Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 12-05-2007, 11:13 AM   #1
Loopy65
Groupie
Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3; iPad & iPhone 4
USB light ok for cybook?

Hi all

As you probably know by now i don't actually have my cybook yet but am thinking about a travel light .. could someone please tell me if you can just use the USB on the cybook to attach a light?

Thanks!
Loopy
Loopy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:20 AM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy65 View Post
Hi all

As you probably know by now i don't actually have my cybook yet but am thinking about a travel light .. could someone please tell me if you can just use the USB on the cybook to attach a light?

Thanks!
Loopy
USB is not reversible. A master USB connector supplies power but a slave USB connector receives power. The Cybook has a slave connector and thus it will not work to attach a light that needs power. You are better off using a light with its own batteries anyway IMHO.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2007, 11:22 AM   #3
Loopy65
Groupie
Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
USB is not reversible. A master USB connector supplies power but a slave USB connector receives power. The Cybook has a slave connector and thus it will not work to attach a light that needs power. You are better off using a light with its own batteries anyway IMHO.

Dale
thanks so much for the prompt reply Dale .. that's exactly what i needed to know ) ..

Loopy
Old 12-05-2007, 11:57 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you get an LED light, it'll last forever (well, a long time, anyway ). LEDs use remarkably little power. I have an LED light and run it off AA batteries which have "given up the ghost" in things like TV remote controls. They run the light for ages even when the remote thinks they're "dead"!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:05 PM   #5
Loopy65
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you get an LED light, it'll last forever (well, a long time, anyway ). LEDs use remarkably little power. I have an LED light and run it off AA batteries which have "given up the ghost" in things like TV remote controls. They run the light for ages even when the remote thinks they're "dead"!
Thanks Harry ... sounds good .. the only thing is i want to clip it onto the cybook so it needs to be as light as possible ('scuse the pun!) ..

will look around ..

la la la .. just killing time til my cybook gets here! lol

Loopy
Advert
Old 12-05-2007, 12:10 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
('scuse the pun!)
Certainly not! Rather Celebrate the pun!

Fear not the pun, embrace the pun, looooove the pun. The pun is your Frieeeeend!

Punliness is next to Godliness, and I can prove it Scripturally, too!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:58 PM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:

Dale
I checked this. There is no power supplied from the USB port.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 01:05 PM   #8
Loopy65
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I checked this. There is no power supplied from the USB port.
thanks Nate i appreciate it ..

sheeesh waiting for my cybook is like getting ready for a new baby! .. i want a nice light for it and everything all ready! .. i know that hubby and the kids are going to suddenly get 'needy' once the thing arrives so i'm left struggling to get 'quality time' with my Cybook baby! lol

Loopy
Old 12-05-2007, 04:43 PM   #9
SUSGOD
Connoisseur
SUSGOD began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre-eBook reader PRO
Quote:
thanks Nate i appreciate it ..
sheeesh waiting for my cybook is like getting ready for a new baby! .. i want a nice light for it and everything all ready! .. i know that hubby and the kids are going to suddenly get 'needy' once the thing arrives so i'm left struggling to get 'quality time' with my Cybook baby! lol

Loopy
While waiting to order at NAEB, I've surfed for book lights, and I came across this interesting data comparing incandescent and LED lights. http://www.bookmatestore.com/book-lights.htm

Booklights using incandescent lights need to have the bulbs, apx $2 apiece, replaced every 20-40 hours of use.

"...compare the cost of replacement incandescent bulbs to rated life expectancies of 30,000 hours or more for LED's: Assuming each incandescent bulb lasted at least 40 hours, you would have to buy 750 replacement bulbs to get as many hours use out of a light that used incandescent bulb as the LED design, which would cost you $1,500, not counting shipping and handling! Clearly, paying a little more for an LED light could be quickly recouped if you use your light regularly."

Has any one used a book light with the Cybook? Is there any light that does or does not fit correctly?
SUSGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 04:57 PM   #10
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I'm using the Mighty Bright XtraFlex Duet on the Cybook and it clips on fine. Picked it up off eBay and it wasn't expensive.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 05:23 PM   #11
Loopy65
Groupie

thanks for the help everyone .. MUCH appreciated .. now I have a light on its way to me! .. just hoping the Cybook follows! lol .. altho the lights look useful for all kinds of things (well lighting up things that is!) .. and they had it in PURPLE!! (fave coloUr) ..

oh! went with the mighty bright LED duet light ..

thanks again

Loopy
Old 12-05-2007, 08:01 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
thanks for the help everyone .. MUCH appreciated .. now I have a light on its way to me! .. just hoping the Cybook follows! lol .. altho the lights look useful for all kinds of things (well lighting up things that is!) .. and they had it in PURPLE!! (fave coloUr) ..

oh! went with the mighty bright LED duet light ..

thanks again

Loopy
I really think you need to buy several. One color for every possible mood you might be in. As you are reading you may need to change the color depending on the book

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 03:34 AM   #13
Loopy65
Groupie

Quote:
I really think you need to buy several. One color for every possible mood you might be in. As you are reading you may need to change the color depending on the book

Dale
rotfl! i think hubby thinks i've spent enough money for now!!! .. but i'll certainly bear it in mind! *grin* .. got one for hubby too for his iRex .. i was soooo glad to think of something for him to open at Christmas!

Loopy
Old 12-06-2007, 03:47 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
sheeesh waiting for my cybook is like getting ready for a new baby!
Hopefully the "delivery" will be a little less painful .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 05:09 AM   #15
Wimvv
Wimvv began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
I'm using the Mighty Bright XtraFlex Duet on the Cybook and it clips on fine. Picked it up off eBay and it wasn't expensive.
Thanks just ordered it
Wimvv is offline   Reply With Quote