRM and is necessary from the Overdrive side of things. It's how it's supposed to work.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:12 PM   #42
iBeth
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
Technically it is not a workaround. ADE is required to authorize the DRM and is necessary from the Overdrive side of things. It's how it's supposed to work.
I'm not a huge fan of ADE but it has some nice features for library books. It puts all the books on a special "borrowed" shelf, and it adds a banner to the cover image that tells you how much time you have left to read it. I like being able to easily locate my checked-out books.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:35 PM   #43
petechan
Connoisseur

Actually, in the context of my previous question regarding library lending periods, I think the Libre does have one up on the Nook.

I have two borrowed library books on my Libre, both borrowed one month ago at the same time, way past expiration, and I can actually open up both of the books right now. So it seems they don't expire.

I guess this is important for me, since some of the more popular fiction books have long lines of people who have them on their wish list, and if you had to return a book, it will be a while till you can re"borrow" them. One title I had to wait for nearly three months!

I really like the wifi capability of the Nook though..
Old 06-27-2010, 04:24 PM   #44
Joykins
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeth View Post
I'm not a huge fan of ADE but it has some nice features for library books. It puts all the books on a special "borrowed" shelf, and it adds a banner to the cover image that tells you how much time you have left to read it. I like being able to easily locate my checked-out books.
I can use it on my nook, sort all the books by status, and see all the library books loaded to it all sorted together (they will sort either by the number of days left, or "Expired". This is nice when I go to return them.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:27 PM   #45
ks-man
ks-man began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
I actually meant if I needed to put it on the Nook and then from the PC move the file from one folder on the Nook drive to another. It doesn't seem to be the case, my Nook mounts in ADE and then I just drag the book I want to the Nook. It shows up on the reader perfectly.

I had a question with Overdrive that I imagine somebody here can answer. If I have a book on hold and get an e-mail that it is available to be added to the cart, I supposedly have 3 days to check the book out. If it becomes available (I get the e-mail) at 1pm CST on Saturday, do I have until 1pm CST on Tuesday? Or is it midnight EST Tuesday/Wednesday or something else?

Thanks.
ks-man is offline   Reply With Quote