Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #811
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Got an email today that says Overdrive will be getting Hachette ebooks in stock this week.
Awesome!!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:42 PM   #812
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
We just got the redesigned Overdrive website at my local library last week. At the moment I'm not a fan as I have to look up fiction and non-fiction books separately to what’s been added. But that is just me being overly lazy.

The other library from the next town over has 3M and I must say Overdrive is much more user friendly.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:50 PM   #813
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Got an email today that says Overdrive will be getting Hachette ebooks in stock this week.
Very nice!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:13 PM   #814
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
@#&$@)#(*$&!!! I did it again - accidentally downloaded an open epub book that can't be returned early. I've been trying really hard to remember to look at the format before selecting a book, but I was tired and forgot to check.

I wish Overdrive would implement some kind of warning in big red print or something for items that can't be returned early.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:50 PM   #815
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
@#&$@)#(*$&!!! I did it again - accidentally downloaded an open epub book that can't be returned early. I've been trying really hard to remember to look at the format before selecting a book, but I was tired and forgot to check.

I wish Overdrive would implement some kind of warning in big red print or something for items that can't be returned early.
Maybe...

Try this...

Import that ePub into ADE and then try to return it early.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #816
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Maybe...

Try this...

I use the Sony Reader for PC software. I haven't ever tried to use ADE. Would that be easy to do? I'll probably just end up waiting for the book to expire and try to pay more attention next time.

I guess I mostly just wanted to get this into this discussion in case Mike from Overdrive ever comes back.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:19 PM   #817
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I use the Sony Reader for PC software. I haven't ever tried to use ADE. Would that be easy to do? I'll probably just end up waiting for the book to expire and try to pay more attention next time.

I guess I mostly just wanted to get this into this discussion in case Mike from Overdrive ever comes back.
The Sony software has ADE embedded in it. There's generally no advantage to loading both, but if you do, they will share the same key (which is important if you strip DRM). The only cases I've found to have both installed are:
  • Sites that don't allow you to download the ACSM directly and use the ADE browser plugin (seem to be less common these days).
  • OpenLibrary.org does not seem to work with the Sony software. The ACSM loads in the Sony software, but the book will not download. I had to load ADE 2.0 to use it. I reported the issue and they were as baffled as I was.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:56 PM   #818
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Maybe...

Try this...

Wont work. Open Epub is DRM free. You can't return them early once they are downloaded.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:06 AM   #819
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Ooh, found the return of the "# of books" displaying on book in the Holds list today in at least one of my digital libraries. This was something I *really* missed since the redesign to the "last next generation" layout.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:16 AM   #820
Labarum
Enthusiast
Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I tried the new look eBook centre at my Public Library sight which updated today. I went in on my Nexus 7 which has just updated to Android 4.3

Navigation is a pain. More . . . More . . . More. The category folder structure needs to be flatter. It would help if graphics could be turned off so those who choose could see just a boring database which displayed maximum data per screen.

All by the by. The killer is that the Overdrive reader permanently displays the banner across the top of the screen hiding the first two lines of each page. Has anyone else seen this? Is it an Overdrive or an Android bug, or is there a switch I have not found?
Labarum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:22 PM   #821
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labarum View Post
All by the by. The killer is that the Overdrive reader permanently displays the banner across the top of the screen hiding the first two lines of each page. Has anyone else seen this? Is it an Overdrive or an Android bug, or is there a switch I have not found?
Overdrive just updated the Android app with the following bug fix:

New in v2.6.6
Fixed bug on devices running Android 4.3 that caused the menu bar to remain on the screen in full-screen reading mode.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:18 PM   #822
Labarum
Enthusiast
Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Labarum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

[QUOTE=hwlester;2583741]Overdrive just updated the Android app with the following bug fix . . .

Thanks. It wasn't me then. I'll try again, thou I have been happily reading using Overdrive Read on my Chromebook. I use full screen mode and sometimes rotate the screen into portrait mode for the big book look.

Where are the best places to see technical detail and advice?
Old 08-01-2013, 05:23 PM   #823
Labarum
Enthusiast

I see it here

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d.mediaconsole
Old 08-03-2013, 11:45 PM   #824
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
I've borrowed my first ebook on the new Overdrive format adopted by my public library.

This is the info that I get re what type of format the book is available in:

' Click here to view eBook details for The Boy in the Suitcase by Lene Kaaberbol

Format and availability for The Boy in the Suitcase
Lene Kaaberbol
Download(EPUB eBook)
OverDrive ReadRead(In your browser)
Expires : Aug 23, 2013 7:23AM '

Because my library has very few ebook offerings (as opposed to paper book) I don't often borrow them, hence the overdrive screen differs from usage to usage.

What I'm unsure about is the DRM status of this book - and please bear in mind that I don't want to keep the book, just borrow it and return it in the normal manner.

First off I downloaded it via the overdrive app on my Blackberry Playbook - but the pages (chapters perhaps?) seem to be cached and every chapter requires a new cache which may take up to say 45 seconds. And this is a book with a number of chapters (in the ebook format anyway). So reading it on the playbook became a pain. (I've not previously had problems reading overdrive books via my library on the Playbook, so this is strange!)

I then downloaded the book from my library site into my Sony Reader for PC (successfully) and then imported it into Calibre and onto my Kobo Glo - all without any hitch and complete ease.

So now I am able to read the library ebook without waiting for a cache - it's all there.

My query is, how does the book get auto deleted now at the expiration of the lending period?

It's gone from my library overdrive account to my Sony reader for PC to Calibre to Kobo Glo.

I guess that it will expire at the appropriate time on both my Playbook and Sony Reader for PC, but what about the Calibre and Glo versions?

Is this an unintended quirk?

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 08-03-2013 at 11:49 PM.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:51 PM   #825
hwlester
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
My query is, how does the book get auto deleted now at the expiration of the lending period?
An expiration date is part of the Adobe Digital Editions spec. The book won't actually be deleted at the end of the end of the checkout period, but the reader will know that your license to view it has expired and will refuse to allow you to read it.