Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-12-2011, 06:49 PM   #1
Xqtftqx
Enthusiast
Xqtftqx doesn't litterXqtftqx doesn't litterXqtftqx doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3G
Easy debian install with prebuilt image.

Hey guys, ive been working on running a stable debian on the kindle for a bit now and i think im on the point of release.

Ive written a step by step guide on how to install a 500mb debian image onto the kindle, you can view it on my new blog here: http://xkid.biz/wordpress/?p=4

Thanks! Any troubles leave a comment on the blog or here

EDIT: Sound works

EDIT: Alright, so our first problem is terminfo and $TERM with the onscreen terminal. Thinks like irssi wont properly scroll unless these are fixed.

EDIT: May 14th: New bootdebian.sh file i suggest you upgrade.

Last edited by Xqtftqx; 05-14-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Xqtftqx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:12 PM   #2
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
This is cool, but what's the advantage of this over the linux system built in on the Kindle? You can easily add ARM binaries of programs found in debian.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:18 PM   #3
Xiaopangzi
Enthusiast
Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: kindle k3, prs-t2
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
This is cool, but what's the advantage of this over the linux system built in on the Kindle? You can easily add ARM binaries of programs found in debian.
1. Package management with automatic handling of dependencies.

2. Chrooting into dedicated environment means it is impossible to brick the Kindle.
Xiaopangzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:44 PM   #4
univert
univert began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi Xqtftqx, which generation of kindle did you experiment? DXG or 3?
univert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:03 PM   #5
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Thank you for doing this, do you have instructions for installing reading software after installing debian?
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:11 AM   #6
Xqtftqx
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaopangzi View Post
1. Package management with automatic handling of dependencies.

2. Chrooting into dedicated environment means it is impossible to brick the Kindle.
Exactly this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by univert View Post
Hi Xqtftqx, which generation of kindle did you experiment? DXG or 3?
I use a kindle 3, with 3g.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
Thank you for doing this, do you have instructions for installing reading software after installing debian?
Not at the moment, im working on getting tinyx to run. Once that is done, youll be able to run some kind of reading software.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:50 PM   #7
borghal
borghal began at the beginning.

Device: K3w
Got it running, but no internet connection?

Hi, thank you for providing a debian chroot!

I followed your instructions and got it all working, however a simple
Code:
apt-get update
isn't working as there seems to be no internet connection. I am running a K3W with wireless on, what can I do to let debian use the WIFI?

* edit: Got it working once I figured out I needed to start debian without usbNetwork connection to do it.

Last edited by borghal; 05-13-2011 at 05:41 PM.
borghal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:57 PM   #8
Xqtftqx
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by borghal View Post
Hi, thank you for providing a debian chroot!

I followed your instructions and got it all working, however a simple
Code:
apt-get update
isn't working as there seems to be no internet connection. I am running a K3W with wireless on, what can I do to let debian use the WIFI?

* edit: Got it working once I figured out I needed to start debian without usbNetwork connection to do it.
Glad you got it working

EDIT: Just tried mplayer, it works perfectly So sound problems will be solved with no extra work needed \o/

Last edited by Xqtftqx; 05-13-2011 at 11:13 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:03 AM   #9
bubnikv
bubnikv began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Hello.

I tried a similar setup. When running on flash disk, it is recommended to mount the root filesystem with noatime parameter to disable updating the access time whenever a file is accessed:

mount -o loop,noatime /mnt/us/debian-armel-750.img /mnt/debian

Other than that, you did not mount devpts. I am not sure what difference it makes:
mount -t devpts devpts /mnt/debian/dev/pts

I wonder how the Debian will wear the flash drive. Flash filesystems have limited number of write cycles. Therefore Kindle mounts most of the file system as read only and creates ramdisks for working file systems. I would strongly recommend this approach with the debian armel on Kindle, but I have no sufficient knowledge of Linux anymore to answer which folders shall be mounted to ramdisks on Debian.

BTW, I don't think you can brick your Kindle as long as the root filesystem is mounted read only.

Vojtech
bubnikv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:24 AM   #10
Xqtftqx
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubnikv View Post
Hello.

I tried a similar setup. When running on flash disk, it is recommended to mount the root filesystem with noatime parameter to disable updating the access time whenever a file is accessed:

mount -o loop,noatime /mnt/us/debian-armel-750.img /mnt/debian

Other than that, you did not mount devpts. I am not sure what difference it makes:
mount -t devpts devpts /mnt/debian/dev/pts

I wonder how the Debian will wear the flash drive. Flash filesystems have limited number of write cycles. Therefore Kindle mounts most of the file system as read only and creates ramdisks for working file systems. I would strongly recommend this approach with the debian armel on Kindle, but I have no sufficient knowledge of Linux anymore to answer which folders shall be mounted to ramdisks on Debian.

BTW, I don't think you can brick your Kindle as long as the root filesystem is mounted read only.

Vojtech
Thanks for the tips ill edit my chroot. Writing reading cycles shouldn't be much of a problem. If your kindle can no longer read/write its flash im sure amazon will replace it (Or bestbuy warranty \o/)
Old 05-16-2011, 03:19 AM   #11
borghal
borghal began at the beginning.

Device: K3w
I tried playing an mp3 file with mplayer but sound was very choppy. You got it working fine?

Also I have to do so as root, as normal users can't access sound the device. Could you point me to which permissions I must tweak to run sound as user, not root? I'd love to have cmus running.

Oh, and one more question (sorry if they seem too n00by): How can I access the kindle file system from within the chroot?

Thanks a million for providing debian, I really love having newsbeuter running to have instant access to my newsfeeds
borghal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:01 PM   #12
bubnikv
bubnikv began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
> Oh, and one more question (sorry if they seem too n00by): How can I access the kindle file system from within the chroot?

You will have to mount the root fs (or some subfolder of it) into the mounted debian subfolder.

Vojtech
bubnikv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:31 AM   #13
tomashg
tomashg began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3W
alot of thanks for this great tutorial

i noticed that after exiting ./bootdebian.sh it doesn't really unmount /mnt/debian correctly.

Code:
[*]Unmounting Rootfs...
umount: /mnt/debian: device is busy
adding these lines in your script before 'umount /mnt/debian' seems to correct it

Code:
echo "[*]Unmounting Rootfs..."
umount /mnt/debian/dev
umount /mnt/debian/proc
umount /mnt/debian/sys
umount /mnt/debian
tomashg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:41 PM   #14
Xqtftqx
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomashg View Post
alot of thanks for this great tutorial

i noticed that after exiting ./bootdebian.sh it doesn't really unmount /mnt/debian correctly.

Code:
[*]Unmounting Rootfs...
adding these lines in your script before 'umount /mnt/debian' seems to correct it

Code:
echo "[*]Unmounting Rootfs..."
umount /mnt/debian/dev
umount /mnt/debian/proc
umount /mnt/debian/sys
umount /mnt/debian
I love this community, i put the unount on there just for a little test :P never bothered to see if it worked. I added this to the latest script.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:53 PM   #15
kdgarris
Connoisseur
kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.kdgarris is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi
This is awesome - it is really cool being able to apt-get new software on my Kindle!
kdgarris is offline   Reply With Quote