Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-30-2014, 02:31 AM   #31
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Week 03 -- valid 29 May ~ 04 Jun 2014 -- download here

* Note - these audiobooks are only free during the above time frame

Confessions of a Murder Suspect --> US, Canada & Philippines ONLY
Works fine for me in Denmark. As has all the other ones.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:09 AM   #32
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
Works fine for me in Denmark. As has all the other ones.
Something may be rotten in the state of Denmark. --Shakespeare
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:08 AM   #33
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Week 3 expires in a few hours (7am ET)
  • Confessions of a Murder Suspect -- James Patterson & Maxine Paetro
  • The Murder at the Vicarage -- Agatha Christie
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:31 AM   #34
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Week 04 -- valid 05~11 Jun 2014 -- download here

All Our Yesterdays --> US & Canada ONLY
  • Author: Cristin Terrill
  • Narrator: Meredith Mitchell
  • Published: 2013 / Tantor Audio
Quote:
From Cristin Terrill, a wrenching, brilliantly plotted story of fierce love, unthinkable sacrifice, and the infinite implications of our every choice. “You have to kill him.” Imprisoned in the heart of a secret military base, Em has nothing except the voice of the boy in the cell next door and the list of instructions she finds taped inside the drain. Only Em can complete the final instruction. She’s tried everything to prevent the creation of a time machine that will tear the world apart. She holds the proof: a list she has never seen before, written in her own hand. Each failed attempt in the past has led her to the same terrible present–imprisoned and tortured by a sadistic man called “the doctor” while war rages outside. Marina has loved her best friend, James, since they were children. A gorgeous, introverted science prodigy from one of America’s most famous families, James finally seems to be seeing Marina in a new way, too. But on one disastrous night, James’s life crumbles apart, and with it, Marina’s hopes for their future. Marina will protect James, no matter what. Even if it means opening her eyes to a truth so terrible that she may not survive it. At least not as the girl she once was. Em and Marina are in a race against time that only one of them can win.
Julius Caesar --> no restrictions
  • Author: William Shakespeare
  • Narrator: R Dreyfuss, K Grammer, S Keach, and a Full Cast
  • Published: 1599 / LA Theatre Works
Quote:
The skies over ancient Rome blaze with terrifying portents, and soothsayers warn Julius Caesar of approaching doom. As conspiracy swirls through the city, Shakespeare explores the deep repercussions of political murder on the human heart. A classic tale of duplicity, betrayal, and murder, masterfully performed by an all-star, all-American cast in this BBC co-production.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:36 AM   #35
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

And another restricted title. Only three more to go for the remaining nine weeks.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:51 AM   #36
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And another restricted title. Only three more to go for the remaining nine weeks.
And apparently Denmark is still located somewhere in the outskirts of Canada, because my download worked fine.

I urge people to try even if they aren't in those two specified locations, and they want the audiobook. They most likely only filter IP adresses based in major countries.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:44 AM   #37
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And apparently Denmark is still located somewhere in the outskirts of Canada, because my download worked fine.

I urge people to try even if they aren't in those two specified locations, and they want the audiobook. They most likely only filter IP adresses based in major countries.
I don't think anyone understood my use of Shakespeare's "something is rotten in the state of Denmark" and I should have explained it. The "something is rotten" is that maybe someone had hacked the Internet in Denmark (if it's even possible, I'm not that smart) to make it look like the I.P. addreses were from one of the permitted countries.

You have excellent command of the English language for someone in Denmark. Are you a native of the country?

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 06-06-2014 at 04:46 AM.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:20 PM   #38
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
As a matter of fact, Denmark is located in the outskirts of Canada

Old 06-06-2014, 02:51 PM   #39
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

I did not realize that Greenland was "an autonomous country within the Kingdom of Denmark" (Wikipedia) until spurred by that post to investigate. Actually, I had never given much thought of Greenland at all (haha) even though I am of Norwegian ancestry and the Norwegians had controlled it at one or more points in time.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:12 PM   #40
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
I did not realize that Greenland was "an autonomous country within the Kingdom of Denmark" (Wikipedia) until spurred by that post to investigate. Actually, I had never given much thought of Greenland at all (haha) even though I am of Norwegian ancestry and the Norwegians had controlled it at one or more points in time.
A Norski - but then, monkey is one too

Poor Norwegians. Nothing like being passed around between the Danes and Swedes. In the end, they lost control of Greenland, Iceland, and the Faroe Islands.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:40 PM   #41
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
A Norski - but then, monkey is one too

Poor Norwegians. Nothing like being passed around between the Danes and Swedes. In the end, they lost control of Greenland, Iceland, and the Faroe Islands.
Yes, but now we've got oil.
Lots and lots of oil.
Oh, and natural gas and coal.
We'll be getting the last laugh.
Unless the other Scandinavian countries decide to get together and take it away from us.

Actually, Norwegian is just a small part of me, but it's larger than the other parts (identifiable parts, at least).
Like most Americans, I'm a mongrel.
Oh, the ancestor came from Bergen.

BTW-monkeys are not indigenous to Norway.
You should pick another name.
Maybe TubePolarBear or something.

[The piece above was written in modern day "poetry" (think Maya Angelou).]

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 06-06-2014 at 10:56 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:26 AM   #42
David Munch
Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
The "something is rotten" is that maybe someone had hacked the Internet in Denmark (if it's even possible, I'm not that smart) to make it look like the I.P. addreses were from one of the permitted countries.
You can't "hack the internet", but you can reroute your internet to appear to be present in a specific country. This has not been done though, as the downloads work fine both from my home adress and my University where I work.

Quote:
You have excellent command of the English language for someone in Denmark. Are you a native of the country?
Indeed. But I do have a PhD in molecular biology, so a high level of english capability is a good thing to have. Oh, and I played the heck out of Civilization when I was a kid, and that game really required a lot of english reading, so I learned it quite early in life. I think "You have invented the wheel!" was the first english sentence I learned..

Quote:
Ha, more true than I realized!

Quote:
Well, we seem to post way more money into those countries than we get back, so I think the norwegians won that one anyway.
That being said, the culture of Greenland is one that is quite strong in the danish community - Mostly due to christmas shows on TV. Turns out they have quite a bit of snow up there, and according to danish myths, Santa lives up there.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:04 PM   #43
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

One more personal factoid for David Munch and then I'll cease the discussion because of being off-topic. My maternal great grandfather was the one from Norway. His last name was "Erickson" (anyone who spells it "Ericksen," "Erikson," "Ericson," et al. spell it wrong! haha). My maternal grandfather was his son, so also an Erickson. So, my mother's maiden name was Erickson.

Erickson (and its incorrect spellings. haha again) are, of course, one of the most common surnames in Norway, as well as Sweden and perhaps others. Supposedly, they are all descendants of Leif Erikson (or Ericson), who was the son of Eric (or Erik) the Red. If so, they were the progenitors of a huge family!
Old 06-12-2014, 12:39 PM   #44
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Week 05 -- valid 12~18 Jun 2014 -- download here

Code Name Verity --> no restrictions
  • Author: Elizabeth Wein
  • Narrator: Morven Christie & Lucy Gaskell
  • Published: 2012 / Bolinda Audio
Quote:
Oct. 11, 1943–A British spy plane crashes in Nazi-occupied France. Its pilot and passenger are best friends. One of the girls has a shot at survival. The other has lost the game before it’s barely begun. When “Verity” is arrested by the Gestapo, she’s sure she doesn’t stand a chance. As a secret agent captured in enemy territory, she’s living a spy’s worst nightmare. Her Nazi interrogators give her a simple choice: reveal her mission or face a grisly execution. They’ll get the truth out of her. But it won’t be what they expect. As she intricately weaves her confession, Verity uncovers her past, how she became friends with the pilot Maddie, and why she left Maddie in the wrecked fuselage of their plane. On each new scrap of paper, Verity battles for her life, confronting her views on courage, failure, and her desperate hope to make it home. But will trading her secrets be enough to save her from a merciless and ruthless enemy? Harrowing and beautifully written, Code Name Verity is the story of an unforgettable friendship forged in the face of the ultimate evil.
The Hiding Place --> no restrictions
  • Author: C t Boom, J Sherrill, E Sherrill
  • Narrator: Bernadette Dunne
  • Published: 1971 / Christian Audio
Quote:
The amazing story of Corrie ten Boom, a heroine of the Dutch Resistance who helped Jews escape from the Nazis and became one of the most remarkable evangelists of the 20th century, is told in her classic memoir, now retold for a new generation.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:18 AM   #45
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Week 06 -- valid 19~25 Jun 2014 -- download here

I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You --> US & Canada ONLY
  • Author: Ally Carter
  • Narrator: Renee Raudman
  • Published: 2006 / Brilliance Audio
Quote:
The Gallagher Academy for Exceptional Young Women is a fairly typical all-girls school–that is, it would be if every school taught advanced martial arts in PE and the latest in chemical warfare in science, and students received extra credit for breaking CIA codes in computer class. The Gallagher Academy might claim to be a school for geniuses, but it’s really a school for spies.

Cammie Morgan is a second-generation Gallagher Girl, and by her sophomore year she’s already fluent in fourteen languages and capable of killing a man in seven different ways (one of which involves a piece of uncooked spaghetti). But the one thing the Gallagher Academy hasn’t prepared her for is what to do when she falls for a boy who thinks she’s an ordinary girl.
Anne of Green Gables --> no restrictions
  • Author: LM Montgomery
  • Narrator: Colleen Winton
  • Published: 1908 / Post Hypnotic Press
Quote:
Anne, a young orphan from the fictional community of Bolingbroke, Nova Scotia (based upon the real community of New London), is sent to Prince Edward Island after a childhood spent in strangers’ homes and orphanages. Marilla and Matthew Cuthbert, siblings in their fifties and sixties, had decided to adopt a boy from the orphanage to help Matthew run their farm. They live at Green Gables, their Avonlea farmhouse on Prince Edward Island. Through a misunderstanding, the orphanage sends Anne Shirley.

Anne is described as bright and quick, eager to please, talkative, and extremely imaginative. She has a pale face with freckles and usually braids her red hair. When asked her name, Anne tells Marilla to call her Cordelia, which Marilla refuses; Anne then insists that if she is to be called Anne, it must be spelled with an e, as that spelling is “so much more distinguished.” Marilla at first says the girl must return to the orphanage, but after a few days she decides to let her stay. Marilla feels that she could be a good influence on the girl and had also overheard that another disagreeable woman in town might take Anne in instead.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 06-20-2014 at 02:20 AM.