Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-30-2013, 12:00 AM   #106
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I don't have a 350 but I do have a 650 PRS+ and the Kobo Aura blows it out of the water for page turn speeds. I think the Glo does as well.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:20 AM   #107
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
That really surprises me. Do you have a lot of books on the 650? When I hit over 1100 books on the 350, everything slowed down then for me, including page turns. Now I only keep up to 200 books on the reader at any time, and I have the same exact books on the Kobo, same amount.

I've tried the page turns in different books in case there were any formatting issues one reader didn't like, and every time the Sony is faster. I thought the Kobo would be faster, especially since it only refreshes the screen every 6 pages, but it's not the case for me.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2013, 02:17 AM   #108
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I've got them both in front of me and the Aura has changed the page before the Sony even flashes. I've tried it at the store with the regular Kobo and kindle and T2 and had similar results. Are you sure it isn't just your eyes?
I only have about 70 books on my 650.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:31 AM   #109
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Positive it's not my eyes in this instance . When I read on the Sony, I can pretty much continue reading without skipping a beat; on the Glo, I'm annoyed by having to wait for the text to appear quite often.

Are your Sony books on the device itself or on an SD card?
Old 04-30-2013, 03:11 AM   #110
thomasn75
Groupie
thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o v2, kobo Aura, sony prs t1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Positive it's not my eyes in this instance . When I read on the Sony, I can pretty much continue reading without skipping a beat; on the Glo, I'm annoyed by having to wait for the text to appear quite often.

Are your Sony books on the device itself or on an SD card?
Apart from my t1 deciding to skip 2 pages every few page turns(using buttons)
thomasn75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2013, 03:44 AM   #111
Tonycole
Tonycole is on a distinguished road

Device: Various Sony ereaders, Kindle and Nooks
The curious thing is that Sony came out with a front lit model some four years ago, and then for some reason dropped the idea.

It always saddens me how clumsy Sony are with their marketing initiatives.
Tonycole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:09 AM   #112
VelvetElvis
Addict
VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Fire HD8, Asus, Sony (T1, PRS-300), Kobo (Glo, Touch, Wireless)
Quote:
Originally Posted by david8866 View Post
When your KOBO reader works correctly, you should NOT upgrade to the new firmware. It sometimes breaks things, or introduces new trouble. KOBO's firmware is now good enough, but bad track records warrant caution.
Kobo still has ongoing software issues. With every new release, there's either new bugs, or the reappearance of old bugs. Granted, they appear to gain some ground each time, but, as I've mentioned elsewhere, their Beta testing leaves a lot to be desired, and sloppy omissions continue.

I'm personally on my 4th Glo, experiencing a high battery drain issue that the readers of the Kobo forum appear to have tracked down before the Kobo development team could. It appears to still not be fixed.
VelvetElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:30 AM   #113
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
As far as features go, I still think the Sony x50 series wins hands down, including faster page turns even though it's over 2 years old.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
I don't have a 350 but I do have a 650 PRS+ and the Kobo Aura blows it out of the water for page turn speeds. I think the Glo does as well.
I have a Japanese 650 and a Kobo Mini. The page turn is clearly faster on the Mini, whose processor is slower than the Glo's.
With the 650, I got so used to touch the screen a little bit before reaching the bottom right in order to avoid to wait a couple of seconds, that I've had to learn not to do that on the Mini because I was always missing the last words

I need to try again but I think the page turn is little bit faster when using the buttons (650 obviously).
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:40 AM   #114
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonycole View Post
The curious thing is that Sony came out with a front lit model some four years ago, and then for some reason dropped the idea.
They dropped the idea because the technology wasn't good enough at that time, and because of that failure they now seem wary of the lighting tech. But four years later the technology has moved on considerably.

In fact, Kobo have shown with the release of the Glo last year and now the Aura that even in the space of 6 months they have made improvements to the screen/lighting.

The competition is far tougher now, its sink or swim time for Sony I think?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:05 PM   #115
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Well no kidding! The 350/650 is what, 3 years old at least? It's older technology of course it's going to be slower than the newest thing out on the market.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:29 PM   #116
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
I've got them both in front of me and the Aura has changed the page before the Sony even flashes. I've tried it at the store with the regular Kobo and kindle and T2 and had similar results. Are you sure it isn't just your eyes?
I only have about 70 books on my 650.
That's interesting, I tried this with the Aura and T1, and as far as I could tell, identical for page turn time. Keyboard typing also the same.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:49 PM   #117
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

I'm starting to wonder if there's not something wrong with my Kobo Glo. The Sony 350s definitely have faster page turns for me. The response on the Glo when you turn it seems to lag before it actually flips the page.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:01 PM   #118
kkysnoopy
kkysnoopy began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
I just sold my t2 and bought a kindle pw . I love my t2 but pw has built in light so I sold t2 .

What I discovered was horrifying because in t2 the browser is lightning fast and I can download or borrow book from my library . In kindle pw I cannot do that , firstly it has to convert to mobi format and I cannot access the Dropbox as easily as my t2 . And the browser in pw still experimental . If anyone says its an advanced ereader , I'll tell them my foot . I really need to get rid of pw , as though the fonts can customized, but when new firmware updated automatically , I need to copy from my PC to pw again . The fonts in pw is super boring . And it's heavy... Feel so tired holding pw for reading , I have no prob with t2 . Yup, if t3 with or without light....I'll get it soon . At least no hassle to open my epubs in the stable and fully functional browser in Sony t1/t2/t3.
kkysnoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #119
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Kobo browser now is improved almost to point it is equal to T1, & T2. Only problem my local Florida stores including Best Buy, and Walmart have no demo Kobo or Sony readers only Kindles and Nooks. Most of the time when I was looking to buy a glow this year they were out of stock. I would think Nooks have enough exposure in Barns & Noble, and Books a Million stores. Kobo in USA are sold at independent book stores which sounds great but not at any that I have visited. I would have bought a Kobo Glow by now if they were easier see in person and buy.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #120
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkysnoopy View Post
I just sold my t2 and bought a kindle pw . I love my t2 but pw has built in light so I sold t2 .

What I discovered was horrifying because in t2 the browser is lightning fast and I can download or borrow book from my library . In kindle pw I cannot do that , firstly it has to convert to mobi format and I cannot access the Dropbox as easily as my t2 . And the browser in pw still experimental . If anyone says its an advanced ereader , I'll tell them my foot . I really need to get rid of pw , as though the fonts can customized, but when new firmware updated automatically , I need to copy from my PC to pw again . The fonts in pw is super boring . And it's heavy... Feel so tired holding pw for reading , I have no prob with t2 . Yup, if t3 with or without light....I'll get it soon . At least no hassle to open my epubs in the stable and fully functional browser in Sony t1/t2/t3.
Next time post questions before actually selling a reader you like for another. At my library they now offer some mobi titles also, you might see if that's possible at your library.

I still love my PRS-350 as my reader of choice, there's just no doubt it's superior in just about everything, software and hardware, even though it's over 2 years old. But I really need a light and was tired of carrying a separate light with me at times or using the bulkier Sony cover with light when out. If I was certain the next line of Sonys would have a built-in light, I'd have waited for that.

I went with the Kobo Glo because it does handle epubs, it uses infrared for the touch (my skin and capacitive touch, which is on the Kindle PW, just don't work well, and I read a lot outdoors even in the winter which would mean buying a $40 pair of thin gloves just to use the reader and not even be warm), and the size and weight, it's not much bigger than the 350s, about 1/4" wider and 1/2" taller, 2mm thicker, and 30g heavier. The Glo also has pretty decent font customization, better than the Kindle. You can also borrow epubs directly from the library, although I haven't tried it yet, I usually download to my PC first.

While there's a few things I really don't like compared to the Sony, they're livable for the light. But if and when Sony comes out with a front-lit reader, I'll buy it as long as it's the usual stability that Sony is known for.

Edit: I just tested out the browser and it's remarkably fast from my home network, so no complaints at all on the speed. It doesn't seem to let you switch orientation to landscape mode, which would probably help for some webpages. No idea how that compares to the T1-T2.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 05-03-2013 at 04:10 PM.