Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-30-2015, 03:31 PM   #1
MaCXyLo
MaCXyLo began at the beginning.

Device: KPW2
Serial Port without damaging tablet housing

Hey Dudes,
watch this tiny bluetooth receiver for TTL:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...h+ttl&_sacat=0

Really great but also a security issue.
Maybe a alternative for some people .

Kind Regards!
MaCXyLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:01 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
How do you connect it to the Kindle? I don't think the Kindles have bluetooth.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:10 PM   #3
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
How do you connect it to the Kindle? I don't think the Kindles have bluetooth.
I believe he's suggesting connecting the BT module INTERNALLY to the Kindle's serial port pins, thereby GIVING it Bluetooth capability, as a way to make use of the serial port without needing to cut a hole through the case for wires or jacks.

I am not a hardware hacker, and have no idea if it would work or not.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:42 PM   #4
MaCXyLo
MaCXyLo began at the beginning.

Device: KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I believe he's suggesting connecting the BT module INTERNALLY to the Kindle's serial port pins, thereby GIVING it Bluetooth capability, as a way to make use of the serial port without needing to cut a hole through the case for wires or jacks.

I am not a hardware hacker, and have no idea if it would work or not.
you are completly right
i get a new kpw2 next time, so i will try if i get this to work.

progress will be posted here...
MaCXyLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:42 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaCXyLo View Post
you are completly right
i get a new kpw2 next time, so i will try if i get this to work.

progress will be posted here...
It was done and reported here several years ago - to a K4 or K5.

I think it was before we adopted the thread prefix tag system, so you will have to do some searching.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:58 PM   #6
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Like this one maybe?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...uetooth+serial
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:42 PM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
That is one which has been here longer than I have (nice find by the way).
So there must be at least one more, more recent.

But, yes, extending the serial lines over bluetooth basically "just works".
Old 03-30-2015, 09:10 PM   #8
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
Hmmm - a bluetooth keyboard would be awesome! Please show details when you get it working!
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:08 AM   #9
volkaoth
Enthusiast
volkaoth began at the beginning.

Device: KT2
nice idea,
that's a good 'haveto' for a new pw2 (if I buy one)

but all these TTL-Bluetooth-Adapters i found needed 3.3V supplylvl.

Im not sure, if its general kindle-thing, but my KT2 is running with 1.8V and I couldn't find a 3.3V lvl onboard (maybe because I haven't really searched for it so far) ...
so maybe its necessary to add a lvlshifter
volkaoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:20 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

You haven't searched enough so far.
The SoC uses both 3v3 and 1v8 supplies, so check under the shinny shields.