Notices

Old 11-13-2010, 04:45 PM   #1
soulartist
Enthusiast
soulartist began at the beginning.

Device: none
TOC to ePub Issue

InDesign CS5; MacOS 10.6.5

When I export my TOC document to ePub, the TOC doesn't show—only the last two pages containing text and an image.

The TOC has defined paragraph styles. I think I have my export settings correct.

Help in isolating this issue is appreciated.

Note: Viewing other documents in the book via export to ePub do show up correctly—although the book does need formatting tweaking for ePub.

Also, when I tried exporting the entire book via the book panel, InDesign begins the export, but no activity in the progress bar; I have to force quit to get out the endless loop. Then, when I restart InDesign, untitled files begin to open—10, 20 and so on; I then have to manually close each file.

I suspect the TOC is causing this issue.
soulartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:14 PM   #2
soulartist
Enthusiast
soulartist began at the beginning.

Device: none
More details

Let me add the following to this issue:

1) My book has 53 chapters (each within its own file), some 500 pages.

2) I did a preflight and no errors.

3) I exported the book as a PDF with no issues.

4) When I try exporting the book to ePub, apparently InDesign is looking for something it can't find to complete the process; creating an endless loop—application not responding. So, I then have to force quit. I let the beach ball run for over 10 minutes with no export happening in the progress bar.

5) Is there a known bug in this instance? Or a setting in the export options dialog box that needs correcting?

A) Digital Editions Export: I've also tried exporting with the default TOC style, but no help there, either.

B) Book palette: After I set up for ePub export (but cancelled), the palette indicates that a number of files are open—they are not!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	digital_export.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	61224   Click image for larger version

Name:	book_palette.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	61225  
soulartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 03:54 PM   #3
KLUTCH
Enthusiast
KLUTCH began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPad, iPhone 4, HTC Desire
I havn't heard of this issue before I'm afraid. It's hard to see if they are not open as master pages etc somewhere else in the application without seeing it.

I guess if you can preflight it you must have an epub exported if its the html toc not showing it is probably an issue with the html.
I can generate an html contents page for you if you have the toc.ncx file?
Feel free to email me ed at stunjelly.com

---
stunjelly.com
ebook formatting and repairs
KLUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:03 AM   #4
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Soul artist, try starting with something simpler. Make a new book file and add just a couple of the chapters and see if you get the same result. I stopped using CS5 because it breaks my hyperlinks so I can't say from experience about it hanging when exporting. InDesign creates a file for each open file to open in case the program crashes. That's why it's opening up all the files. So you can save unsaved changes.

How many levels does your TOC have?
If it's just the one for chapter names only make sure INCLUDE INDESIGN TOC is unchecked.
Try with first level chapter breaks on and off to see your results (with the short book)
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote