Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
bmeddings
bmeddings
bmeddings doesn't litterbmeddings doesn't litter

Device: iPad
Would appreciate help.

Today I decided to install "PDF Converter Ver. 8" from Nuance.
My intent was to convert some PDF book files to MS WORD files.
Then add to Calibre.
That worked on one test book and Calibre converted the book to ePUB format.

But when I went to compare the appearance of the new ePUB version versus the old PDF version I found that clicking on "View" in Calibre mistakenly "Added" the book.

I have since;
Uninstalled PDF Converter.
Uninstalled Calibre.
Re-installed Calibre.
Again uninstalled Calibre.
Again re-installed Calibre.

I am still unable to "View" any of my PDF books in Calibre.
"Viewing" PDF files results in "Adding" duplicate copies.
ePUB and MOBI files view correctly.
I have quite a lot of technical books in PDF format.

Can anyone suggest what I should do to view PDF books in Calibre ?

Any help for a senile old codger of 82 would be very gratefully received !

Basil Meddings
bmeddings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:10 PM   #2
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmeddings View Post

Basil Meddings
I don't know enough to advise you about Calibre. Assuming that Calibre is working as it was designed to work, you could open the PDF with a separate PDF reader like Foxit.

Since you are senile, I guess I'll have to remind you that you still haven't paid me back that $100 I lent you.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2012, 06:33 PM   #3
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmeddings View Post
Today I decided to install "PDF Converter Ver. 8" from Nuance.
My intent was to convert some PDF book files to MS WORD files.
Then add to Calibre.
That worked on one test book and Calibre converted the book to ePUB format.

But when I went to compare the appearance of the new ePUB version versus the old PDF version I found that clicking on "View" in Calibre mistakenly "Added" the book.

I have since;
Uninstalled PDF Converter.
Uninstalled Calibre.
Re-installed Calibre.
Again uninstalled Calibre.
Again re-installed Calibre.

I am still unable to "View" any of my PDF books in Calibre.
"Viewing" PDF files results in "Adding" duplicate copies.
ePUB and MOBI files view correctly.
I have quite a lot of technical books in PDF format.

Basil Meddings
The calibre forum is located on this website you should be able to get all the help you need from there.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
bmeddings
bmeddings

"The calibre forum is located on this website you should be able to get all the help you need from there. "

I thought I had posted in the Calibre forum !
Where did I post it .... and how do I post it in the Calibre forum ?

Apologies to everyone here.....wherever here is <embarassed>
Old 07-07-2012, 07:03 PM   #5
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Scroll down from the top of main menu, and it's below the reader make-specific section.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2012, 09:50 PM   #6
plib
Guru
plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I've imported and converted some pdfs to epub in calibre, with variable results. After the convert the book listing/metadata box on the right shows the various formats I have in the database for that book. If I click on the blue link to the epub format it opens the book with the calibre reader. If I click on the blue link to the pdf format it opens in Acrobat Reader, the program associated with pdfs on my machine. In your case that might be the Nuance program.

So clicking on the link to the specific format rather than just using the "View" option should open the book in the reader associated with that format. It hasn't added any dupes, for me at least.
plib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:23 PM   #7
bmeddings
bmeddings

I've imported and converted some pdfs to epub in calibre, with variable results. After the convert the book listing/metadata box on the right shows the various formats I have in the database for that book. If I click on the blue link to the epub format it opens the book with the calibre reader. If I click on the blue link to the pdf format it opens in Acrobat Reader, the program associated with pdfs on my machine. In your case that might be the Nuance program.

So clicking on the link to the specific format rather than just using the "View" option should open the book in the reader associated with that format. It hasn't added any dupes, for me at least.

Thanks. Doing a conversion from pdf to doc and then to ePUB was a bit of a long shot anyway. My concern was not so much with the quality of the conversion. My big complaint was that after installing, and running, PDF Converter the "View" function in Calibre no longer worked for pdf files. "View" in Calibre still worked for ePUB and MOBI.
I'm using Windows 7 and the File Associations still showed Calibre as being used for pdf files.

However, a friend today effectively pointed that I was being stupidly thoughtless <Grin>
His comment was "Why not do a System Restore from before installing PDF Converter ?"

So I did .... Calibre now views all my pdf files correctly.

So, my thanks to everyone for all the help. The workaround has been applied.