Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-07-2010, 08:21 PM   #1
CrashHarddrive
CrashHarddrive began at the beginning.

Device: B&N nook
Locked metatags

I recently bought a B&N nook, and I'm extremely impressed with everything but the documents view. It brings up a flat-file of all the contents of my documents folder in one long list. Ugly. I set up Calibre to clean up the tags on my files, so the list will at least make sense (I have books with tags like "pdf" and ".6", which makes it hard to navigate). I have v0.6.37 installed on Arch Linux 64. It sees my nook fine and loads any files I choose, but the 'Edit meta information' and 'Convert E-books' buttons are grayed out, and double-clicking on anything in the list does nothing. I'm new to Calibre, so I don't know if this is my unfamiliarity with the software or a bug. My books are from all over, but none have any DRM. Many are PFD's from O'Reilly Media, and more are converted from text via CUPS-PDF. No matter where the source, all are locked. Is there a solution?
CrashHarddrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:50 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
the buttons are grayed out when you're viewing books on the device.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2010, 09:26 PM   #3
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Changing the metadata for books already on the Nook is not supported at this time.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:49 AM   #4
CrashHarddrive

If retagging books on a nook is currently unsupported, is it under development? If so, is there a timeline? I've tried to open the books on my hard drive, but Calibre seems to only look on a mobile device. Is there a way to work with files on my hard drive?
Old 02-08-2010, 05:17 AM   #5
AFK_Matrix
Sci Fi Addict :)
AFK_Matrix doesn't litterAFK_Matrix doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Sorry if Im teaching you to suck eggs here CrashHarddrive but have you gone through the wizard in Calibre and created a Library on your Harddrive? If not go up to the preferences button and click the arrow next to it and then run the wizard. Setup the Library, you will need a copy of the books on your hardrive somewhere. Now click the Add books button and navigate to your books on your HDD. You should then be able to click on these once they are added and edit the metadata etc.
AFK_Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2010, 04:25 PM   #6
CrashHarddrive

Well I mentioned how much of a noob I am to Calibre, didn't I?
It was such a simple thing, I had the program window too narrow for the preferences button to show, and missed the little expansion button. Many thanks, I think I can move forward on my own from here.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:33 PM   #7
AFK_Matrix
Sci Fi Addict :)
AFK_Matrix doesn't litterAFK_Matrix doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Hi Crash,

Glad I could help mate, hope you get all the metadata edited that you wanted to do.
AFK_Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:08 PM   #8
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashHarddrive View Post
If retagging books on a nook is currently unsupported, is it under development?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashHarddrive View Post
If so, is there a timeline?
It's part of a number of changes I'm making to the driver infrastructure. I'm shooting for end of March for everything to be completed.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote