Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-04-2008, 08:07 PM   #1
misterkim
misterkim began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
CJK Support, Sony VS Hanlin

So after hours or searching and reading through forums, I think that the Hanlin eReader V3 is probably going to be my best bet. I hate that I cant just goto the local store and pick one up, like I could with the Sony PRS-505. Oh well...

The main reason why I'm leaning towards the eReader V3 over the others is that there is native Korean, Chinese, and Japanese support. I need to have ability to open documents in these languages from time to time, and as far as I know, the only other one I can see is the sony + hacks. And even then I dont think I can get chinese and korean at the same time, etc.

I was wondering if anyone can confirm what I know by either seconding my choice on the hanlin v3, or point me to another source.

Are Hanlin's products reliable? What if I need service? Will it work ok with Mac OS X? Also, where can I get one? I tried looking on the site but I guess you cant order straight from them.

Thank you all for your help!
misterkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 05:36 AM   #2
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterkim View Post
I was wondering if anyone can confirm what I know by either seconding my choice on the hanlin v3, or point me to another source.
The Far East seems to have a far greater variety of e-book readers than the West, but yes, I think that the Hanlin V3 is probably your best bet overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterkim View Post
Are Hanlin's products reliable? What if I need service? Will it work ok with Mac OS X? Also, where can I get one? I tried looking on the site but I guess you cant order straight from them.
The hardware seems to be robust so far. I occasionally get hangs and crashes when reading books, making it advisable to have a paper clip on hand to reset the device when needed, but other than that, I haven't seen anything indicating reliability issues. It should work with MacOS X just fine, as it presents itself simply as a USB mass storage device.

As to service and where to buy one - where do you live? There are several retailers in the EU, e.g. apolloxxi.com or iscriptum.eu. I'm not aware of retailers in the US or Canada, though. So if you live outside the EU, your best bet may very well be ordering directly from them, even though that is a rather complex procedure involving an international bank transfer to China, among other things.
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert