Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Is the Glo's minimum light setting too bright for a dark room?
Yes 92 54.44%
No 61 36.09%
Undecided 16 9.47%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-09-2012, 06:59 AM   #31
eXistenZ
Connoisseur
eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Kobo GLO
I voted yes, in total darkness minimum light is still too bright, so one more step or two down on the light slider and/or white text on black would make every one of us happy. Hoping to se them in a future firmware. There are official kobo software developers on the forum?
eXistenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:46 AM   #32
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
You have completely missed the point. We are complaining because the MINIMUM adjustment is not low enough for us when reading in total darkness. We want to be able to make it even lower.
I dont think so. I think people just like to complain because thats the nature of the human existance. Regardless everyone is different we all want and need different things. Your opinion and my opinion on the light levels are just that our opinions and in the scheme of things have very little impact on the real world.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:29 PM   #33
Fuchikoma
Fuchikoma began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Too bright in total dark, i cant read it hurts.
I'm disappointed by this feature.
Fuchikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:07 AM   #34
Tzar
World War II buff
Tzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beautyTzar does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
I dont think so. I think people just like to complain because thats the nature of the human existance. Regardless everyone is different we all want and need different things. Your opinion and my opinion on the light levels are just that our opinions and in the scheme of things have very little impact on the real world.

regards

Jack
I would respectfully tell you that if you find the brightness setting right, don't go implying other people who have a different opinion are whiners because "complaining is the nature of human existence". Such arguments are disparaging of others opinion, which defeats the purpose of a discussion forum.

Instead of resorting to such dubious arguments, just state that you find the brightness fine, or skip that discussion thread simply.

Last edited by Tzar; 11-13-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Tzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:10 AM   #35
thp1017
Connoisseur
thp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavensthp1017 is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kobo, KT, KGlo, H2O, Libra
I think I'm using it at the lowest level with lights on overhead, just to get that extra bit of contrast, and it works well. In mixed light, I think I had it a bit higher, but the maximum just seems absurd!

Trying to read in the dark, though, made my eyes hurt a bit - so I'd be happy to the "minimum" light level be less, if possible.
thp1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:44 AM   #36
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
I found the light far too bright, even on the lowest setting. So much so that I've reluctantly bought a Kindle Paperwhite, although I'd far prefer to stay with Kobo.
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #37
junobeach
junobeach has a spectacular aura aboutjunobeach has a spectacular aura aboutjunobeach has a spectacular aura aboutjunobeach has a spectacular aura aboutjunobeach has a spectacular aura aboutjunobeach has a spectacular aura aboutjunobeach has a spectacular aura aboutjunobeach has a spectacular aura aboutjunobeach has a spectacular aura aboutjunobeach has a spectacular aura aboutjunobeach has a spectacular aura about

Device: kobo glo
I find it weird to read in total dark, I don't know if that's to do with the brightness or just the fact that it's completely dark except for my screen though. I suppose I can support making the lowest setting less bright regardless.

I love the light in low-light situations though.
junobeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:25 AM   #38
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
Mine is fine, ow level at night in a dark room, medium to high if a lamp is on. I don't use it during daylight..
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:17 PM   #39
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Minimum is not too bright for me, between about 10% and 40% is all I use. But the brightest setting is just silly, it is so bright it washes out the text.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:55 PM   #40
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I find it perfect for a very dim room, but every so slightly too bright for comfortable reading in pitch blackness. I can manage it, but I'd like the option to go even less bright.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:15 PM   #41
Teryx
Teryx began at the beginning.

I don't necessarily find it too bright, but I could definitely stand to see a lower minimum brightness level, especially when reading in a completely dark room.

I hadn't realized I'd been missing a night/inverted mode until it was pointed out here, though - that would be a great feature!
Teryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:13 PM   #42
ArmorDog
Connoisseur
ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi and Kobo Touch and Kobo Glo and Kobo H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Minimum is not too bright for me, between about 10% and 40% is all I use. But the brightest setting is just silly, it is so bright it washes out the text.
Agreed.
You'd go blind reading at maximum brightness.
Maybe it's so you can use your Glo as a flashlight in a pinch.
ArmorDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:12 PM   #43
staropram
staropram began at the beginning.

Way too bright on minimum level. It hurts my eyes in a totally dark room after about 2 minutes.

I'm annoyed because I bought it based on the marketing saying I would be able to "enjoy an incredible reading experience even in the middle of the night.". I took this to mean it would be readable in complete darkness, which for my eyes, it isn't. Well, not without being uncomforable, which kind of defeats the point. If you're listening Kobo: sort out the minimum brightness.

staropram
staropram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:40 PM   #44
Illyria
Connoisseur
Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK, K5, K7, KPW3
Yes, a bit less bright would be more comfortable. I find that if I'm already rather tired and just want to read a few minutes to get into a sleeping mood, the light even on the lowest setting hurts my eyes. That's why I love the night mode feature on the Cybook Odyssey (white text, black background). For reading in the dark it's just perfect (even if ghosting is a bit more noticeable).
Illyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:57 PM   #45
luchtgitaar
luchtgitaar began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
So is it even possible to 'fix this issue' with a firmware update or is it the hardware?
luchtgitaar is offline   Reply With Quote