Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-05-2010, 01:50 PM   #1
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Covers with the new update ?

With the new 1.2 firmware, can you now see the covers for all books, including those you did not buy at B&N, in the LCD Display ?

My brother would like to order it, but most of his books are not B&N Books.

thanks for your feedback.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:19 PM   #2
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
From what I understand the cover flow feature does not work with sideloaded content. Cover flow for me is kind of a gimmick any way. When the books are opened you can see the cover in the LCD display.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2010, 03:43 PM   #3
:D ominik
Groupie
:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
Coverflow (and searching, filtering, ...) can be done with the nookLibrary extension on rooted nooks.

Bye,

Dominik
:D ominik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:19 PM   #4
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
From what I understand the cover flow feature does not work with sideloaded content. Cover flow for me is kind of a gimmick any way. When the books are opened you can see the cover in the LCD display.
Exactly. I also agree to the "gimmick". A nice one, but not too much practical use.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:54 AM   #5
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
With the new 1.2 firmware, can you now see the covers for all books, including those you did not buy at B&N, in the LCD Display ?

My brother would like to order it, but most of his books are not B&N Books.

thanks for your feedback.
You can softroot the nook, then all covers are visible.
But they don't look as nice as the B&N ones. Maybe I have to generate better covers manually in calibre.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07679.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	441.1 KB
ID:	45140  
Advert
Old 02-07-2010, 03:18 AM   #6
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

well, it looks nice enough.

It really looks better with the covers as without. And the attractivity of the Nook lies very much in its design, so seeing the covers in colour is really a plus. Plus, I for myself have a photographic memory, which means I'll remember the story of a book if I see the cover, not so much if I read the title.

Softrooting enables you to get your Calibre books via WiFi, doesn't it? If so, it is a must... I love that possibility with Stanza on my iphone.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:37 AM   #7
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
well, it looks nice enough.

It really looks better with the covers as without. And the attractivity of the Nook lies very much in its design, so seeing the covers in colour is really a plus. Plus, I for myself have a photographic memory, which means I'll remember the story of a book if I see the cover, not so much if I read the title.

Softrooting enables you to get your Calibre books via WiFi, doesn't it? If so, it is a must... I love that possibility with Stanza on my iphone.
Here you see, what you can get: http://nookdevs.com/Softroot
I've tried:
- NookLibrary:
Allows to sort by "most recent" (sideloaded books, not purchased from B&N). Nice, but I can live without it.
Enables cover flow. Quality is what you see on my pic above. I'll only use it if I find a trick for way better quality.
- Pandora:
Would have been interesting. But I couldn't make it work. Maybe it's only working via 3G? Always got error message.
- nookBrowser:
Works flawlessly. But surfing on eInk? No need for me.
- Trook:
Download from Stanza catalogs or feeds.
I've tried "Spiegel", working great.

Right now, I'm deinstalling it again. Nice to fool around, but actually I don't need any of it. I guess I'll keep using my UMPC for those demands. And iPad in 2 months.

Last edited by mgmueller; 02-07-2010 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:11 AM   #8
aceflor
Wizard

the ipad, eh ? Of Course you do!

Edited: I think that Pandora won't work if you use an outside the US IP. It will only work with a VPN Client simulating you are in the US, if I understood properly...

Last edited by aceflor; 02-07-2010 at 04:16 AM.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:15 AM   #9
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
But what will arrive first? Que or iPad? Anyway, I need both of course.

Last edited by mgmueller; 02-07-2010 at 04:19 AM.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:22 AM   #10
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:

Edited: I think that Pandora won't work if you use an outside the US IP. It will only work with a VPN Client simulating you are in the US, if I understood properly...
This may be the explanation. I hoped for a VPN or IP "fogging", but probably nothing of that kind...
Old 02-07-2010, 04:27 AM   #11
aceflor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
But what will arrive first? Que or iPad? Anyway, I need both of course.
Abso.f.lutely. Or at least, you should really really convince yourself (and your wife) that you do. Says me. Who will get a nook in around 2 weeks , and a second one for my brother if the first one convinces me..
Old 02-07-2010, 06:20 AM   #12
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I have to buy and download B&N books on my PC and sideload them to my Nook into B&N Library. I confirm that the cover flow works from either direct download or sideloading for B&N purchased ebooks.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:23 AM   #13
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthoven View Post
...I confirm that the cover flow works from either direct download or sideloading for B&N purchased ebooks.
...and with Softroot, you can make it work even for 3rd party books, not from B&N.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:42 AM   #14
mos
Addict
mos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it is

Device: iphone 4, iPad, Nook softrooted
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthoven View Post
I have to buy and download B&N books on my PC and sideload them to my Nook into B&N Library. I confirm that the cover flow works from either direct download or sideloading for B&N purchased ebooks.
Once they are in your online library, you don'T have to side load them on your Nook. You can just tap on "check for new contend" and can download the books etc. directly via your Nook. You just cannot buy them directly.

Try it. It works for me. I buy them via vpn and computer. Once they are bought I can download them on my Nook without any problem.
mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:24 AM   #15
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by mos View Post
Once they are in your online library, you don'T have to side load them on your Nook. You can just tap on "check for new contend" and can download the books etc. directly via your Nook. You just cannot buy them directly.

Try it. It works for me. I buy them via vpn and computer. Once they are bought I can download them on my Nook without any problem.
Did you softroot yours? If so: What applications do you use?