Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-02-2014, 09:51 AM   #1
rantoie
Enthusiast
rantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of light

Device: kobo aura hd
Force updating library?

Hi,

I pushed some books onto my Aura HD with Calibre, usually this works fine. But this time, they don't show up in the library. If I open KOReader, I can browse to them through the filesystem, but I think I need to trigger a library update for them to be found in my normal list of books.

thanks
rantoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:20 AM   #2
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Usually new files are processed if you disconnect from the PC, provided nickel is running.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:07 PM   #3
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Usually new files are processed if you disconnect from the PC, provided nickel is running.
And, if they don't you can power off and power back on and they should be processed by Nickel. You should see a message on your kobo to that effect.
If all else fails, you can remove them from your device and try again. Make sure that any books you want the Kobo software to see are not behind/in a "hidden"/.name folder.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:41 PM   #4
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
And, if they don't you can power off and power back on and they should be processed by Nickel.
Are you sure?
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:16 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I do think Ken is wrong here; I've had success with files that did not get processed due to a Kobo crash on disconnect by manually "touching" the file to update the time stamp and then doing another disconnect.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:18 PM   #6
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I do think Ken is wrong here; I've had success with files that did not get processed due to a Kobo crash on disconnect by manually "touching" the file to update the time stamp and then doing another disconnect.
Hmm... How are you "touching" a file that is not showing in the Library?

It sounds like you mean that you have reconnected and are doing this on your PC. Have you ever tried a Power cycle, instead of reconnecting? Every time I have placed a recognizable file on my AuraHD, in a place that Nickel can see it and safely disconnect -Or- power cycle the kobo, Nickel does a search of the device and the external SD card and will process anything new it encounters.

Luck;
Ken
Old 02-02-2014, 03:48 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Ken as I said this was done on the rare, occasion that Kobo did not disconnect cleanly or beta code had crashed during the connection.

Either case a power cycle or a connect / disconnect cycle would not force a rescan, whereas a connect followed by a manual "touch" of the ePubs that had not been processed, ensurednthe Kobo saw the files and processed them.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:08 PM   #8
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Ken as I said this was done on the rare, occasion that Kobo did not disconnect cleanly or beta code had crashed during the connection.

Either case a power cycle or a connect / disconnect cycle would not force a rescan, whereas a connect followed by a manual "touch" of the ePubs that had not been processed, ensurednthe Kobo saw the files and processed them.
Well, as you say this is a rare situation, so having more fix options is always of value. While it is even rarer for me as I don't let Nickel process my e-books, I do deal with it upon occasion when dealing with "Launching" .png files. It is critical that those be processed by Nickel for launching programs using Sergey's fmon program.

Luck;
Ken

Your approach might be especially useful after a FW update, thanks.

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 02-02-2014 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:31 PM   #9
rantoie
Enthusiast
rantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of lightrantoie is a glorious beacon of light

Device: kobo aura hd
Yep, it looks like PeterT is correct. I likely did an incorrect eject recently because I was following Ken's nice tutorial to get KOreader installed, there are a number of eject/power steps there and I likely screwed up one of them.

Anyways, I just connected the device to my machine, mounted the partition, and touched all the files (using linux 'touch' command which simply updates the file timestamps), and then ejected properly and then the reader did a rescan and found the books.
rantoie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, library, sideload