Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-21-2008, 05:55 PM   #1
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
.chm support?

You think it would be beneficial if a reader has .chm (compiled HTML Help file) support?
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:05 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
You think it would be beneficial if a reader has .chm (compiled HTML Help file) support?
Certainly, particularly if the index, toc functions were supported. There are lots of manuals and reference documents available in this format. There would be more if devices started supporting it.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:08 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The Hanlin and the iLiad have CHM support. In the case of the iLiad, this is via FBReader and a limitation of FBReader is that it reads the entire ebook into memory on startup. Many CHM's are very large and on the iLiad FBReader will freeze on CHMs above perhaps 5 MB. I don't know if the Hanlin has the same issue with file size or not.

Windows MobiPocket Reader will import a CHM and export a MOBI, but it does not always work well (or at all).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:31 PM   #4
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Interesting...
I have a few .chm files on mypc;the layout and formatting don't seem to differ a lot with html,so you think it can be reformatted?

the downside might be that most .chm files I have range from 1 to 60MB in size; indeed rather large...

Perhaps it would be nice to have zipped .chm file support, but that may be dreaming too far in the future...
Though .zipped or .rar'ed ebooks should become more and more common. It would really be awesome if an ebook reader could support that.

Thanks for the mention of the Hanlin;I didn't know this reader supported this format!
Old 10-21-2008, 10:21 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Since I've seen you mention your desire for zipped ebook file formats in several threads now, just a note: All major ebook formats employ compression. A few, epub and lrf in particular, use the actual zip algorithm for their compression.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:20 AM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Since I've seen you mention your desire for zipped ebook file formats in several threads now, just a note: All major ebook formats employ compression. A few, epub and lrf in particular, use the actual zip algorithm for their compression.
Exactly and CHM means compressed html

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:02 AM   #7
ProDigit
Karmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Exactly and CHM means compressed html

Dale
Indeed...
Just tried to compress a chm, and I got 99% on zip, and 98% on RAR.
Wonderful format for e-ink screens, since it's not based on papersize like .pdf.

I also noticed the layout would go well with 800x600 screens!

shigh.. Come on Sony! Add chm to the support list pretty please
Old 10-22-2008, 09:26 AM   #8
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
You'd be better off asking kovidgoyal to support chm's in calibre instead..
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Indeed...
Just tried to compress a chm, and I got 99% on zip, and 98% on RAR.
Wonderful format for e-ink screens, since it's not based on papersize like .pdf.

I also noticed the layout would go well with 800x600 screens!

shigh.. Come on Sony! Add chm to the support list pretty please
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:26 PM   #9
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Someone showed to me command line command of how to extract chm to many HTML files and I forgot it
Anyone, please?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:35 PM   #10
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Nevermind, I found it
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:43 PM   #11
ProDigit
Karmaniac

That's also one of the bad things with HTML books that they consist of just too many files spread everywhere.
(Not the archived htmls like .mht files).
There's the index, and the chapterpages, then there's the gif and jpg directories...
Old 11-01-2008, 06:21 AM   #12
hpkeong
Heavy eBook User
hpkeong began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V8, V3, Fujitsu Tablet PC, EEE PC
Hi

Hanlin V3 supports chm with no differences from other formats like LIT, PRC, Mobi, TXT, HTML......if you are not sure, I can test it out for me by sending me your file and I will send pictures for you. I am a Hanlin agent in Malaysia. I do have customer from Jakarta where they send me different formats to test out for them...I wish this is good service to user who has no way to test out as most of the ebookreaders are sold over net...no way a user can "test" it out...WE CAN DO THAT!

Do email me at hpkeong@streamyx.com

Hong

Cheers

Hong
hpkeong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chm, html, support