Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 08-23-2012, 11:53 AM   #76
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I thought it was decided that nominations are each individual forumers responsibility and the nomination process (seconded and then passed) as well as the vote should eliminate any dubious suggestions.

I could nominate The Bible for the humour month, but I doubt that would go over well. It's also a romance, potentially non-fiction, potentially science fiction, maybe fantasy, a bit of horror, thriller and most definitely fits the open and classics months.
Fantasy maybe, by science fiction, no way.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:58 AM   #77
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Jon, I didn't think your other nomination fit but I allowed it. As HIMS suggested, let the voting booth decide what is or isn't suitable for non-fiction. Saves a lot of needless debate.
Sh*t My Dad Says is non-fiction. May not be of the same literary quality as most of the others nominated, but it does fit the theme for the month. Now if it was fiction, then it would deserve to be removed from the nomination process.

The hardest category to figure out if a book fits is classics. There are a lot of classics that are not old and the author is not dead. Even comic books have classics.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:02 PM   #78
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Fantasy maybe, by science fiction, no way.
Didn't you learn anything from Erich Von Daniken? In The Chariots of the Gods, he explained that Ezekiel's wheels within wheels were actually flying saucers.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:05 PM   #79
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sh*t My Dad Says is non-fiction. May not be of the same literary quality as most of the others nominated, but it does fit the theme for the month. Now if it was fiction, then it would deserve to be removed from the nomination process.

The hardest category to figure out if a book fits is classics. There are a lot of classics that are not old and the author is not dead. Even comic books have classics.
Jon, if Sh*t My Dad Says wins, I'll read it. Heck, it's already on my TBR list.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:22 PM   #80
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Jon, I didn't think your other nomination fit but I allowed it...
I think Sh*t My Dad Says fits the category of Non-Fiction.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:23 PM   #81
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Jon, if Sh*t My Dad Says wins, I'll read it. Heck, it's already on my TBR list.
I pulled it from my TBR pile as well.

Actually, if you don't mind, I could take back that Bible nomination and put in place a more appropriate book. My Life in France by Julia Child would be a better nomination.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:39 PM   #82
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd like to nominate two books:

1. A Thousand Miles Up the Nile by Amelia Edwards. An excellent Victorian travelogue of a journey through Egypt in the mid 19th century. Amelia Edwards is the real person on whom Elizabeth Peters' "Amelia Peabody" is based.

2. A Night to Remember by Walter Lord. The classic first-hand account of the sinking of the Titanic.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:41 PM   #83
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
1. A Thousand Miles Up the Nile by Amelia Edwards. An excellent Victorian travelogue of a journey through Egypt in the mid 19th century. Amelia Edwards is the real person on whom Elizabeth Peters' "Amelia Peabody" is based.
Seconded
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:56 PM   #84
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I think Sh*t My Dad Says fits the category of Non-Fiction.
Hey! That... That... That opinion differs from mine! What right have you to express it?

Quote:
I pulled it from my TBR pile as well.

Actually, if you don't mind, I could take back that Bible nomination and put in place a more appropriate book. My Life in France by Julia Child would be a better nomination.
Done, since there's been no seconds. I'll put My Life in France up shortly.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:16 PM   #85
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Everyone please check to make sure your nominations and seconds are listed in the second post of this thread. If they aren't, please let me know. Every few years I make a mistake.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:28 PM   #86
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Done, since there's been no seconds. I'll put My Life in France up shortly.
Thanks. Given that it would have been Julia Child's 100th birthday this year, I think it's very appropriate and should win.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:48 PM   #87
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

She had a very interesting life; from spy to world-renown chef. That's another one I'd like to read.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:03 PM   #88
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
She had a very interesting life; from spy to world-renown chef. That's another one I'd like to read.
And she lived in Cambridge, MA while she was on PBS.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:18 PM   #89
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
I'll second
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:30 PM   #90
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Someone who lived the life she did surely deserves a better way to be remembered than this, but I can't help it. This is indelibly burned in my memory.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/3523