Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 01-08-2010, 09:45 AM   #1
Adri
Adri began at the beginning.

Device: Opus
Problem Upgrading Opus

I am having a problem upgrading my Opus.The Opus does not seem to recognize the microSD card on boot up. What I mean by this is if you insert the card and switch on the Opus it starts up normally, it does not matter how long you hold in the center key. Once it has started up the microSD card is not visible.

When you however take the microSD card out and put it back in it (with the Opus on) it immediately shows.

Anybody have any ideas?

Adri
Adri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:32 PM   #2
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
The only thing I can think of is that you might be pressing down on another button at the same time as the center button. Some users have reported that using a pencil to push the center button while the device is on a flat surface helps.

Also make sure that the firmware update file is on the root of the microSD card. It should not be in any folders.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:43 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
All I can really suggest is that you try using a different card.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:47 AM   #4
Adri

I received the below reply from Bookeen support:
Concerning the problem that the Cybook has to recognize the SD cards, we invite you to do the following:
1) Switch your Cybook on
2) Insert the micro SD card with the kernel file (this file has to be placed at the root of the SD card formatted FAT32 with no other files)
3) If it is recognised a SD logo appears on the lower right corner of the screen
4) Switch the device off (let the card inside)
5) Switch again the Cybook on and check if the SD logo appears
6) If yes, you can switch off the device and then switch on again to install the firmware (follow the instructions of the “readme” document attached)
7) If no, try again from step 1) to 5) or try with another card.

With some Cybook Opus we have faced the same problem but we could finally upgrade them after several attempts.

Please let us know about the result, thank you.

For your information, the only way to upgrade the Cybook is with a SD card.

Best regards,
Bookeen Support Team
Old 01-12-2010, 08:50 AM   #5
Adri

My reply to Bookeen support:
Hi

I have tried 4 different SD cards.
Two 512 Mb cards are recognized when they are inserted after the Cybook is on.
One 512 Mb card is not recognized at all.
One 4 Gb card hangs the Cybook.

I have switched the Cybook on and off numerous time with one of the cards recognised inside.

None of the cards are recognized on boot up.

All were formatted as FAT32.

Anything else I can try?
Old 01-13-2010, 06:58 PM   #6
dki
Connoisseur
dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim X5; RCA 1100; Augen The Book, PRS350x2, Sony T1, Kobo AuraHD
Yes, my Gen3 does not recognize SD cards and yes, I tried different capacities and manufacturers, and this was from the get go, when I received the replacement for my "broken screen" Gen3 at a cost of over $200. At that point I emailed Booken, but I decided to live without SD card, it was just too much bother. However, when the update came out, I wanted to install it, so after over two weeks of yelling and screaming at Booken, I got this email explaining how to flash update sans SD. Note - this is for Gen3, so you might want to check with them if the same thing would work for Opus (I imagine the name of the kernel would be opus_upgrade). Here it is:

Madam,

We apologise for the delay of our answer.

Our technical team has worked on a way to upgrade the Cybook without using a SD card.

First of all you need to download the firmware upgrade and change the name of the update kernel file for: cybook_upgrade

Then, we invite you to follow this procedure:

1) The Cybook has to be well charged

2) Connect the device to a computer via the USB cable

3) Turn it on; the connected screen appears

4) Copy the Cybook_upgrade at the root of the Cybook (beside the folders “ebooks”, “pictures”…)

5) Once the file is in the Cybook, take the USB cable off. The installation of the firmware upgrade has to begin.

6) After about 2 minutes the light of the device flashes, wait a little bit.

7) Push the reset button (the device turns off and the light as well)

8) Plug back the USB cable and switch the Cybook on

9) Access the internal memory of the Cybook. The Cybook_upgrade file must have disappeared. If it is not the case, delete it.

10) Disconnect the Cybook, wait until the library appears

11) Congratulations! Your Cybook has been upgraded.

12) In order to check the version of the device: Menu>Advanced>About

Please let us know about the result.

Best regards,

Bookeen Support Team

Bookeen - www.bookeen.com

Ubibooks - www.ubibooks.com

This worked for me.

dki
dki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:50 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dki View Post
Note - this is for Gen3, so you might want to check with them if the same thing would work for Opus (I imagine the name of the kernel would be opus_upgrade).
I doubt it. The firmware of the two machines is identical, and the Opus is a "Cybook".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:12 AM   #8
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
Good to know we don't need a SD card to upgrade it, finally !
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:20 AM   #9
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Good to finally know that we don't need an SD card to upgrade it
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:46 AM   #10
GUIZMOW
Enthusiast
GUIZMOW doesn't litterGUIZMOW doesn't litterGUIZMOW doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3
From a Bookeen mail, it seems that this procedure can damaged the Cybook if its not exactly the same model as the one from dki. I would not try my luck. As you know there are different model of Cybooks, even different Cybook Gen3, into the wild, so we should take care.
dki, could you tell me what model do you have?
Did someone tried it with another Cybook and if so what model is it?
Did it work or did it crash?

thanks in advance for your answer as it will make us know if this can work or not.
Guiz
GUIZMOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:00 PM   #11
GUIZMOW
Enthusiast
GUIZMOW doesn't litterGUIZMOW doesn't litterGUIZMOW doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3
Just being carefull
and happy new year
GUIZMOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:56 PM   #12
erwinb
erwinb began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Opus
solution for not recognized sd-card and update...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adri View Post
My reply to Bookeen support:
Hi

I have tried 4 different SD cards.
Two 512 Mb cards are recognized when they are inserted after the Cybook is on.
One 512 Mb card is not recognized at all.
One 4 Gb card hangs the Cybook.

I have switched the Cybook on and off numerous time with one of the cards recognised inside.

None of the cards are recognized on boot up.

All were formatted as FAT32.

Anything else I can try?
Hi!
I had the same problem and worked out a solution for me. Perhaps it works for someone else, too?

I must say beforehand that my opus recognized the sd-cards only after I re-inserted them after the opus was running. Try this out before performing the following steps:

This is how it worked for me (Quoted from my reply to the Opus Hotline):
----------
- I used an SD-Card, formatted with fat32 (SDHC 8GByte) as you described and copied the "update_kernel" file on it.
- I switched off the Cybook.
- Took out the SD-Card, but let it loosely in the slot.
- I switched on the Cybook.
- As soon as the logo appeared (after a few seconds), I pressed the center key. (As is stated for the update process.)
- Directly after pressing the center key I inserted the SD-Card (the Cybook still booting).
- The update started!
- With the new firmware the SD-Card is found by the Cybook directly after booting without having to insert it anew.
--------------
I can imagine that this might need a few tries, too. Until one hits the right moment during boot-up..
For me it worked on first try.

Since the update file is on the sd card I guess you can´t harm your Opus with this. But of course no warranty.

Good luck,

erwinb
----------
erwinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:35 PM   #13
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
I know that there was bugs in the SD recognition on older software during boot. Maybe they correct it now?

Anyway, I'm happy to know that it's finaly works for you, but be carful, you may harm your SD card by doing such a thing..
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:02 PM   #14
dki
Connoisseur
dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim X5; RCA 1100; Augen The Book, PRS350x2, Sony T1, Kobo AuraHD
Booken sent me this:

We noticed that you published on the Mobileread Forum the procedure we provided you in our previous email. Please take into account that this procedure is specific for the model of your Gen3 and is not available for other models. If people read this information and try to upgrade their device they could damage it if they do not have the same model as you have. We would appreciate if you could precise this detail on the forum.

Best regards,

Bookeen Support Team

I have not noticed any warning in their original email as to the procedure being model-specific, and possibly damaging for other models. On the contrary, it said: "Our technical team has worked on a way to upgrade the Cybook without using a SD card." Not your cybook, or your cybook model, or anything like that. But maybe I'm dyslexic.

My model is CYBGEN310B. I guess everybody who has the same problem and a different model needs to get in touch with booken to get a specifically tailored procedure. I see that they don't like their lives easy, and want to make specific procedures for each model. That's probably why the next upgrade will be available really, really soon.

dki
dki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:32 PM   #15
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
for the improvement of communication with customer
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote