Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-01-2011, 07:27 PM   #31
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
If the image is still on the card, the device should try to boot off of it. That's why the instructions tell you to remove it. If you don't, it'll boot off of it again.

Something doesn't sound right.

Power the device off. Turn it on again with the card in already.

Edit: Maybe you need to reset to factory first? Again, I'm not sure why you say something went wrong.

Last edited by SCION; 01-01-2011 at 07:32 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:12 AM   #32
bigbrothad
bigbrothad began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Why were you interested in rooting yours?
OT
First, I have no qualms with soft modding, chipping/hard modding, flashing routers, etc. BTW, I have not rooted my nook classic since I'm actually enjoying reading books on it.

OP is self described as non-tech savvy. OP was asking whether to root or not. I'm not trying to talk down a noobie out of anything, but clearly, she's having problems with the auto-rooting process. I'm just suggesting that she try to enjoy the device for what it's worth right now rather than bring a bunch of grief on herself.
/OT
bigbrothad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 12:23 AM   #33
Girl Read Write
Literary Goodness
Girl Read Write began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, iPad 2, iPhone 4, iPhone 5, Samsung Infuse
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrothad View Post
OT
First, I have no qualms with soft modding, chipping/hard modding, flashing routers, etc. BTW, I have not rooted my nook classic since I'm actually enjoying reading books on it.

OP is self described as non-tech savvy. OP was asking whether to root or not. I'm not trying to talk down a noobie out of anything, but clearly, she's having problems with the auto-rooting process. I'm just suggesting that she try to enjoy the device for what it's worth right now rather than bring a bunch of grief on herself.
/OT
I think that even if you aren't tech-savvy, attempting to root can teach you a few things, and you can learn a little bit more about your device. Not to mention, if you get it rooted correctly (which I haven't) you'll feel like you made a great accomplishment. I'm not technologically proficient by any means, I had a lot of trouble when I first started the process, mainly because I had issues writing the image to the micro sd. But, once I got that squared away, the rest was relatively painless. Two heads may be better than one--DH helped me, and he pointed out a couple of things I was overlooking. But even if you attempt it yourself, it can work. And there are always people here who can give you tips and point you in the right direction.

Go for it, OP. Read and study instructions, and then go for it. It's probably not going to be really easy, but it will be worth it. My main reason for rooting was to be able to have a kindle app on my nook, and rooting, for me, accomplished that goal. I'm honestly not trying to be self-deprecating, but if I can "root" this thingamajig, anyone can.
Girl Read Write is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:02 AM   #34
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrothad View Post
but clearly, she's having problems with the auto-rooting process. I'm just suggesting that she try to enjoy the device for what it's worth right now rather than bring a bunch of grief on herself.
I actually might agree with you (I think folks new to the Nook and/or deeper tech issues should spend time with the Nook as it is first, especially the very cool read-in-store options), but in this case she has already rooted. The only question now is whether she has it set up correctly with the google marketplace in order to get value from the rooting she did (since she has now lost in-store features -- as all rooted devices do).

Debra Jo can let us know what sort of problems she is or isn't having at this point. If she wants to go back to stock, it is possible to do so and we can help with that, too.

Debra Jo: I don't know how for sure to restart the setup wizard from the beginning on the Nook (I do on some other phones), but let us know what issues you are having (if any) and we can probably help (might be as simple as launching the youtube app and signing in (or signing out and resigning in).
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:27 AM   #35
Rocketime
Zealot
Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle/Nook Color/NST/Acer Iconica
I agree with Zartemis. I'm not tech savy and I'm still learning about my NC. I have been toying with the idea of rooting but I keep putting off until we see what comes out from BN.

I have an Ipod Touch that I use for apps. It is easy to tote around and I use it as a PDA as well. The NC is a bit large to carry with me all the time and I do use the in-store reading feature since I live 1 mile from a BN store.
Rocketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 08:50 PM   #36
debra jo
debra jo began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
i am the least tech savvy person alive and i did it yesterday with the help of this forum, and specifically scion. i am having fun so far....
do it.
debra jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:48 AM   #37
Mastiff
Viking proof reader
Mastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowMastiff will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Device: Onyx Boox Max 3
How can anybody get tech savvy without trying? I had no idea what I was doing the first time I tried to change the clutch on a moped, and that went reasonably well with the help of a Haynes type manual. Then I went on to more and more advanced stuff. Now I am 44 and in the middle of rebuilding a '81 Buick V6 turbo completely, so there has been a certain development on that front. And I could go on with personal tales of computer experimenting, the amateur plumber, electrician and so on. Learn by doing!

Or I could tell you about my father, who bought his first computer ten years ago without knowing anything about them. Two years later he started his own hobby website (wooden sailboats) and that's now one of the biggest and most popular of it's kind in Scandinavia. And he's been on Facebook for several years, I don't even go there!

Last edited by Mastiff; 01-03-2011 at 02:51 AM.
Mastiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:14 AM   #38
debra jo
debra jo began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
i've had the nook rooted since this weekend and haven't had alot of time to play with it since i'm back at work. questions i do have (after reading more posts on the forum regarding rooting nc) are:

---what is ADW and do i need it? how do i get it?
---i have the soft keys app. what is it? i read alot about soft keys but don't know what it is.
---how can i set up the nook with apps on the initial screen, like my HTC evo?
---when the bn update comes out and after i update, can i use the same microsd card with autonooter to root again?
---do i need a different micro sd card to transfer pics to the nook? i assume using the autonooter one for anything other than rooting purposes is not a good idea?

i think that's all for today....wheew!

thank you again
debra jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:12 PM   #39
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
---what is ADW and do i need it? how do i get it?
ADW is a "launcher" or homescreen program that replaces the B&N homescreen. It can be downloaded from the Market. It allows you to have shortcuts to apps right on the screen, as well as widgets like weather or a clock. It is a bit more difficult, but you can also put links to books on your "homescreen". I personally use Zeam instead of ADW. If you decide you want try another launcher, you will also want to download "home switcher" from the market. This will allow you to switch back to the B&N home screen if you want to; or change the default home screen.

---i have the soft keys app. what is it? i read alot about soft keys but don't know what it is.

Soft keys app displays an overlay button that when pressed brings up the standard 4 android buttons. This is needed because the Nook lacks the 4 buttons as hardware buttons. Some prefer to remove SoftKeys and download "Button Savior" from the Market (that's what I did).

---how can i set up the nook with apps on the initial screen, like my HTC evo?
ADW or Zeam

---when the bn update comes out and after i update, can i use the same microsd card with autonooter to root again?

probably not - the last update broke the original autonooter; Autonooter was updated about 12 hours later ...

---do i need a different micro sd card to transfer pics to the nook? i assume using the autonooter one for anything other than rooting purposes is not a good idea?
yes - you will either want to format the SD card you used for rooting in the Nook (make sure you don't boot with it or it will re-root) or use a different card for daily use. Once your are rooted, you shouldn't need the card again - so I would format it using your Nook AFTER it has booted - don't boot with it installed!)
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:52 PM   #40
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
debra jo, you may also want to download SD Formater (free DL). With it you can format your SD card using windows (or as previously mentioned use your NC instead). Winimage changes the partition size of the SD card and the Windows format command will not recognize the unused partition. E.g. if you used a 4 GB card, Winimage would partition it for the .img file you used (about 128MB). SD Formater will get it back to 4GB.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:34 PM   #41
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
I had similar issues getting the SD card to write. I tried several times, but couldn't get past this part. The more I thought about it the more I decided to pass. I got the nook to read on mostly and will just wait for official apps from B&N.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote