Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-28-2008, 12:35 AM   #1
imagitronics
Enthusiast
imagitronics has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.imagitronics has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.imagitronics has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle DX / Sony PRS-505
PRS-505 won't boot with large number of images.

Hey all,

I've been holding out for the plastic logic reader due out in Q2 2009 (www.plasticlogic.com), but my wife got me a PRS-505 for Christmas. Never one to look a gift-horse in the mouth, I transfered a number of my PDF files to the device with varying success, and purchased a few books from the Sony store.

Then I got an idea. The greyscale screen, the widescreen format. This device would be absolutely perfect for reading newspaper (or web-based) comic strips. I aggregated a number of them, such as xkcd.

I tried to use Calibre to format the images into an ebook format, but the results were pretty dismal no matter what I tried. Most of the comics would scan two "pages" and since there is no fine-grained control over the screen, I could only see the top half of the strip on one page, and the bottom half of the strip on the next page.

Then I came up with the idea to just put the image files onto the device. They looked fabulous in the image viewer, so I dove right in and put a couple thousand images onto the SD card. Now the device won't even boot with the SD card inserted. When it was taking hours to boot, I was hoping that it was building some sort of database on the SD card and that it would be a one-time thing... unfortunately, the batteries died before I could find out.

My question is, does anyone know what settings I can use to take a standard weekday comic strip and convert it into something that's more readable... alternately, what's been your experience in copying a large number of images to the device?

Thanks for reading. I know I'm a bit verbose.
Tim
imagitronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 03:33 AM   #2
imagitronics
Enthusiast
imagitronics has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.imagitronics has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.imagitronics has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle DX / Sony PRS-505
Scratch that.

I found this post in the Linux thread that discussed using the comic2lrf program that comes with Calibre, and it does an absolutely amazing job!

It even rotates the images for me, so that I don't have to worry about that either. It's amazing and it works fabulously!

Thanks,
Tim
imagitronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert