Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-14-2024, 01:14 AM   #1
gonzule
before sleep, read or TV?
gonzule began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Guidance on where to start programming weather dashboard for Kobo

Hi! I'm trying to find some guidance on where to start to learn how to create some code or use existing one and tools for my old Kobo Aura (non-HD).

I am looking to create a weather station like this one for kindle as it contains all the information i want to have on the screen, as opposed to the other already existing Kobo weather dashboards.

That Kindle dashboard basically gets the weather data with an API and created an SVG with that data, turns it into an image and displays it on the kindle. The advantage is that it runs on the kindle itself (via python) and it has some features that put the kindle to sleep and wakes it up automatically, to save lots of battery in the process.

I was able to run the script on a computer and I can generate the updated SVG and PNG files, and now i was thinking of a few options to put that information on my kobo screen. Which one do you think would be better/efficient?

a) Create a webpage that is hosted locally on the kobo aura, that downloads the image from my computer (acting as a server) and refreshed the image every X minutes/hours
b) Host the whole python script and have it run locally on my kobo, adjusting some parameters to see if I can have the same battery optimizations
c) is there a more elegant solution that has already been implemented on Kobo to do something similar?

What would be a good starting point to get python running on my Kobo and then connecting to it to test if some of the code runs locally, and see if there are any parameters that i can use to optimize battery life?

Thanks for the guidance. I don't expect anyone to provide me the solution directly, and am of course willing to put some thinking on my end.
gonzule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 03:35 PM   #2
Szybet
Connoisseur
Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.Szybet can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo nia
1. Niluje packages could have python in them
2. inkbox recent version had python, you could retrieve it and use it
3. this qt app https://github.com/Szybet/kobo-scree...in/qt-frontend just checks if there is a file at /tmp/ss.png and then shows it. you could download the file either by using the rust program in this repo or just wget
4. Python is heavy, if you want something efficient use c++
5. You could show the image with fbink only, no python or other program needed
6. there are qt weather apps that could be runned on kobo eassly
good luck
Szybet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2024, 05:34 PM   #3
gonzule
before sleep, read or TV?
gonzule began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Thank you so much ! Those are really good pointers. I'll google and do some forum searches on ho to get things going.

Had seen fbink in another post but wasn't sure if it would be a good solution, but I'll give it a try, maybe also importing the file with wget.

Will also research a bit more about QT apps.
gonzule is offline   Reply With Quote