Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-03-2012, 03:47 PM   #16
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
It is easy I have a Nook Color. I download the book using Kindle for PC. I then run the book through Calibre to strip the DRM and convert it to Epub. Takes about 1 minute.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:03 PM   #17
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
K, I guess I don't understand why you say this.

Getting a book from Sony or other purveyors is very simple.
Sony absolutely requires using their software. Installing it generally screws up ADE and it periodically uses up all your licenses for ADE, as it keeps re-authorizing the app. So, you have to contact Adobe each time and get your license count reset (once you track down the phone number, it isn't hard, but it is a complete PITA).

You can't buy via the web, so are out of luck if at work or on a system where your app isn't installed.

Copia is also a PITA, although you can actually ignore their app (although they don't let you know it's possible) and just download your books via ADE, by backdooring the ACSM via the purchase history.

Kobo is great - unless you actually have one of their readers, which insist on trying to download all your books when you first log in; since mine won't fit in the limited memory space available, it's a pain to get it to stop and not keep retrying. Who knows if any of their add-on social media c*** is worth the effort, since it's best to just use their readers unregistered and sideload via USB. The only problem I have with Kobo is running into the book now and then that isn't an EPUB and has to be read on a VOX or their website and nothing else will work.

Any place using ADE requires download via Adobe Digital Editions, before you can then move the EPUB to your device. Some make doing so particularly difficult, with fancy flash buttons that work only maybe 75% of the time (instead of just giving you a link for the ACSM file).

Compare to Amazon - click on pulldown to pick "transfer via USB", then one-click to buy. Save file where desired.... (assuming, of course, I don't just send it to a Kindle/app to read). I can do that from any computer capable of logging in to Amazon and any device capable of saving a file (although I might not use the file there, so long as I can move it elsewhere later, it works well).

B&N also makes it easy and has one advantage - you don't have to have a device to get a book (probably increases their phone support costs, though) or a tablet to buy an app. On the other hand, they are just as proprietary as Amazon, as far as buying a closed format (assuming, of course, that Apprentice Alf isn't your friend). They are also extremely bad about dropping support for older formats/devices (try reading those ereader books you bought on anything but an original nook or an enhanced book someone it isn't supported - Amazon really did their enhanced content formats correctly, so I can read them on every Kindle in the house, even if that Kindle doesn't support the extra content; I hope the azw3 format proves equally versatile).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2012, 04:12 PM   #18
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
K, I'll take your word on all of that. I have had no problems getting books from lots of places.

The ADE books invoke Sony Reader Library.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:18 PM   #19
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
B&N also makes it easy and has one advantage - you don't have to have a device to get a book
With which stores do you need a device to get a book? Not Amazon, or Kobo, I know.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:55 PM   #20
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
With which stores do you need a device to get a book? Not Amazon, or Kobo, I know.
Sorry, it's Amazon. Kobo will let you buy a VOX book, even if you can't read it. B&N will do the same with their nookTablet/Color books that can't be read otherwise.

Amazon, though, will protect you - they won't let you buy a FIRE ONLY book (like the free kids book earlier today) if you don't have a FIRE. Same with Android Apps, if you don't have at least one device registered that is capable of using it (then again, I think google does the same, which is a royal pain). I've seen a few DX only books, way back when, and there are the various games -- if you don't have a compatible device, Amazon will not let your get the item, even if it is free. There is a work-around for the apps, which was handle before the Fire released, but none I know of on the Kindle devices for selected Kindle books.

OTOH - if there is a book that has iPad content, Amazon will let you read it, minus the bonus content, on any Kindle or app -- B&N, though, will simply refuse to let you look at it, if not on the platform they have decided is best. I haven't tried with a VOX book, but I think the only way to get to those to display is to have a VOX and sync to your account (which, as I said, is a big problem if you have a lot of books in your account, as I do).
Advert
Old 02-03-2012, 11:10 PM   #21
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Amazon, though, will protect you - they won't let you buy a FIRE ONLY book (like the free kids book earlier today) if you don't have a FIRE.
Ah. Interesting. Maybe they'll come out with a "Fire app" of some kind and it will no longer be an issue.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:36 AM   #22
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
No longer free
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:38 AM   #23
bookratt
Wizard
bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS505 & PRS600, iPad, Pandigital Novel, iPad 2
I guess I missed the freebie? Free with Amazon prime...

I do not understand why the author pulled his book from B&N and other vendors/versions to sell with Amazon exclusive, as mentioned in his blog...

Last edited by bookratt; 02-04-2012 at 02:16 AM.
bookratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 01:52 PM   #24
Alastair_S
Zealot
Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alastair_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
This book is also currently free at Kobo (where you can also download it in EPUB2 DRM-free format).

https://www.kobo.com/gb/en/ebook/bangkok-burn

Thanks Simon.
Alastair_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 01:01 AM   #25
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair_S View Post
This book is also currently free at Kobo (where you can also download it in EPUB2 DRM-free format).

https://www.kobo.com/gb/en/ebook/bangkok-burn

Thanks Simon.
And a repeat freebie at Amazon, as well.