Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-28-2009, 08:43 PM   #1
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Kindle 2 heralds return to crashes

When I first got my Kindle 1 it would crash every so often when reading books. Then 1.0.4 came out and I never saw another crash. (then the poor thing tried to upgrade itself to 1.2 and died in the process, since replaced by Amazon)

Now I've had my Kindle 2 a few days and I've already had my first crash (while reading Use of Weapons) so I'm guessing the old adage about never buying revision 1.0 of anything still applies.

I wasn't using anything fancy at the time of the crash, just flipping along and then it froze and went back to the home screen. Re-opening the same book took me back to precisely where I'd been the last time I opened it.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:27 AM   #2
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
I've had around 3 lock ups so far. Everything just froze. Turning off and back on via the 15 second slide of the power switch brought everything back.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2009, 12:23 PM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
You should call Amazon and see what they have to say about it. Seems to be numerous people having the same issue
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:21 PM   #4
Linda
Enthusiast
Linda began at the beginning.

Device: N/A
Lots of problems

I got the Kindle on Friday. It seems to have a lot of problems. It freezes consistently - no matter what I am doing. I called Amazon - after rebooting it worked for awhile and then freezes when I am reading. Is anyone else having this problem? I know if you hold the start key in the on position for about 15 seconds that it reboots. The woman from Amazon also got to a screen where you could start all over again - put the Kindle back to its original defaults. I cannot seem to find that screen again. Help!! I wonder if I should recall Amazon.
Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:35 PM   #5
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda View Post
The woman from Amazon also got to a screen where you could start all over again - put the Kindle back to its original defaults. I cannot seem to find that screen again. Help!! I wonder if I should recall Amazon.
While you're on the Home Page, press Menu, 5-way to Settings, when you're on the Settings page, press Menu again and that will give you the option of putting the Kindle back to its original defaults.

Jim
Strether is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2009, 03:19 PM   #6
Linda
Enthusiast
Linda began at the beginning.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
While you're on the Home Page, press Menu, 5-way to Settings, when you're on the Settings page, press Menu again and that will give you the option of putting the Kindle back to its original defaults.

Jim

Thank you. I hope I don't have to do that very often.
Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:28 PM   #7
caplanjr
caplanjr
caplanjr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Mine froze today in the middle of Use of Weapons as well. I finally got it to reboot.
Some questions:
1) Anyone else bothered by the extremely short battery life before recharging is necessary?
2) Has anyone else noticed that the screen contrast is much worse than when it came out of the box? (Either that or my eyes are going <grin>)
Jim
caplanjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:57 PM   #8
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
If you've put a number of books on your Kindle it will spend a lot of time indexing the books and that eats up the battery. Also, leaving the wireless on uses the battery faster. Before I loaded up mine with 2000 books (sort of a stress test) the battery stayed charged for close to 5 days with intermittent use of the wireless.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:11 AM   #9
Bookjunkie
Crackhouse=Bookstore
Bookjunkie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Is anyone having this problem with the battery? And should I call amazon for this:

After fully charging my K2, the wireless is off and the K2 is off. Two days later - after not having turned it on to read, even once - the battery is critically low and must be recharged.

I have about 50 books on there. No wireless turned on and it was turned off with a full charge. Has anyone else experienced this?
Bookjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:18 PM   #10
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
See if that is a pattern (battery runs down with no usage) or a one-time thing. When you first put the books on, it has to index them, so you can do "search" on all sorts of weird words. Also, the first charge is said to require an overnight charge, even if the light has already turned green.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:53 PM   #11
Bookjunkie
Crackhouse=Bookstore
Bookjunkie began at the beginning.

Thanks for the reply badgoodDeb. It's been charged several times, including overnight, but I will pay attention and see if it occurs again. It's entirely possible my 10 year old son may have been using it.

He, too, is a book fiend and I made the mistake of showing it to him and how it works when it first came in. He was reading some of my classics on it in the dentist's waiting room a week or two ago. He knows it was in my "take-to-work" bag and may have been reading on he sly. I catch him up at 2:00 and 3:00 a.m. reading. I was the same way, so I can't complain. At least it's books and not TV!

I may be able to put it to some timed usage too.

Thanks again!
Bookjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:32 PM   #12
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Ah-HAH!! Well, train 'em up right, and all that. Books are a good thing to be addicted to. Ask anybody on this web site!!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:43 PM   #13
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

I have not seen any crashes at all. The only issue that I saw was associated with the 2.0.1 download and install. My screen flashed a couple times and I didn't know what it was doing until I checked the settings page.

As for the battery:

I have charged my K2 twice since getting it on the 26th. The first time right out of the box and then I used my K2 every day, using the wireless to download and occasionally browse the web to show friends and family. My next charge came on the 6th after I received a low battery notice. I charged overnight and once again have used it every day with wireless used to download only. It is now the 12th and I would estimate that I have a little over 2/3 charge left.

I have been keeping a pretty good track on the battery life since it seemed to be an issue for the K1's.

Overall, I am more than satisfied with the battery life. I figure I could go 2 weeks on a charge if I was mainly reading and limiting my wireless time.

I plan on keeping track for the next month or so for a good baseline for comparison in the future.
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:38 PM   #14
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
I figured out what's killing my battery is the wireless. 36 hours max with wireless on. Turn it off and I've gotten over a week.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:43 PM   #15
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
Ive read about 8 books since I got my k2, not one crash or lock up.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote