Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 11-29-2006, 09:19 PM   #1
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
eBookwise sale

So, if you are like me, and none of the new eInk devices seem to quite fit your reading habits, or you are just looking for a less expensive option, eBookwise is offering a bit of a discount for the holidays. It's not much, but ten bucks off, and free shipping in the US, has me thinking about it...

It seems like it will play nicely with my Mac and my own content, now if only the store had more of the books I'd want...

Jack
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 04:54 PM   #2
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Hey Jack, actually I am a Mac guy and I own an eBookwise reader and I really love it. I recently upgraded to a Sony Reader, but my 16 year old son reads on the ebookwise and loves it. I think the eBookwise is the best reader out there in terms of price and value. Don't get me wrong, I love my Sony Reader more (because of the gadget geek in me), but it is too expensive for what it does. E-ink does look lovely, but the eBookwise backlight is very handy and I liked the ergonomics of it better.

There is Mac software out there for the conversion of text and html to the eBookwise .imp format (eBook Builder). I actually found the file conversion to .imp to work better and easier than making really good looking Sony Reader files. Of course, the Sony Reader can read .rtf and .txt with no conversion, but sometimes the formatting is a bit off. I'm pretty picky about that kind of stuff.

So to sum it up, if you want a straight-up, solid easy-to-use reader, eBookwise is your best bet. You will be WAY happier reading on it rather than a PDA. Battery life is really very good too. I always had mine set on a low backlight setting and you can get a good 19-21 hours on it before having to charge.

Oddly enough though, even with my eBookwise, I always read with a lamp on in my bedroom, just because I like the ambiance of a nice soft light by my bed as I read. So when I switched over to the Sony Reader, I didn't miss the backlight as much as most people. And I am lucky in the fact that my girlfriend can sleep with the lights on so I get no complaints from her.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote