Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-15-2009, 09:21 PM   #1
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
From a Kindle 2 buyer to a Kindle 1 user

I have a question about illustrations in books and how or if they are rendered on the Kindle.

I have pre-ordered the Kindle 2 and it will be my first E-Reader. In my mind I was thinking of just using it for the light stuff, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Thrillers... etc. My concern was how a non-fiction book with illustrations would look on an E-Reader.

For instance... I am currently reading 1491 by Charles C. Mann. Really good read and it has a number of black and while pictures and illustrations. Are all the pictures available in the Kindle version of the book?

Are there some books where the pictures are not in the Kindle version?

Just trying to justify buying non-fiction as well as fiction for the K2.
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:26 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I'm downloading a sample of the book you're reading. If the sample has images, I'll post them in regular and zoomed sizes.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2009, 09:39 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Okay, I grabbed the first image I came to (it's a long sample). The image will be much better on K2 because of the 4 vs 16 level gray scale.

I learned that the screen grab trick (alt+shift+g) does not work on zoomed images. It captures the image in it's original size, so I only have the one size to show you (without scanning my Kindle that is).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1491.gif
Views:	299
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	23680  
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:45 PM   #4
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
Ok... those are the first pictures in the book.

Exactly what I was thinking... the 16 level gray scale will look much better.

My wife has been complaining about my ever expanding book collection and I was fearful that some content would be missing from the Kindle version. I guess that is not an issue.

Thanks for the help Daffy.
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote