Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #1
dwesty
dwesty is a marvel to beholddwesty is a marvel to beholddwesty is a marvel to beholddwesty is a marvel to beholddwesty is a marvel to beholddwesty is a marvel to beholddwesty is a marvel to beholddwesty is a marvel to beholddwesty is a marvel to beholddwesty is a marvel to beholddwesty is a marvel to behold

Device: Bebook One (original, not 2010)
How do I put Author folders in my Kobo Mini?

My BeBook broke and I have finally replaced it with a Kobo Mini.

Fortunately, I had all my books backed up on the PC, arranged in folders by author name- for example, I have a Stephen King folder with 12 books in etc.

Having dropped the folders in to the Kobo Mini it appears that the books are in but the folders have disappeared meaning I have all my books loose and unsorted.

It surely must be possible to organise my books into folders- at least I bloody hope so!

Any help out there?
dwesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:55 PM   #2
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Kobo doesn't use a folder structure on the hard disk. They use a database that holds metadata, including author.

Your best bet is to look in the Sticky section of the forum and use Calibre to set up shelves for you.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwesty View Post

Fortunately, I had all my books backed up on the PC, arranged in folders by author name- for example, I have a Stephen King folder with 12 books in etc.

Having dropped the folders in to the Kobo Mini it appears that the books are in but the folders have disappeared meaning I have all my books loose and unsorted.

It surely must be possible to organise my books into folders- at least I bloody hope so!

Any help out there?
Directory structures are not used by Kobo. Their equivalent is shelves. You can create shelves and add books to them on the Kobo itself by tapping on the Library icon, then on shelves. Tap on the triple bar icon at the end of the Sort: Shelf Name line to add a new shelf. Once you have the shelf created, you can select the shelf and then add books to it. A bit of a pain at the best of times.

The easiest way to handle shelves is using a program called Calibre which can with a bit of setup automatically generate your shelves for you.

A couple of alternatives, are that you can sort the library view by author or you can use the search function.

I prefer not to use shelves and use the search function instead.You can search on title, author or series information -- from the home screen, tap on search, select library and then start typing your search term. From the library screen, you can tap at the top of the screen (pretty much where it says Library) and bring up the search bar from there.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:22 PM   #4
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:

Any help out there?
the two answers cover everything already - let me only add that, as a former Pocketbook user used to folders arranged by authors, the switch to shelves when moving to a Mini has been painless, so best of luck to you!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:43 AM   #5
dwesty
dwesty is a marvel to beholddwesty is a marvel to beholddwesty is a marvel to beholddwesty is a marvel to beholddwesty is a marvel to beholddwesty is a marvel to beholddwesty is a marvel to beholddwesty is a marvel to beholddwesty is a marvel to beholddwesty is a marvel to beholddwesty is a marvel to behold

Device: Bebook One (original, not 2010)
Thanks for the help folks, but I think I'll be immediately selling this brand new Kobo Mini and hunting around for a second hand BeBook. I've emailed them (see below) but looking around on the internet it appears their support is pretty nonexistant. I phoned their helpline and got through to Scottish Power!

Hi Kobo,

I've just bought a new Kobo Mini to replace my broken BeBook One.

All my books were organised (by author's name) into folders on my SD card (a few hundred books). I also had a folder for recently read books and one for books earmarked for reading soon etc.

I transferred the folders into the Kobo and found to my horror that the folders are not displayed, so every single book is in one giant folder.

If a folder support option cannot be worked out with your firmware very soon, I am going to have to sell it and buy another BeBook.

I am not interested in putting ebooks on pretend 'shelves'. Shelves are for real books. I want the freedom to organise my documents in the only sensible way- personalised folders.

Would you buy a computer that didn't give the option to put documents into folders? It's ridiculous.

Please reply soon.
dwesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2013, 10:02 AM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@Dwesty: Have you looked at using calibre to manage the material on your device?

The Kobo's DO support shelves / collections, and these are very easily managed via calibre. See this thread for detailed instructions on enabling this within calibre, this for support on calibre itself, and finally this for downloads of calibre.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:04 AM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Finally if you want to just use the folders on the device to browse / select, you might like to look at Koreader running on Kobos (all of them, hopefully!), where among other features, it has a browser to browse through the file system you have designed, and use it to locate material.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:07 AM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Additionally, you are somewhat naive if you expect a reply from Kobo (or any manufacturer) that is more than just a canned, support response.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:09 AM   #9
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
You could try Giorgio's Koreader port, or Sergey's CoolReader port, both use the folder structure we are used to. I am using Koreader for my large collection arranged like you described on my external uSD card, and am increasingly pleased with it on my AuraHD. I have seen posts where Mini users are also able to use it. You can put your existing folders into a hidden folder, and avoid Kobo's lengthy and finicky processing.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...82&postcount=3

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 09-24-2013 at 10:17 AM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:27 AM   #10
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
I am not interested in putting ebooks on pretend 'shelves'. Shelves are for real books.
And folders are for real paper documents. Both are metaphors when we're in the digital realm. It's just that one ("shelves"/"collections") can be more flexible than the other ("folders").

But I get that the changeover, or the hacking, takes time and effort. Sell it and re-buy something you've researched, if you're not wanting that.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo mini folders