Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-02-2010, 01:11 PM   #1
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Judge berates prosecution in Xbox modding trial

Not strictly ebook related, but related to issues of copyright control and DRM.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...x-judge-riled/

One does wonder why it's illegal to modify a piece of electronics that you own, but not illegal to modify your car or your kitchen, say. Or anything else you bought legally.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:24 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The man was allegedly running a business modifying X-Box consoles to allow them to run pirated games. If true, that's a pretty flagrant violation of the DMCA.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:29 PM   #3
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
Wow. Not sure how this will play out, but more power to the defendant. If he was customizing computers there wouldn't be a problem, but because it is a 'game console' he is in deep doggie doo?

What happened next? Didn't this happen yesterday? Did they just continue the trial at 1:30?

Last edited by mrscoach; 12-02-2010 at 01:32 PM.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:34 PM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I'm of the opinion that once you purchase a product, it's yours to do with as you please. But laws being what they are, I'm not surprised by the absurdity of this trial.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:38 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscoach View Post
Wow. Not sure how this will play out, but more power to the defendant. If he was customizing computers there wouldn't be a problem, but because it is a 'game console' he is in deep doggie doo?
The law would apply equally to computers and games consoles. Selling or distributing DRM-circumvention devices is a criminal offence under the DMCA.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:54 PM   #6
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But didn't the mod let the user also write their own software or run backups of their own games?
Old 12-02-2010, 02:04 PM   #7
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I find it interesting that the government has a manual about such things that says a defendant must be aware that action x is against the law and yet the prosecutor tried to argue that such understanding wasn't necessary.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:09 PM   #8
mrscoach
Guru

I also find it interesting that two of the witnesses performed illegal acts themselves, one one THIS case, evidently. And the other guy admits to modding while in college, but now works for 'the man' and thinks it is wrong and helping the prosecution.

I get that hackers switch over all the time, a friend of my son's did, but they usually work on protecting systems, not going after perps. If they do go to court I think it is only fair that it is disclosed that they did the very same actions the defendant is charged with.

clarification: my son's friend was a hacker, not my son. He didn't, and doesn't want to, know how to hack the Pentagon or any other computer.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:09 PM   #9
Doug Huffman
Banned
Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.

Location: Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
Device: KINDLE 3 WiFi
Is there anyone here a geek old enough to remember the sainted Richard Nelson of eduCalc,and his Personal Pocket Computer club, and how far we pushed the Hewlett Packard HP-41? It went far beyond what its original programmers imagined. At some point we claimed that our PPC chip had the most man-years of development of any consumer product at that time. I still have my HP-41 and with new batteries it probably still works. I use my HP-48 every day.
Doug Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:19 PM   #10
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscoach View Post
I also find it interesting that two of the witnesses performed illegal acts themselves, one one THIS case, evidently. And the other guy admits to modding while in college, but now works for 'the man' and thinks it is wrong and helping the prosecution.

I get that hackers switch over all the time, a friend of my son's did, but they usually work on protecting systems, not going after perps. If they do go to court I think it is only fair that it is disclosed that they did the very same actions the defendant is charged with.

clarification: my son's friend was a hacker, not my son. He didn't, and doesn't want to, know how to hack the Pentagon or any other computer.
hehehe... my son hacks the CIA, State Department, FBI and Pentagon every day. but then again, he's paid to do it!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:09 PM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The man was allegedly running a business modifying X-Box consoles to allow them to run pirated games. If true, that's a pretty flagrant violation of the DMCA.
Yes. The defense pretty much has to go for jury nullification, and they already seem to have partially nullified the judge. The argument against convicting him is that he modded X-boxes in his living room. Is it really worth the federal courts time to throw the book at him for this penny ante stuff?
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:17 PM   #12
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I'm of the opinion that once you purchase a product, it's yours to do with as you please.
I can also swing my arms as much as I like but my right to do that stop when my fist hit another person's face...

Same with free speech in the US. I can speak my mind all I want by my freedom of speech ends when I yell "FIRE!" at a theater.

You can modify what you own all you want until you use it to violate another law... in this case the copy protection of games...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:18 PM   #13
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Yes. The defense pretty much has to go for jury nullification, and they already seem to have partially nullified the judge. The argument against convicting him is that he modded X-boxes in his living room. Is it really worth the federal courts time to throw the book at him for this penny ante stuff?
One person may be penny ante stuff but when you take into account everyone that is doing it you are talking pretty serious amount of money.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:22 PM   #14
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
You can modify what you own all you want until you use it to violate another law.
He isn't being prosecuted because he modded his own X-box, which is probably legal, but because he modded other people's X-boxes.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:46 PM   #15
rcuadro
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
He isn't being prosecuted because he modded his own X-box, which is probably legal, but because he modded other people's X-boxes.
Mainly for the purpose of playing hacked games...