Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-17-2010, 03:26 AM   #1
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
What apps are you planning to install on the iPad

If you were to obtain an iPad what sort of apps would you install on it?

Since I'm not familiar with Apples app-store I have no idea of the availability of good useful apps. But I know of two I would try to get.

Goodreader
http://www.goodiware.com/goodreader.html

Stanza
http://www.lexcycle.com/
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:16 AM   #2
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I'll be waiting a while before I seriously entertain the possibility of purchasing an iPad, and by that time, I'll have a better feel for what apps will run on it and be useful for me. I'm sure that its release will yield a pretty big boost in app development, and perhaps some good apps will come out of it.

Or not. Who knows?
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2010, 06:20 AM   #3
deltop
Zealot
deltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo
Comiczeal, txtr, Stanza and PressReader.
deltop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:20 AM   #4
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
FreeBooks
Stanza
CIA World Factbook
The Weather Channel
Touch Bible
StoreIt
L FreeCell
Hearts Solo
Chess Free
IMDB
Free Dictionary
USA Today
Fluent News
Real Racing
White Pages
Carta
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:17 AM   #5
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Not getting an iPad myself, but I'm having a *great* time with interactive fiction (Frotz) on my iPod touch, mostly because Goodreader makes it so easy to access the support documents. I installed the PDF manuals and maps from the Infocom "Masterpieces" CD, and Peter Scheyen's HTML-ized invisiclues documents , and I'm good to go.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2010, 10:08 AM   #6
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
Not getting an iPad myself, but I'm having a *great* time with interactive fiction (Frotz) on my iPod touch, mostly because Goodreader makes it so easy to access the support documents. I installed the PDF manuals and maps from the Infocom "Masterpieces" CD, and Peter Scheyen's HTML-ized invisiclues documents , and I'm good to go.
curtw, thanks for the link. I was a great fan of the Zork and the other text adventures. I haven't played them in many a year but perhaps with the keyboard on the iPad being bigger I will take them up again. I'm glad you reminded me of them. I also played them on my old Apple II - adventures by Scott - can't remember of that was his first or last name. Anyway, loads of fun.

Last edited by The Old Man; 02-17-2010 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Scott Adams
Old 02-17-2010, 01:10 PM   #7
JWLaRue
Addict
JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (blue, of course!)
...Scott Adams perhaps?

The first adventure games I played were the Crowther/Woods version on the PDP-10 and very first VAX/VMS systems. (nothing like dating myself, eh?)

-Jeff
JWLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:35 PM   #8
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Plants vs Zombies.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 03:11 PM   #9
bugladydi
bugladydi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1, iPhone
I cannot wait for the iPad! I plan on installing most everything from my iPhone including:

Omnifocus
eWallet
Kindle
eReader
Lose it
XM Radio
Dictionary
Home Budget
Listomi
Planets
Facebook
The Weather Channel
Note Printer
iDisk
Bejeweled
Solitaire
Around Me
Yelp
All my unit converters

Now if only Pocket Quicken would be made available for these devices I would be so happy! I probably miss that app more than any from my Palm and WM days!

I also plan on looking into apps with a journaling function. Typing on the iPhone is not easy for me as I have long nails and cannot press straight down on the keys. I hope the larger iPad keyboard will help.
bugladydi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 03:38 PM   #10
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugladydi View Post
Now if only Pocket Quicken would be made available for these devices I would be so happy! I probably miss that app more than any from my Palm and WM days!
I'm also a Pocket Quicken fan!
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:31 AM   #11
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I have no idea what kind of software I'll put on the iPad because I've waited on buying an iPod Touch and I have no use for an iPhone. So I don't know much of what's out there.

My son lent me his iPod Touch to watch a movie. Ten minutes in, my eyes were filled with tears from the strain so I gave up on it till a bigger screen comes along. The iPhone? I get less than 5 minutes a month of call time so the monthly expense is not worth it. But the iPad, that I will get.

I might put a cad drawing ap or some other vector driven drawing ap. I'll see when I get the iPad.

Last edited by yvanleterrible; 02-21-2010 at 11:28 AM.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:07 AM   #12
The Old Man
Fanatic

I agree, my iTouch is not very good for sustained reading. I use it mostly for audiobooks, podcasts and some music.
However there are apps that are simply great for quick lookup. The CIA factobook, a dictionary, the weather, contacts, email, the bible and a personal database of sundry items. I am really looking forward to the iPad for the Internet and ebooks.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:14 AM   #13
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
I agree, my iTouch is not very good for sustained reading. I use it mostly for audiobooks, podcasts and some music.
However there are apps that are simply great for quick lookup. The CIA factobook, a dictionary, the weather, contacts, email, the bible and a personal database of sundry items. I am really looking forward to the iPad for the Internet and ebooks.
Internet will be great on it.

I've started bugging my magazine subscription editors for PDF issues.
Fine Woodworking and HomePower are my favoritesand they already offer CDroms with back issues. What I'd like to get is a special email delivery kind of suscription. I wonder if it's possible.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 05:14 AM   #14
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Brushes and some of the drawing programs. I love to play with them on my ipod touch, but have been dreaming of a larger screen. Brushes is very capable - several covers of the New Yorker have been done on the iphone with it. If anyone is interested, there are demos at You Tube.

In terms of reading apps, I really like my sony reader, (505), and its great for novels and prose centred books. But the ability to branch out to ebooks and magazines which repy on coloured illustrations, & photos, etc, all on one device is very exciting. I'm working my way through a behemoth computer manual right now. The thought of having in it and its cousins condensed down into a tiny file instead of big chucks of bookcase real estate is exciting.

Plus, Omar Sharif's Bridge game app is fun too.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:59 PM   #15
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Just noticed there's a PressDisplay app for the iPhone / iPod Touch. This is a must have for me!
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ipad apps