Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-15-2009, 06:53 PM   #1
ezjim
ezjim began at the beginning.

Device: astak EZReader PocketPro 5
Start ok, close but will not run again

A weird thing is happening on my Macbook Pro running OSX10.5.8.
I copy Calibre from the DMG to the application folder. I run from the applications folder and it runs fine. I quit Calibre (all icons disappear). Some time later I try to run Calibre again - nothing happens. There is no "calibre" process I can find running (ps -ef | grep Calibre). Calibre will however run ok from the DMG folder or will run again after a systm reboot (last resort). This has happened in the last three releases of Calibre. Although there is a workaround (running from the DMG file) it is very annoying. Any suggestions?
ezjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:06 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Are you sure you're quitting calibre, it will remain running in the statusbar (in the top right region of your screen in the menubar)
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2009, 09:49 AM   #3
Sharone
Enthusiast
Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle (3) Keyboard
hi kovid

same thing's happening to me, and no it's not still running in the statusbar. Restarting however does not seem to be working for me.

Macbook Pro running OSX10.5.8
Sharone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:47 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can workaround it by launching from a Terminal (if you have installed the calibre command line tools). Open Terminal.app and type calibre and press enter.

Otherwise you will have to type

/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/loaders/calibre
Old 12-19-2009, 11:33 PM   #5
Sharone
Enthusiast
Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi kovid, thanks for that.

I have not installed the command line tools. Typed "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/loaders/calibre" into a Terminal. Calibre started up ok, but there are 2 error lines in the Terminal after bootup:

link hasn't been detected!
link hasn't been detected!

Hope this helps you figure out what the issue is.

Thanks again
Advert
Old 12-19-2009, 11:42 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I'm working on a fix, it's made more difficult because I can't reproduce this problem in my OS X machine. Do you know if there's something different about your OS X?
Old 12-20-2009, 12:21 AM   #7
Sharone
Enthusiast

nope nothing i can think of.

well, i've got a dual boot system, with winxp installed on an NTFS partition and my library is on my third partition (FAT32). But i'm running Calibre from OS X only
Old 12-21-2009, 01:53 AM   #8
ezjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Are you sure you're quitting calibre, it will remain running in the statusbar (in the top right region of your screen in the menubar)
Sorry late response. Yes I did make sure the service was closed - did a ps -ef from the console as well as visual confirmation in the top bar.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:57 AM   #9
ezjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharone View Post
nope nothing i can think of.

well, i've got a dual boot system, with winxp installed on an NTFS partition and my library is on my third partition (FAT32). But i'm running Calibre from OS X only
My system is vanila OSX 10.5.8 and is up to date. I do generally run Fusion and a winxp virtual machine in full screen mode (not unity) in the background. Calibre is running in the OSX environment.

Will try the command line option as well.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:05 AM   #10
ezjim

0.6.29 seems to have fixed this. I am able to shut it down and restart it without using the CLI
Old 12-21-2009, 07:02 AM   #11
Sharone
Enthusiast

fixed for me too... thanks kovid
Old 12-21-2009, 09:45 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Hmm I haven't actually made any changes in 0.6.29 to fix this. But I'm glad it's working
Old 12-21-2009, 03:17 PM   #13
jrd4849
jrd4849 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Touch
FWIW the same thing happened to me today using 0.6.29 on OSX 10.5.8. Same circumstances as above but rebooting didn't fix. I downloaded a fresh copy and reinstalled and was able to start the program several times in succession with no obvious problems.

From the log:
[0x0-0x14014].net.kovidgoyal.calibre[156] Unknown option: -p
[0x0-0x14014].net.kovidgoyal.calibre[156] usage: /Applications/calibre.app/Contents/MacOS/python [option] ... [-c cmd | -m mod | file | -] [arg] ...
[0x0-0x14014].net.kovidgoyal.calibre[156] Try `python -h' for more information.
com.apple.launchd[66] ([0x0-0x14014].net.kovidgoyal.calibre[156]) Exited with exit code: 2
jrd4849 is offline   Reply With Quote