Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Does TSA make you remove your 9"+ tablet from your luggage?
Yes, TSA makes me remove my tablet for inspection (most of the time) 3 9.09%
No, TSA doesn't make me remove my tablet for inspection (most of the time) 30 90.91%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-16-2012, 11:10 AM   #1
rjpawlak
Enthusiast
rjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Nook STR and Nook Tablet
TSA experiences? 9+" Readers/Tablets

I'm just curious. One of the reasons I decided to go with a 7" tablet is that TSA doesn't require removal of the device from my luggage. I've been in many different airports over the years, and it seems as though some require removal of ipads (which I take to mean any 10" tablet-like thing), and some do not.

Does anyone travel successfully without having to remove their 10" tablet? Experiences?

Last edited by rjpawlak; 01-16-2012 at 11:14 AM. Reason: improve accuracy of title
rjpawlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:25 PM   #2
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
My experiences with a huge 17" work laptop vary. Even recently I was passed through without removing the device from its case (I forgot, as it usually is required). The rules are just not consistently enforced by TSA workers.

I just take a deep breath and try to relax when I fly because it is just "security theater" to me (Really? You're telling me five or ten travellers intending harm won't think of combining multiple liquid containers? D'oh!).
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
rjpawlak
Enthusiast
rjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchfork

Yes, I abandon myself to the travel gods... But, I do have to travel with a work laptop, and the process of 'personal disassembly' that one has to go through is getting longer and longer.

I suspect that it may be influencing what people decide to buy, but I am not sure.

Bob
Old 01-16-2012, 01:47 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Getting a smaller tablet when you really want a larger one just because the TSA might want to see it is not really a good reason to go with the smaller tablet. My wife has an iPad and both on domestic and international flights, she has never had to take it out of her bag.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:20 PM   #5
rjpawlak
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Getting a smaller tablet when you really want a larger one just because the TSA might want to see it is not really a good reason to go with the smaller tablet. My wife has an iPad and both on domestic and international flights, she has never had to take it out of her bag.
Which airports, if I may ask?

Since TSA requires a bin fo reach computer, it can be a bit tedious. (bin for laptop)+(bin for tablet)+(bin for shoes, jacket and liquids)+bags.

If this were the only issue it would be workable - but they also want removal of the laptop and tablet from its case, which is extra hassle, and places the tablet at risk because of its big glass display.

Bob
Advert
Old 01-16-2012, 03:24 PM   #6
hrosvit
Moron
hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hrosvit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Galaxy Note 2, Nook ST
I have an ExoPC tablet (11.6" display), and fly about twice a month. I carry it in a small Timbuk2 messenger bag, and have never taken it out when going through security, and have never been asked to.
hrosvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:14 PM   #7
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
This is an interesting topic. I have always been told that laptops must be removed, opened, and sent through separately. I have heard that electronic devices had to be removed from a carryon. So, I take my laptop, phone, and kindle out and send them through. I have had NO agent ask me about a bagged kindle or phone and I have had TWO tell me to leave them in the bag to avoid damage.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:18 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjpawlak View Post
Which airports, if I may ask?

Since TSA requires a bin fo reach computer, it can be a bit tedious. (bin for laptop)+(bin for tablet)+(bin for shoes, jacket and liquids)+bags.

If this were the only issue it would be workable - but they also want removal of the laptop and tablet from its case, which is extra hassle, and places the tablet at risk because of its big glass display.

Bob
Boston Logan, Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Hethro, Talon, Helsinki, JFK in NYC are the ones I can recall. Never once did the iPad have to come out. Laptops yes.

So to be honest, return or sell your tablet and buy the one you really wanted with the larger screen.

And so what if the tablet has to come out of your bag. My laptop has never had a problem with the scanner. Nothing I've put through the scanner has had a problem. So really, your just being needlessly paranoid.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-16-2012 at 05:20 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:20 PM   #9
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
The TSA is weird.

We traveled last year. Husband had a laptop in his luggage; I had a little netbook (miniature laptop) in my carryon.

TSA made him boot up his laptop, but waved me through in irritation when I tried to boot up my netbook for them. They claimed they only checked laptops, not netbooks. I wanted to ask them why, since the devices seem remarkably same to ME, but of course you're not supposed to question them.

ETA: They weren't even REMOTELY interested in my Nook Classic. Move on, Miss!
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:22 PM   #10
Bob Butler
Connoisseur
Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kindle, iPhone
I have a backpack where the laptop compartment unfolds and lies flat on the conveyor belt without anything other than the canvas of the backpack obstructing the scanner. Since purchasing it about 3 years ago I have never had to remove my laptop from the backpack and have taken dozens of flights.

I also have both an iPad and a Kindle, and have never removed either from my backpack.

If only there was a similar solution for my shoes.
Bob Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:23 PM   #11
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
In my experience (3-4 return international flights a month), I always get told to remove my laptop from its bag and to place my mobile phone in the tray. The e-reader and tablet never get queried when left in my bag.

I have no idea what the logic behind that is.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:13 PM   #12
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
My husband travels extensively in the US and occasionally abroad, and he says it varies not from airport to airport, but from TSA agent to TSA agent. He always keeps it out of his carry-on bag and ready for them, just in case.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:31 PM   #13
dgillette.rm
Connoisseur
dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: sony
The only time the TSA makes me remove my tablet is when it ends up under my Sony during the X-Ray process. My carry on bag can avoid that, so I have no problem.
dgillette.rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:32 PM   #14
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I only have international experience at a number of Asian airports. I average 2-4 flights each month. They always ask me to remove the laptop. But I never had to remove my 9" tablet or my Kindle DX.

Last edited by HansTWN; 01-16-2012 at 09:37 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:11 AM   #15
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
The last few times I've flown, it's been largely split. Sometimes they'll ask to see my devices out of the bags and ask some other questions, other times it's as if they didn't exist at all. I think it just depends on which agents you get to deal with. My dad was in the TSA for a while and he said that it's a crap-shoot as to who gets checked and when.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ipad, tablet, travel, tsa