Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-07-2013, 03:14 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
Can the Lee Child books be read in any order? I'm number 55 on the library waiting list for The Killing Floor.(they have 4 copies) Well, it's not like I don't have hundreds and hundreds of other books to read, but that's a still long wait. I could get some of the other books sooner.
Out of order, not really.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:18 PM   #17
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Can the Lee Child books be read in any order? I'm number 55 on the library waiting list for The Killing Floor.(they have 4 copies) Well, it's not like I don't have hundreds and hundreds of other books to read, but that's a still long wait. I could get some of the other books sooner.
Check this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=200515

There was a discussion in the last few pages about the reading order. Different people have different views on this with the Reacher books.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #18
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
I'll +1 to Lee Child, Scott Horvath, and Stephen Hunter.

In the Bob Lee Swagger series I was only disappointed with "The 47th Samurai," though I haven't read the last two in the series yet. It was still entertaining but totally failed to suspend my disbelief that Bob could learn to sword-fight that well, regardless of his natural talents.
This is why I disliked The 47Th Samurai also. I do not care who you are, learning to use a Katana takes many years and many hours of practice. Learning to use it in a combat situation takes even longer. Using a Katana like they do in the movies is about as realistic as is boxing in the Rocky Movies.
I was always irritated watching the Highlander television show because they could not even hire someone to teach Adrian Paul to hold the sword properly.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:58 PM   #19
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I also had an entirely different ending in mind. Without any real spoiler -- I was thinking a JDF sniper from the takedown team nearby would have been a perfect solution.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:13 AM   #20
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why not just buy it?
I did just buy it.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2013, 12:51 AM   #21
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
I think most here like to read series in order of publication. However, I'm the oddball who wishes I'd read The Affair (book 8 or 9 of the Jack Reacher series) first.

Any of them can be read as stand-alones. As with most series, there's a lot of repetition and summarizing going on throughout the novels.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:05 AM   #22
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
The first two novels of the Kovac/Liska series are phenomenal:

Ashes to Ashes

Dust to Dust

The author, Tami Hoag, earned her reputation with romance novels, but proved she could write a murder mystery / crime thriller with the best of them. Move over James Patterson and Michael Connelly. Hoag has the writing chops to stand up to a direct comparison with anyone. Evil villain? Check. Whodunit? Check. Memorable investigators? Double check (and not the two Minnesota detectives).
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:59 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Another recommendation....

The Camel Club series by David Baldacci.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #24
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
If you like older thrillers from the '20s, '30s and '40s, then I would suggest you give Edgar Wallace a try.

Harry (a Moderator here) has assembled more than 30 of them, and they're all available here and they're all free. The formatting is always excellent.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:14 PM   #25
usuallee
Media Junkie
usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.usuallee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I don't consider this to be a thriller. It's more a mystery then anything else.
I'm really happy for you. I consider it a thriller so nana na na nana! Sheesh.
usuallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #26
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
The Day of the Jackal, Frederick Forsyth.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:59 PM   #27
Japes
Addict
Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350,Sony PRS-950,Pocketbook 360+,B&N Nook Simple Touch Reader
I would say that The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is unquestionably a thriller. There are also, obviously "mystery" elements to it, but, that's the case with many (if not most) thrillers.
Japes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:13 PM   #28
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Another recommendation....

The Camel Club series by David Baldacci.
I enjoyed those, as well as the Sean King & Michelle Maxwell series by the same author.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:01 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japes View Post
I would say that The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is unquestionably a thriller. There are also, obviously "mystery" elements to it, but, that's the case with many (if not most) thrillers.
I am questioning your logic. How did you come to the conclusion that this book is a thriller? What makes it such?

It is NOT a thriller. You may be thrilled to read it, but that doesn't make it a thriller. It is a mystery. I know some thrillers have mystery elements to them. But in this case, it's a mystery and not a thriller.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:43 PM   #30
Joshua.P
The Dark Knight
Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joshua.P ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why not just buy it?
Why not answer the question instead of saying obvious solutions they've most likely already considered?
Joshua.P is offline   Reply With Quote