Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-07-2011, 03:31 PM   #1
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Free Book (iBooks) - Jolie Blon's Bounce

Jolie Blon's Bounce ($7.99 Kindle), the twelfth title in the Robicheaux series by NYT best-selling author James Lee Burke, is free in the iTunes iBooks store. Thanks to reader Marilyn for the tip on this one!

Book Description
When a beautiful teenage girl is killed, the victim of a particularly savage rape, New Iberia, Louisiana, police detective Dave Robicheaux senses from the very start of the investigation that the most likely suspect, Tee Bobby Hulin, is not the actual killer. Though a drug addict and general ne'er-do-well, Hulin just doesn't fit the profile for this kind of brutal crime.

But when another murder occurs -- this victim a drugged-out prostitute who happens to be the daughter of one of the local mafia bigwigs -- all clues once again point to Tee Bobby Hulin, and the cries for arrest become too loud to ignore. The dead girl's father, however, prefers to take matters in his own hands and sets out to find -- and punish -- the killer himself.

But before Robicheaux can solve these crimes and bring the killer or killers to justice, he is forced to battle his own inner demons, including a painkiller addiction, a habit that begins as the result of a brutal and humiliating beating he suffers at the hands of the mysterious and diabolical character known as Legion. A fixture in the area for years, Legion was once the overseer on a local sugarcane plantation and now gets by doing odd jobs. In temperament, however, he's still the malicious and malevolent bully he always was, a man defined by evil and seemingly possessed with supernatural skills of survival.

Added to the mix, and on the good guy side of the balance sheet, is Clete Purcel, a longtime buddy of Robicheaux's and a confirmed boozer and womanizer. Clete comes to New Iberia for a visit and is quickly drawn into the struggle between the various forces of evil in the town, including Jimmy Dean Styles, a black man intent on maintaining his empire of corruption; Joe Zeroski, a trailer park mafioso with palatial aspirations -- and of course, Legion Guidry, the devil incarnate, in whom Robicheaux finds himself facing a challenge and an enemy unlike any he has ever known. And soon, what began as a duel of wits has turned into a dance of death.

Click HERE to get the free book from iTunes.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:31 PM   #2
nookkatz
Tuxedo Cats!
nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks and iThings
Thank you! I've been wanting to read a Burke Robicheaux novel since I've been hearing tons of good things about them from a coworker.

And this was too cool. When I bought the book through iTunes, my iPod, which was in another room, chirped and told me I'd bought a book on my computer.
nookkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2011, 01:14 AM   #3
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Strange. I bought this one (and two more), but my iPad doesn't show them on my shelves. Guess I'll have to plug in and transfer them that way.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:59 AM   #4
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
What format are ibooks ? can you read them on a Sony reader natively or with the help of calibre and tools?
Thanks
Mel
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:22 AM   #5
koland
Grand Sorcerer

They are EPUB, but have DRM that locks them to Apple iThing devices. Can't be read on the PC or Mac, either.
Advert
Old 08-08-2011, 02:27 AM   #6
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
They are EPUB, but have DRM that locks them to Apple iThing devices. Can't be read on the PC or Mac, either.
Bummer would it be common for Amazon of B&N to price match them?
Old 08-08-2011, 02:30 AM   #7
koland
Grand Sorcerer

The three free today (yesterday, now) are from Simon and Schuster, which is an Agency publisher. They are supposed to be the same price in all stores (and I've reported them to Kindle both as a lower price and as a feedback comment on the apparent violation of the Agency agreement. Hopfully they will match (although they may simply disappear from the iBooks store).
Old 08-08-2011, 02:37 AM   #8
melmac
Wizard

Quote:
The three free today (yesterday, now) are from Simon and Schuster, which is an Agency publisher. They are supposed to be the same price in all stores (and I've reported them to Kindle both as a lower price and as a feedback comment on the apparent violation of the Agency agreement. Hopfully they will match (although they may simply disappear from the iBooks store).
Thanks Also thank you for updating all these thread, it's much appreciated I drop in multiple times a day looking for the good freebies/cheapies
Old 08-08-2011, 10:22 AM   #9
nookkatz
Tuxedo Cats!
nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks and iThings
Quote:
Strange. I bought this one (and two more), but my iPad doesn't show them on my shelves. Guess I'll have to plug in and transfer them that way.
On my iPod Touch, I had to open iBooks, then go to the "Purchased" link. That showed the new book with a link to download it to the device. I don't yet have an iPad, but perhaps it works the same way.
nookkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:30 PM   #10
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Smile Whoooo !

Wot a bargain !

I'm a confirmed JLB fanatic, as some will know, and you should now dedicate your selves to studiously obtaining and perusing the whole canon.

You will be glad.

Start with "Neon Rain" - after you've grabbed the freebie, of course.....
[They all are good stand-alone reads, but he really gets under your skin when you read 'em in order !]

Hope Robicheaux gives you as much pleasure as he has to me - well, anything by the great James Lee Burke come to that.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:51 PM   #11
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Could be.... I just moved them to dropbox and opened from there. worked like a charm!