Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-30-2010, 11:23 PM   #1
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Lois McMaster Bujold

She is a highly regarded sci fi author, whom I've never yet had the pleasure of reading. However, if you are interested, one of her newest books, along with the 7 books that precede it in the series, is available for free from Baen: http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/2...CD/CryoburnCD/

This is not a pirate site. It is a site, with permission, that hosts the CD's that Baen releases with each new hard back book. From the cd: "What’s the catch? This disk and its contents may be copied and shared, but NOT sold. All commercial rights are reserved. That’s it."

Perhaps you want to dip your toe into the genre that is science fiction -- or try out a new author if you are already a devotee.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:12 PM   #2
natasha_fawn
Evangelist
natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-950 (finally!)
I've read most of her books, and quite enjoyed them. I found her non-Vorkosigan books to be a bit predictable, though certainly fun and well-written. The Vorkosigan books are really good, though I wouldn't recommend reading them all in one stretch like I did, heh.
natasha_fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 02:13 PM   #3
Kiwimick
Addict
Kiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five wordsKiwimick can name that ebook in five words

Device: Sony PRS650
Thanks Lee
I have seen people mentioning her and I have started to read SF (normally a Fantasy man) so will give it a try
Kiwimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:55 PM   #4
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
I'm sure some of the other Bujold fans will eventually speak up, but thanks to earlier discussions I've been working my way through the Vorkosigan saga. Paid for some and picked up some from the Fifth Imperium. Well written, sometimes humorous military SF.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:52 PM   #5
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
That zip file is included if you buy her new Hardback novel called Cryoburn. (It's on my Christmass list but I have already downloaded the cd.)

She has another series called "The Sharing Knife" which is a bit of a romantic/SciFi, but I buy them all because I have enjoyed the Miles novels so much.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 11:14 PM   #6
RiverY
RiverY
RiverY shines like a glazed doughnut.RiverY shines like a glazed doughnut.RiverY shines like a glazed doughnut.RiverY shines like a glazed doughnut.RiverY shines like a glazed doughnut.RiverY shines like a glazed doughnut.RiverY shines like a glazed doughnut.RiverY shines like a glazed doughnut.RiverY shines like a glazed doughnut.RiverY shines like a glazed doughnut.RiverY shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindles, Sony, & nc
What a great offer. I love Baen. I have read most of the Miles books and looking forward to reading them again along with the new title.
RiverY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:20 PM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
A lot of people label the Vorkosian Saga as military SF but it really isn't.
It is really mainstream character-and-ideas SF with a strong character-driven focus.
The confusion arises because the core character of the series, Miles Vorkosigan is from a militaristic society (for good and valid reasons, actually) and in his younger days is determined to excel in the military (for good and valid reasons).
However, despite the military background, the stories are *not* about soldiers or battles or campaigns.
Some are capers, some are (murder) mysteries, one is a comedy of manners, and all are about human passions and foibles playing out on strange but recognizable worlds.
And because the author is a very good writer with something to say about human nature, they are excellent examples of contemporary SF.
Highly recommended.

If in doubt, give Cetaganda a try. Or Mountains of Morning.
The novels are self-contained and can be read in any order.
But if you're willing to commit to the full series, just jump in at the beginning; Shards of Honor, and meet Miles' parents and *their* contemporaries.
Very much worth buying and it helps they are available at fair prices and DRM free from BAEN.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:54 AM   #8
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
A lot of people label the Vorkosian Saga as military SF but it really isn't.
It is really mainstream character-and-ideas SF with a strong character-driven focus.
I'll amend my description of the Vorkosigan saga as occasionally Military SF. "The Warriors Apprentice" is pretty much Military SF, but fjtorres is correct that many are not.

Whatever you want to call the series, they're well worth your time and effort.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:42 AM   #9
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
"The Warriors Apprentice" - where Miles single-handedly conquers an entire star system? It is not military SF, it is young adult fiction.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:22 PM   #10
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Well, Miles is 17 when that happens. But the books mature as he does.

Also, this thread needs more Chalion love.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 03:22 AM   #11
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
My name is R. Komar, and my surname isn't very common, so I was kind of shocked when I first saw a book titled "Komarr". I flipped to the first page to see if it was any good, and read: "The last gleaming sliver of Komarr's true-sun melted out of sight beyond the low hills on the western horizon." WTF is a true-sun? What a load of crap! I put it down, shaking my head, but returned after a while thinking that no matter how bad it was, I had to read it with that title.

Well, as I'm sure Bujold fans already know, the book turned out to be well-written, and the characters were easy to become emotionally attached to. I've downloaded the Cryoburn CD and added the books to my TBR list, and am really looking forward to reading the other Miles Vorkosigan books. I would probably have never tried any of her books if not for the bizarre coincidence of that title. It's weird and wonderful how some books barge into one's life and refuse to be ignored.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 03:17 PM   #12
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
One of my favorite series that I already own most of the books of. Nice to be able to get the ebook versions as well.

Kudos to Bujold and Baen Books for making this available.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:40 PM   #13
GoblinWriter
vizsla wrangler
GoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting WindowsGoblinWriter format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Kindle 3G
I originally bought Cryoburn as an ebook ARC (it was out a couple months before the hardback), but now I can see I'm going to have to go back and get the hardback so I can get all those others as ebooks. I have the rest of the series in paperback.

Her Chalion books (fantasy) are also good. I wasn't a fan of the Sharing Knife series (more of a slow-paced romance), but she's done with those.

I'll be interested to see what's next up. I heard a rumor she is doing another Vorkosigan book with Ivan as the star.
GoblinWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:46 PM   #14
jgaiser
Omnivorous

You know... I'm pissed at whichever one of you guys(gals) got me started with Ms. Bujold.

Here I am, trying to slog through Keith Richard's "Life" and instead I'm fully sidetracked with "Miles Errant" and The Borders of Infinity.

How can you expect me to get anything useful done when I keep getting interrupted like this...
Old 12-12-2010, 09:39 PM   #15
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
You know... I'm pissed at whichever one of you guys(gals) got me started with Ms. Bujold.

Here I am, trying to slog through Keith Richard's "Life" and instead I'm fully sidetracked with "Miles Errant" and The Borders of Infinity.

How can you expect me to get anything useful done when I keep getting interrupted like this...
It was probably me. I started a Bujold thread a couple of months ago. She is oh-so-high on my list of favorite authors.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote